Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 10:59 AM

1,281 posts, read 3,693,922 times

Advertisements

I am bummed - I forgot all about this and didn't plan my vacation for the dates of the polar express this year.

I don't know how many people know about the real life polar express in NH N Conway and Lincoln - but the lottery for the tickets (so darn popular) will be happening in 2 months or so. Get your application and registration fee in. Although the registration fee is non-refundable, it does go to a charity for literacy - so you can write it off on your taxes.

Check it out - I have heard WONDERFUL and AMAZING stories about this train ride. I guess I'll try it in 2 years

The Polar Express - Chris Van Allsburg's Polar Express in real life. (http://www.polarexpress.org/pe_tickets.htm - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 11:24 AM

263 posts, read 857,224 times
I got to go on the Polar Express out of N. Conway about 5 years ago when my son was about 5 years old. A bunch of us went! It was really neat! If you have read the story (I still have not seen the movie - shame on me!), it is a lot like the story. You go on the train in your pj's, drink hot chocolate, walk through the path of elves when you get off the train, you get to see Santa and "Chris Van Allsburg" comes out and reads his story to all of the kids. Then on the way home, you get one of the bells to keep. My son still has his bell 5 years later and rings it every Christmas. : )

Old 08-05-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakiedoodle View Post
I got to go on the Polar Express out of N. Conway about 5 years ago when my son was about 5 years old. A bunch of us went! It was really neat! If you have read the story (I still have not seen the movie - shame on me!), it is a lot like the story. You go on the train in your pj's, drink hot chocolate, walk through the path of elves when you get off the train, you get to see Santa and "Chris Van Allsburg" comes out and reads his story to all of the kids. Then on the way home, you get one of the bells to keep. My son still has his bell 5 years later and rings it every Christmas. : )
I am so jealous of your story - and can't wait until I can tell a similar story about my kids.

My DD brought the book home from the school library last year, she loved it, but she also loved the movie and had seen it before reading the book. Awesome movie by the way - Tom Hanks did a superb job.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:04 PM

485 posts, read 1,311,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2NCMom View Post
I am so jealous of your story - and can't wait until I can tell a similar story about my kids.

My DD brought the book home from the school library last year, she loved it, but she also loved the movie and had seen it before reading the book. Awesome movie by the way - Tom Hanks did a superb job.

WOW! This is for real huh?

Thank you NH2NCMom for the rep and smiley welcome!

Old 08-05-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrouchTigerHiddenDog View Post
WOW! This is for real huh?

Thank you NH2NCMom for the rep and smiley welcome!
Yes it is real - there really is a Polar Express in 2 towns in NH - pretty neat huh?

And you're so welcome for the rep - and yeah smileys are all over this forum LOL

Old 08-06-2008, 08:33 AM

485 posts, read 1,311,299 times
Quote:
Yes it is real - there really is a Polar Express in 2 towns in NH - pretty neat huh?

And you're so welcome for the rep - and yeah smileys are all over this forum LOL

I have always wanted to travel via train to see sites, etc. When I was a small child I used to visit a park that had several pieces of an old train set up for children to play on. It was one of my favorite things to do! I guess that started the desire...

Old 08-06-2008, 08:55 AM

263 posts, read 857,224 times
yes, it is a great adventure for the kids!! I've never been on that train except for the Polar Express and I would love to! Just haven't had the chance yet!
....one of these days

Old 08-06-2008, 10:17 AM

179 posts, read 434,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakiedoodle View Post

WOW!!! That's awesome! I wish my kids were little again. I'll have to remember it when I start getting grandchildren.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:16 PM

230 posts, read 872,818 times
Quote:
I don't know how many people know about the real life polar express in NH N Conway and Lincoln - but the lottery for the tickets (so darn popular) will be happening in 2 months or so. Get your application and registration fee in. Although the registration fee is non-refundable, it does go to a charity for literacy - so you can write it off on your taxes.

The Polar Express - Chris Van Allsburg's Polar Express in real life. (http://www.polarexpress.org/pe_tickets.htm - broken link)
The Indian Head resort offers a "Polar Express" family vacation package that includes 2 nights lodging and meals for a family of four, with GUARANTEED Polar Express tickets!

Lick on this link and scroll about 2/3 way down to click on the "2008 Polar Express Package."
Indian Head Resort - Your White Mountain Vacation Getaway Headquarters! New Hampshire Area Attractions!

The last vacation trip my bf and I took before he passed included a stop at the Indian Head, and we were all excited about doing the train ride with my nephews this year. Christmas in the White Mountains is so magical. I was looking forward to feeling like a kid again, riding the train with my nephews, wearing my footie pajamas and drinking cocoa!! (OK, maybe not the pajama part.)

Old 08-06-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta View Post
The Indian Head resort offers a "Polar Express" family vacation package that includes 2 nights lodging and meals for a family of four, with GUARANTEED Polar Express tickets!

Lick on this link and scroll about 2/3 way down to click on the "2008 Polar Express Package."
Indian Head Resort - Your White Mountain Vacation Getaway Headquarters! New Hampshire Area Attractions!

The last vacation trip my bf and I took before he passed included a stop at the Indian Head, and we were all excited about doing the train ride with my nephews this year. Christmas in the White Mountains is so magical. I was looking forward to feeling like a kid again, riding the train with my nephews, wearing my footie pajamas and drinking cocoa!! (OK, maybe not the pajama part.)
Thanks for that valuable information - but I had to laugh I did catch a slight error on the pdf file that opened...above the box it says the December 12 - 13 2008 dates, but down where it talks about the pools and such it says valid for Dec xx - xx 2007 ONLY. The dates don't coincide and it should be fixed or verified.

Sorry to hear about your bf passing - but I am sure you will have a great time and keep him in your thoughts and heart during this fantastic journey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire