Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

New Hampshire accepts Venezuelan oil, Los Angeles Times, South American communist Hugo Chavez, boycott oil, Citgo stores, 7-11 dropped out of contracts, block cheap heating

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 08:22 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcewan View Post
Why do you think it is submitting? Who is submitting what? Are we talking about pride?

You don't think the US exploits other nations for our own gain? Of course we do. Just as other nation exploit us. Heck, trade is exploitation (fair or otherwise).

Texas. California. Alaska (bought). Hawaii. Pueto Rico (war prize territory). A bit of Cuba. Guam. The Philippines for a time. All pretty dodgy acquisitions.

And the rest of the world too.
They're not OUR corporations. The are - as you say - owned by the shareholders - which are not exclusively US citizens. Those non-domestic shareholders neither hold or owe allegiance to to the country in which the corporation happens to be headquartered. Hence the term Multi-Nationals.

As others have asked, what makes Venezuela a thug nation? More so than Russia, Saudi Arabia, etc?

I would love geo - but don't have the spare $30K+ to install.
I really have not figured out how to do that vertical blind thing with regards to responding but here are a few answers to your questions. Sorry for the colors;

1. Why do you think it is submitting? Who is submitting what? Are we talking about pride? Nothing wrong with being a proud American. It is a healthy thing to have positive national esteem. I personally believe that this helped us win WWII. And Chavez is doing his best to follow in Castro's Foot Steps by confiscating private property and killing off his opposition. He is anything but a freedom fighter but more so a wanna be dictator like his buddy Castro.
  2. You don't think the US exploits other nations for our own gain? Of course we do. Just as other nation exploit us. Heck, trade is exploitation (fair or otherwise). Come one rmcewan, that is such a weak argument. Last I knew, our state department has always warned US based corporations that they do business with other countries at their own risk! And there have been many times where we had gains and many where we had losses. Would never label it as exploitation but more so the cost of doing business.
  3. Texas. California. Alaska (bought). Hawaii. Pueto Rico (war prize territory). A bit of Cuba. Guam. The Philippines for a time. All pretty dodgy acquisitions. Do I smell an attempt at revisionism here rmcewan? According to my history lessons Texas was an independent nation and asked for our help and Polk and Zack Taylor! obliged! Our nation has always been very sympathetic to freedom fighters because of our own revolutionary experience and our bill of rights. As far as the Spanish American war goes, well it was Spain who declared war on us. We were only trying to make certain the Revolutionary Cuban Freedom Fighters were not being murdered 70 miles from our shorelines! And we did not ask for the USS Maine to be blown up and have 250+ of our men killed! So if you want to call freeing a nation from the Spanish Colonial Empire American Imperialism then we really have "failure to communicate!" Heavens to Betsy! And I think if my memory serves me, that Manifest Destiny thing was not such a bad thing! Didn't Hawaii % Alaska vote to become a state? When I was in Puerto Rico for 3 months it was all good and that was in 3 different locations! The Puerto Rican people mostly work for US Corps anyway and choose not to become a state cause they love the tax set up!
  4. They're not OUR corporations. The are - as you say - owned by the shareholders - which are not exclusively US citizens. Those non-domestic shareholders neither hold or owe allegiance to to the country in which the corporation happens to be headquartered. Hence the term Multi-Nationals. If the Corps are domiciled in the USA they are USA Corps and yes foreign investors can invest as well under guidelines and laws set forth by our lawmakers. If I buy stock in a US Corp then I own a part of that corp, And yes multi-national is a proper term but like Honda America is different than Honda Japan. We each have our own rules and regs. But IMHO US Corps provide the most freedom for investors, as it mirrors our temperament for FREEDOM!!!
  5. As others have asked, what makes Venezuela a thug nation? More so than Russia, Saudi Arabia, etc? I did not say Hugo Chavez was more of a thug than Putin and all those Arab Sheiks. They are for me the Usual Suspects along with any politician who stifles our desire to use our own natural resources! Especially Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid! If they really wanted to lower the price of heating oil and crude for New Hampshire people all they would have to do is stand together with the other party and say drill drill drill and the price of crude would tank big time!

Finally I am getting bids on the geo stuff but the contracts are very ambiguous, as you have to pay for another title search and make certain you have full access to the mineral rights. The title search is not cheap!

Old 07-25-2008, 10:37 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,636 times
Default Thread has traveled way off topic!

Looks like we wondered off topic here! I think we will soon be rescued and sent to a better place!

Old 07-25-2008, 10:44 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,957,413 times
OK everyone, just so it is fair, I have received some DM's from members asking for this thread to be closed. I hate being the bad guy here. But I want the members to be as happy as they can be while posting on this site. We all know that these threads tend to go sideways, I try to keep them on track and let them go until I start getting complaints from folks. I am sorry, but I am going to close the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire