Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

New Hampshire: long winters, heating cost, Obama stickers, property taxes, recreation

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 09:19 PM

311 posts, read 995,356 times

Advertisements

Aw shucks...thanks BryFry...I'd send you some rep, but need to spread it around a bit more before first.

Jeez, I've sure been on my political high horse today with this post and others. Hope I don't end up offending any of my real C-D buddies that I care about. You know...the things you should never talk about with friends...politics and salaries and...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 09:34 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,957,076 times
Nicole and newhampshiregirl, I really enjoyed both your posts.

I can tell you, for me, coming from So Cali, I am looking for a change in so many things. I wouldnt want to try to ever change or complain that NH isnt Cali. To me, that is one of the major attractions.

I dont get polictical on this forum, I need to stay neutral, I tried to voice my opinion once, that didnt go too well, but I am looking at other places to live in NH other than Keene. I dont want things, any things, shoved in my face. I thought a college type town might be good for my future business, but now I am not so sure.

Politics, Salaries and Religion are things I dont talk about with friends. Lol.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:01 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
Nicole and newhampshiregirl, I really enjoyed both your posts.

I can tell you, for me, coming from So Cali, I am looking for a change in so many things. I wouldnt want to try to ever change or complain that NH isnt Cali. To me, that is one of the major attractions.

I dont get polictical on this forum, I need to stay neutral, I tried to voice my opinion once, that didnt go too well, but I am looking at other places to live in NH other than Keene. I dont want things, any things, shoved in my face. I thought a college type town might be good for my future business, but now I am not so sure.

Politics, Salaries and Religion are things I dont talk about with friends. Lol.

I really think that you and your family would like the Portsmouth area. I can picture your shop open in downtown Portsmouth. Just a thought and I know others have mentioned it here but going from So Cal to Keene might be a shock. I love the Keene area I am not knocking it. We were married in Rindge and go over there often. The Portsmouth area is busy by NH standards but would still be a slower pace compared to So Cal.

Just imagine-a forum get together at Friendly toast followed by yummy cupcakes at Suzet's Bake shop-yummy!

Old 08-11-2008, 07:04 AM

179 posts, read 435,997 times
Quote:
when the dems/rhinos got in.

??? What are rhinos (well besides the large gray animals with horns on their noses), I'm not familiar with the term??

Old 08-11-2008, 07:06 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiej63 View Post
??? What are rhinos (well besides the large gray animals with horns on their noses), I'm not familiar with the term??
That is "republican in name only". It is used for repubs in NH who want to implement an income or a sales tax.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:12 AM

179 posts, read 435,997 times
Quote:

I never used to think my single voice mattered. But, I've gone to Concord and sat in on legislative hearings and watched and listened to the political maneuvering that goes on in the state house & legislative office building hallways, dining room, and smoking room. NH still has a very accessible legislative process and anyone (heck EVERYone) can get involved.

Are you allowed to state your opinion, or do you just have to watch? Sorry, new to the state, just wanted to know how involved you can get without running for office. Do the politicians really listen here?

You are right as far as taxes. New taxes will not lower your property taxes, they just cost you more and you almost never see a benefit besides lining their pockets. Notice how most states raise taxes then give themselves a raise while reducing public programs such as schools and public safety?! I wouldn't have a problem if the money went to something tangible that you see such as hiring more teachers to reduce class sizes, etc., giving seniors free public transportation, etc., but that doesn't happen very often. I have seen volunteers making more difference than politicians.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:56 AM

311 posts, read 995,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiej63 View Post
Are you allowed to state your opinion, or do you just have to watch? Sorry, new to the state, just wanted to know how involved you can get without running for office. Do the politicians really listen here?

You are right as far as taxes. New taxes will not lower your property taxes, they just cost you more and you almost never see a benefit besides lining their pockets. Notice how most states raise taxes then give themselves a raise while reducing public programs such as schools and public safety?! I wouldn't have a problem if the money went to something tangible that you see such as hiring more teachers to reduce class sizes, etc., giving seniors free public transportation, etc., but that doesn't happen very often. I have seen volunteers making more difference than politicians.
You are most certainly allowed to state your opinion. At every hearing there are cards placed at the entrance to the hearing room. You can sign a card supporting or opposing the bill for which the hearing is being held. I've been to the Legislative Office Building early in the morning and I have run from room to room to indicate my support or opposition to proposed legislation...because it's impossible to sit through more than one hearing at a time! You can also sign up to "testify" at hearings. There is usually a sign-up list in the hearing room. This is something that I would only suggest you do if you are very well prepared, look presentable, etc. so that you can make the best impression on the legislative committee hearing testimony. I would suggest sitting in on hearings that are of interest to you and listening and learning how the procedure works. The state house is right in downtown Concord and the legislative office building is right behind it. No guards or security to go through. Just walk in and look at the list of hearings for the day, or you can check online.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:58 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,035,160 times
NH legislature is unusual. It has one of the largest number of representatives of any state! For example, there is a representative from around every couple of towns! So they really are your neighbors! And many of them aren't making a career of it, they may only stay for a term or two (ok, I think some do stay for quite a while). And in NH, they aren't voting in raises and lining their pockets - they actually get paid very little (and very few perks: free tolls are all I can think of. maybe tickets to some games?) and I don't think they've had a raise for a while. Keep in mind, these are your 'neighbors' so they're often as frugal as you are!

Remember: hiring more teachers (and that also depends on classroom availability) is going to be more a town/regional thing than a state.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:03 AM

1,281 posts, read 3,703,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
NH legislature is unusual. It has one of the largest number of representatives of any state! For example, there is a representative from around every couple of towns! So they really are your neighbors! And many of them aren't making a career of it, they may only stay for a term or two (ok, I think some do stay for quite a while). And in NH, they aren't voting in raises and lining their pockets - they actually get paid very little (and very few perks: free tolls are all I can think of. maybe tickets to some games?) and I don't think they've had a raise for a while. Keep in mind, these are your 'neighbors' so they're often as frugal as you are!

Remember: hiring more teachers (and that also depends on classroom availability) is going to be more a town/regional thing than a state.
Unless they gave themselves a pay raise (first time in 100's of years) the last I knew they get paid ... you ready for this?...

$100 a year!

They truly vote for their constituents not for the money!

Old 08-11-2008, 08:15 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,117,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhampshiregirl View Post
Hey motoracer, did you explore anywhere else besides the Keene area?

My boss used to live in Colorado and I know he misses to powder skiing, hunting and sunshine.

If you were here recently, then you would see a lot of Mass plates because it's vacation time. If Mass folks aren't going to the beach, then they're heading north to NH! Plus, if you're looking at living in the southern part of the state, then you will see an influx of Mass people. Can that be all bad that they prefer the great state of NH than MA?!
Thanks everyone for all the help. Maybe I'm overreacting on the initial impression.

Well, we also looked at a house north of Manchester, in North Sutton, but we really decided against it as the access would be treacherous in the winter(hill).

I have certain criteria for a house and land, so we've been doing out searching based on those needs.

Really, the only house we found suitable, at this time on the market was in Rindge. We're still interested, but I think we're going to wait till after the elections to see how both CO and NH go. Also, it will give us more time to pick your brains here.

We'll definitly be back by Christmas, and hopefully earlier; maybe to see some fall foliage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire