Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 01:43 PM

452 posts, read 1,733,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
jthibodeau, are you talking about the yeast you get at the grocers for making bread? How much of that do you put in and how often?
Yes, exactly maestramommy, it's cheap, easily available and will do absolutely no harm to your system. IMO, applied once a month would be great. How about once a week if you have a big family. I don't have any scientific evidence to back up this theory. I'm certainly no scientist. I'm just someone who has a few years experience in this field. But, after all is said and done, how can one go wrong at less than a buck a month.

You also have to remember that this is help for a healthy system to continue to remain healthy and not a savior for a system that is "in" or close to failure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 01:54 PM

909 posts, read 3,363,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthibodeau View Post
Yes, exactly maestramommy, it's cheap, easily available and will do absolutely no harm to your system. IMO, applied once a month would be great. How about once a week if you have a big family. I don't have any scientific evidence to back up this theory. I'm certainly no scientist. I'm just someone who has a few years experience in this field. But, after all is said and done, how can one go wrong at less than a buck a month.

You also have to remember that this is help for a healthy system to continue to remain healthy and not a savior for a system that is "in" or close to failure.

Do you mean a jar's worth? A jar at the regular grocer's is actually rather pricey. At least in CA it was.

Old 07-27-2008, 03:52 PM

885 posts, read 2,660,787 times
Quote:
Do you mean a jar's worth? A jar at the regular grocer's is actually rather pricey. At least in CA it was.
mm: I suggest you talk to a septic professional about additives.

Seriously - a septic should not need additives. You could cause more damage than good. YOU provide the bacteria necessary. Laundry and dishwasher detergents are far more septic friendly than they were in the past and modern appliances use less water too. If you don't have lo-flow toilets then they'll help too. Do not use per-flush toilet cleaners. Do not utilize a waste disposal. Do not wash cooking oils/fat down the sink.
Pump every couple of years.

Check this site out:Septic System Additives, septic starters, septic treatments, septic cleaners, & Septic Helper Chemicals for Septic Tanks and Drainfields Septic Tank Treatments
A quick quote should get you clicking over:
"Some septic tank or septic drainfield additives such as yeast or harsh chemicals can actually damage the septic system. Yeast can cause frothing and excessive activity in the septic tank, preventing normal settling of solids and coagulation of greases. This agitation forces solid waste into the drainfield and by clogging the soil, shortens its life. Other septic chemicals intended to kill tree roots or unclog clogged leachfield soils can contaminate the environment."

Old 07-28-2008, 10:36 AM

234 posts, read 1,270,103 times
I heard from a septic guy that letting a half gallon of milk spoil and dump down the drain was a good thing to do on occasion. He also said Riddex was a waste of money and you get a lot more good bacteria from the spoiled milk than anything you could buy.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:21 AM

472 posts, read 1,709,898 times
Default This is gross, but inquiring minds, and all that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leggo View Post
I heard from a septic guy that letting a half gallon of milk spoil and dump down the drain was a good thing to do on occasion. He also said Riddex was a waste of money and you get a lot more good bacteria from the spoiled milk than anything you could buy.
Did he mean that the bacteria in spoiled milk is the same as the bacteria in yoghurt? And is that the stuff that eats "solid waste?" And if that's true, how come eating yoghurt doesn't affect my personal "system?"

Or did he mean that the nutrients in spoiled milk do the trick, e.g., the sugar and protein?

Old 07-29-2008, 05:41 AM

452 posts, read 1,733,513 times
Quote:
LOL...Sorry for not mentioning sizes. I was referring to a 1/4 oz. package of "Active Dry" yeast. They usually come in a three pack such as Fleischmann's.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:44 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Septic systems are meant to process human waste and detergents from washing machines but not under sink waste grinders. The septic tank is an anaerobic (septic = without air) digester where bacteria and yeasts process the solids into liquids and separate and store the remaining solids from the liquid effluent. The liquid effluent drains to the leach field where it is aerobically (with air) processed before soaking into the soil.
Pump the septic tank periodically to remove the solids that cannot be digested by the bugs in the tank and keep cars, trucks and other heavy equipment of the leach field area to prevent compacting the soil or crushing the pipes. The pumped tank contains enough organisms to continue the process as the tank is refilled by normal use.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,866 times
I am potentially buying a home in guilford county and am entering a ten day due diligence period,it is listed as
A 3 bedroom possible 4th bedroom. Supposedly it is pre records for my county as to what the initial septic
Was installed for and me as a Virgin septic owner want to get some answers as to what condition the current
System is in as well as any possible future costs to repair or replace or increase capacity etc........the home was built in 1960 and I don't have a clue to what kind of maintenance has been, any pointers as to getting these things checked by a honest professional as far as septic and or water supply (well water ) I know this can be costly and could effect my decision to purchase if system has possible costly repairs due to neglect from
Prior occupants??? Any helpful feedback

Old 05-30-2013, 05:21 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Bminish - Ask the Town Sanitarian or Engineer to check out the system as well as provide a construction history.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:19 AM

196 posts, read 276,016 times
huh.....since I know NOTHING about leachfields and septic tanks - only been in NH for 2 yrs - how long before you have to "get" a new leachfield?? Is that how it works?

Also, any recommendations on septic cleaning places? I am in Windham
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire