Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 08:17 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times

Advertisements

No offense taken dzmjp. I think that until the last couple of years, that would be an easy question to answer. This upcoming election is very polarizing, and will be interesting (and scary!) to watch unfold. Every day I am amazed at the BS that goes on, and how things are turned, twisted and spun by the media.

Here are a couple of links that I saved from the primary, the NH Primary for both Republicans and Democrats. While it doesn't really answer your question, it may give you an idea of how liberal/conservative certain areas tend to be...

New Hampshire Primary -- Republican results - Boston.com
New Hampshire Primary -- Democratic results - Boston.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzmjp View Post
I really hope that I am not offending anyone, or breaking any of the forum rules by asking... I guess this is more of an opinionated question...and if this is inappropriate, I'm very sorry and do not mean it to be.

I was just wondering, are there any strongly Democratic or Republican (maybe blue collar) town/cities in NH? The reason for my curiousness is that this is one thing you can't see just by visiting. You can get a "vibe", but that can be wrong.

Please discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 08:45 PM

472 posts, read 1,710,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
I don't know if this map is any indication, especially since it seems like most NH towns are more or less evenly split or moderate...
Very interesting! Verseau, would you mind posting the link to that map? TIA!

Personally, I love "moderation in all things..." so an even Dem/Rep split, as long as it's reasonably cordial, is a plus, it seems to me.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:25 PM

248 posts, read 805,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
Hello dzmjp! Welcome to the New Hampshire Board! Actually all you have to do is just drive around and look at the condition of the town, how much crime, how well homes and landscaping are maintained! How well the schools are maintained and if there are any gang problems!

Just by knowing all those factors you will then definitely be able to determine whether you are in a Democrat or Republican Community!
Not so sure what is meant by this comment, I'm left really puzzled. Are you saying that 1 party takes care of things and the other does not? I feel that is a little harsh, dont you? I've lived in both types of towns/cities and both have always taken care of their towns and schools. I was just asking for research...no bashing was meant.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:28 PM

Talking Thank you for the facts! :o)

Verseau, Valerie and everyone else - thank you for that information. That map is so helpful! ) As well as your links Valerie C - it is very much appreciated. I hope everyone's week is going well!

Old 08-04-2008, 04:59 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,843 times
Happy to be of help. Although I found some other maps which I think might be more helpful -

This map shows which candidate got the highest number of votes overall in the primaries this year:

Also, this map will show you which candidate won each town in the 2004 general election. As you can see, though, there are very few towns where there was a landslide victory.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:10 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzmjp View Post
Not so sure what is meant by this comment, I'm left really puzzled. Are you saying that 1 party takes care of things and the other does not? I feel that is a little harsh, dont you? I've lived in both types of towns/cities and both have always taken care of their towns and schools. I was just asking for research...no bashing was meant.
I think we are miss communicating here dzmjp, as I did not feel you were being at all malicious. My comments more so had to do with statistical information such as crime and so on. But I think anyone who really wants to get the feel for a community can in many instances just drive through a neighborhood or have a cop of coffee downtown and tell! Political Demographics do not lie no matter how harsh the reality is.

Yes, statistically there are significant differences regarding crime, security, social expectations and so on. But if you want your thread to have more of a political flavor I would suggest to enter a thread on the Politics Forum.

Anyway, good luck with your move. New Hampshire certainly has some of the best, neighborhoods, schools and libraries in the country!

Old 08-05-2008, 06:39 AM

179 posts, read 436,047 times
Quote:
I think we are miss communicating here dzmjp, as I did not feel you were being at all malicious. My comments more so had to do with statistical information such as crime and so on. But I think anyone who really wants to get the feel for a community can in many instances just drive through a neighborhood or have a cop of coffee downtown and tell! Political Demographics do not lie no matter how harsh the reality is.

I don't agree. I have seen very democratic towns that have very low crime and people keep their property very nice. The broad stroke of prejudice in your statements is insulting to those people.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:58 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiej63 View Post
I don't agree. I have seen very democratic towns that have very low crime and people keep their property very nice. The broad stroke of prejudice in your statements is insulting to those people.
debbiej63 I never said which political party had higher crime or gang problems. If you want to make the inference that these statistics apply to a certain political party then that is your call. I never said that.

Further this thread is going wayside and should be posted in the politics forum!

Last edited by CometVoyager; 08-05-2008 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: mis-statements

Old 08-05-2008, 08:26 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,079 times
Nice map courtesy of Versau. Here is one that shows the results of the 2004 presidential election by county:

United States presidential election in New Hampshire, 2004 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some info on the 2004 governor's race:

2004 Gubernatorial General Election Results - New Hampshire

Old 08-05-2008, 04:40 PM

CometVoyager - no hard feelings, thank you for posting ... the last thing I want is to create friction - the internet is hard enough to convey what you are really feeling without insulting others. No hard feelings...

Verseau - I will check that out too - and CometVoyager - I will definitely check out the coffee shops and small local grocery stores on our visit to get a better feel. Sometimes, when you move, some towns have a "label" of their dominant party...I just wanted to get a feel for it

Thank you again for everyone, and lets keep this light hearted! I'm just a "foreigner" trying to get a feel for the layout of the land I do hope that the summer is treating everyone fantastically!!!

Thank you again everyone!!!

Last edited by dzmjp; 08-05-2008 at 04:46 PM.. Reason: forgot a "y" on a word :(.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire