Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2008, 11:41 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,116,449 times

Advertisements

We're seriously considering moving to NH, and from another post, made me consider the ramifications of moving from a dry, arid area back to a pretty moist one.

I was wondering if it's a losing battle keeping anything metal from rusting and rotting? Do vehicles take a beating from the winters? Is there anything that can be done?

Thanks

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 11:54 AM

311 posts, read 994,122 times
Well, it's like a rain forest up here right now!

I guess the answer to your question is you need to do some rather basic things to keep your vehicles and home in good shape so they'll last a long time without major maintenance.

In the winter, wash your vehicles as often as you can to get the salt off. I don't bother because the car wash is a 20 minute drive, and our vehicles last a good long time. One of our cars is a 1998 Dodge Caravan that now has some surface rust. Last fall we had to replace the rusted bed on our 1994 pick-up truck. That's not too bad, I don't think.

We live in a town that doesn't use salt on roads, just sand, so our cars only get salty when we get onto state roads or highways.

The exterior siding and deck on our house tends to get a little moldy/mildewy, and my husband just power washes it with a water/bleach mix and it's like new (we have cedar siding & pressure treated deck).

We have a full basement that gets damp, so we run a dehumidifier all summer long. In the winter we get so dry we have to run a humidifier AND we have kettles of water on the wood stoves.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:39 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,450,823 times
Agreed!
Keep salt from sitting on your car too long, and use a dehumidifier in the basement.
Make sure whatever home you're interested in has been well maintained (if it's not new construction).
On the flip side, if you're moving from an area with ozone-laden smog, you'll find that in NH you can leave outdoor furniture, etc. outside for a long time without color being bleached out of things in one summer.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:51 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
In a short answer - yes, yes, No

Use Bo-shield on your tools or keep everything iron coated with oil.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:32 PM

13 posts, read 34,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
We're seriously considering moving to NH, and from another post, made me consider the ramifications of moving from a dry, arid area back to a pretty moist one.

I was wondering if it's a losing battle keeping anything metal from rusting and rotting? Do vehicles take a beating from the winters? Is there anything that can be done?

Thanks

John
Salt from the roads in winter will rust out your car; even faster if you live near the ocean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire