Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2008, 01:03 PM

909 posts, read 3,363,654 times

Advertisements

My kids are due for a wellcheck soon, and I'm overdue for my annual exam. Would anyone from or around Bedford like to recommend their pediatrician, Ob/gyn, or pcp? Not to get too uptight, but based on past experiences here's what I'm looking for:

1) competent office staff. I really liked my previous pcp, but her office staff really fell short, and the only reason I never switched was because I liked the doc and I never had any serious health issues that needed a lot of paperwork.

2) Ob/gyn - I LOVED my last ob/gyn. He got all the high risk pregnancies (multiples, fertility issues), but he was amazingly laid back in his attitude. He always took my questions seriously, and would order a test to allay concerns, but he would always preface with, "I don't think we have anything to worry about." And he didn't do c-sections unless they were absolutely necessary, which they weren't for me.

3) Pediatrician - Our first was a rec from the OB and retrospect I wished we stayed with him. He was very thorough at wellchecks, something I found a little lacking in our second ped. And he was sensible, gave middle of the road answers to most of my basic questions. I would also like a ped who is supportive of/well-informed on breastfeeding, although this isn't a dealbreaker, esp. since I've already gone through it with two.

Dh's insurance kicks in today, so I expect he'll be coming home with a provider directory. We'll be getting BCBS PPO plus.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 07:51 AM

282 posts, read 1,186,242 times
I use Bedford Commons for an ob/gyn. They have always been great for me.....I see an ARNP, Linda Lassonde, there for my yearly exams..........that is all I have used them for. I can't tell you about obstetrics, prenatal care, etc............I did not use them when I was pregnant. But the office staff is nice, and everyone seems very competent. The website is Bedford Commons OB-GYN :: Welcome I use a pediatrician in Nashua---who I absolutely love. Her name is Dr. Williams, with Foundation Pediatrics. Foundation Medical Partners - Foundation Pediatrics - Our Practice

They are available all the time, and there are clinics open on weekends, etc...........Dr. Williams is very laid back, calm, answers your questions, doesn't rush you out, etc. I believe she is very worth the trip from Manchester to Nashua for my son! I think I go down an average of twice a year--a yearly well check and then inevitably in the winter with some sort of sickness, but that has been it for me. If you go more often, you might not want to make the trip. It is only about a half hour--not bad in my book. Good luck.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:59 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,008,793 times
Angela - so glad to see your post. I'm 7 months pregnant and looking for a pediatrician. Someone at work recommended Dr. Williams, I'm meeting with her in early August. It's nice to see another positive review.

My ob/gyn and pcp are both at Dartmouth Hitchcock in Nashua. Dr. Maria Velazquez-Evans is my PCP. My ob/gyn is technically Dr. Bell but I never see her. I'm always with one of two mid-wives who are fantastic.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:54 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,272 times
My doctor where I used to live (northern VA) suggested looking into the doctor's at Darmouth Hitchcock when I asked if he knew anyone in the area I as moving to (Hollis NH). He was great and if making appointments (haven't had it yet) is any indication than Dartmouth Hitchcock is pretty good too.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:34 AM

909 posts, read 3,363,654 times
Default Question about Dartmouth Hitchcock

I'm told they have offices all over, including Manchester. Is this true? What does that mean exactly? Are they their own medical group with branches? Someone I know goes to a local office, and she said it's great if you don't have any chronic conditions and just go for checkups or the usual occasional ailment, but if you have chronic health issues it's not good because you never get to see the same doc. Can anyone speak to that?

Angela, thanks for the rec for Bedford Commons. I'll check them out.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:00 PM

282 posts, read 1,186,242 times
I guess I wouldn't agree with whoever you spoke to about Dartmouth Hitchcock. There are separate Dartmouth Hitchcock clinics in several towns. I know of Manchester, Nashua and Bedford personally. I have selected a PCP through DHC in Bedford. My husband also sees one through there, and more often than not we get the same doc. There are times she is not there, and we have to see someone else, but my husband recently had some back issues and he saw the same person the 4 or so times he had to go back. It may be the case that if you don't pick a primary care physician that you get anyone in the office.....but that has not been my experience. Good luck.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:03 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,272 times
I was able to pick the specific doctor I wanted my physical with (obviously different doctors have different availabilities); so I'm assuming if you have a chronic condition or just want to see the same doctor- you can just schedule your appointment accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire