Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 12:19 PM

230 posts, read 876,425 times

Advertisements

As I read the initial post and the following comments, I got the feeling that some of the sentiments expressed were not so much about people wanting to have laws changed, but just a general sense of disgust at the lack of personal responsibility and common sense that exists in our society today, not just in NH but in all of America. Nowadays it is just too easy to be an inconsiderate, stupid, selfish boor, and to blame everyone else for the negative consequences our thoughtless actions cause. And when common sense fails, what comes next? Passing a law!!

Case in point: For the past few years I have lived in a very liberal town right over the border in NH. Some genius one day discovered that there was not a written law prohibiting people from walking around downtown buck naked. Therefore, they reasoned, it must be ok! All of a sudden we've got an influx of middle aged hippies exercising their freedom to express themselves by exposing themselves in the middle of town. These individuals don't understand that the concept of "personal boundaries" applies not only to themselves, but to everyone who has to look at them (and a lot of them were frankly disgusting). So now, because apparently common sense has failed in this case, we have to waste taxpayer dollars to meet to discuss enacting a law!!! Well, it's not against the law to yell "FIRE!" in a crowded movie theater! But does that make it okay? NO!

I feel that if someone wants to risk riding a motorcycle without wearing a helmet, they should have that right. But I also pray that I will never be involved in an accident where someone who gets killed would have survived if they had been wearing one.

On the other hand, there are cell phones. I DO think there should be a law against using them while driving. Having a law in place would at least act as a deterrent, even if the police were not able to effectively enforce the law. Unfortunately, there are some people out there who are too STUPID to realize that they are putting everyone at risk when they are distracted by mindless yapping with a friend while driving. I have noticed that a lot of the people who talk while driving are teenagers. My question is, what the heck could a 16-year old possibly be talking about that would be more important than the safety of everyone one the road? I always say, if your business is so important that you have to talk on the phone while driving, then you are important enough to have a chauffeur.

Yes, and ever since I was a little kid, the locals have grumbled about the rudeness and thoughtlessness of some out-of-state vacationers. Way back when I lived up north, it was Canadians. Now it's people from MA, CT, and NY. I think people from urban areas have become desensitized to actions that people in more rural areas consider greedy, selfish, and inconsiderate. The answer is not to tax everyone.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:27 PM

103 posts, read 317,531 times
No!No!No! to an income tax. It will slaughter the lower wage workers here. Just look what the high price of gas is doing right now.

The only answer is a sales tax. Let the out of stater pay a tax for coming here and cleaning out our stores and lumber yards, and taking the stuff back home. Are we stupid or something? We are not only living in an prostitution state but are we also "suckers" living in a prostitution state?

I for one don't shop much and I don't mind spending an extra dollar here or there if I know that it's going to the state of NH and it's citizens to help make things better here. But when I see out of staters raping and pillaging our resources just because we are cheap, then I wonder what future is there in that?

I say, if your going to come to NH. and throw trash around, then pay a tax on that trash. If your going to come to NH. and load up your car and truck with stuff and drive home to another state then, pay a tax on that stuff so that the citizens of NH can get due cause for our resources.

Don't be a sucker living in a prostitution state. MA. CT. VT. ME. RI. NY. wouldn't let you get away with going there and not paying their sales tax. And their the one's with all the money and toy's. Why should they be able to get away with it here and leave us with zip?

YES ! to sales tax. NO ! to prostitution.

Last edited by MFWIC; 08-11-2008 at 05:41 PM..

Old 08-11-2008, 04:46 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,314,750 times
Talking ha ha ha

no more tax it hurts...

http://bestsmileys.com/silly/14.gif (broken link)

Old 08-11-2008, 05:44 PM

282 posts, read 1,187,568 times
Well....this was interesting. No comment from the peanut gallery, except....

LIVE FREE OR DIE!!!

Old 08-11-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaK View Post
Well....this was interesting. No comment from the peanut gallery, except....

LIVE FREE OR DIE!!!
P' LEASSSSSSSSSSSE !

OK, let's just say that tomorrow you will not be free. Will you die?

Exactly.

We need to stop lying to ourselves.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:10 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,707,783 times
OK now that I have had a few moments to re-read the OP for the upteenth time...

1. Even with a sales tax they will NOT lower taxes. PLAIN AND SIMPLE. So the rest of your argument is moot. People who shop in Maine and Vermont as well as Mass do it because they live too far to drive to NH!

Oh and if we get rid of the tourists, watch how many people are collecting unemployment in record time!

2. I live in a state where it is mandatory insurance and I pay over $1200 a year for insurance and guess what? I PAY FOR UN-INSURED MOTORISTS, even though it is mandatory insurance. Again your argument is moot.

3. Helmet law - I believe for kids under the LEGAL age of 18 it is a requirement to wear a helmet. Over the legal age, it is common sense and choice to wear it or not. I wish they would wear one, but it is CHOICE, which even God gave us choice.

4. Cell phone law - your statement of can't talk and think at the same time is ridiculous - think about it, it's almost laughable.

5. State motto - I see you have no concept of the idea of the motto. Do your research on it, and maybe you'll understand why it means so much to the NATIVES of NH and most of those moving into the state.

I say we should make a new law of having people spell check and make logical sentences with their posts before making statements made to inflame the board (JFR and others not meant at you - because you don't inflame us - you humor us).

Old 08-11-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2NCMom View Post
OK now that I have had a few moments to re-read the OP for the upteenth time...

1. Even with a sales tax they will NOT lower taxes. PLAIN AND SIMPLE. So the rest of your argument is moot. People who shop in Maine and Vermont as well as Mass do it because they live too far to drive to NH!

Oh and if we get rid of the tourists, watch how many people are collecting unemployment in record time!

2. I live in a state where it is mandatory insurance and I pay over $1200 a year for insurance and guess what? I PAY FOR UN-INSURED MOTORISTS, even though it is mandatory insurance. Again your argument is moot.

3. Helmet law - I believe for kids under the LEGAL age of 18 it is a requirement to wear a helmet. Over the legal age, it is common sense and choice to wear it or not. I wish they would wear one, but it is CHOICE, which even God gave us choice.

4. Cell phone law - your statement of can't talk and think at the same time is ridiculous - think about it, it's almost laughable.

5. State motto - I see you have no concept of the idea of the motto. Do your research on it, and maybe you'll understand why it means so much to the NATIVES of NH and most of those moving into the state.

I say we should make a new law of having people spell check and make logical sentences with their posts before making statements made to inflame the board (JFR and others not meant at you - because you don't inflame us - you humor us).
HA! HA! and HA!
#1 The reason for a sales tax will be to help lower property tax...We now have the highest in the nation. EXAMPLE. friend of mine is moving to a state down south. They have an 8% sales tax. His property tax is $500 per year and a cost of $45 dollars to register his new truck...He is leaving NH. because it is too expensive to live up here..For Him and his wiff. Even though their house will be paid off here in NH. The cost of property tax and heat will be more than a morgage and taxes for new home in TN.

Oh, and a sales tax won't get rid of the tourist. They still visit ME and VT
so don't fall for the, OMG! scare tactic. The tourist will still come here and do the same stuff they do anyways. Trash the lakes, the forest, and go skiing.

#2 If you call Geico and tell them you live in NH. they will tell you that Insurance is more because of two things. Snow.. and other un-insured motorist. A costly combination.

#3 Call one of the families who's daughter or son was killed her in NH. because they weren't wearing a helmet and see what they say.
I'm sure they won't say, Well Gee! My son or daughter should have known better and, it is so nice that there is no helmet law there.

#4 I have a pretty important job that takes concentration. We just fired a kid because he screwed up a major job because he was talking on the cell phone while trying work and screwed it up bad. In my job, people could die if we were to make a mistake and don't catch it. (he didn't catch it but someone else did) So! If we are not allowed to talk on the phone and work at the same time, then why do you think that is?

#5 Read the above message. If you were to wake up tomorrow morning, Not Free. Would you die? Exactly. Stop lying to yourself.

And. I am sorry if I have misspelled a few words but it really doesn't matter does it?

WAIT A MINUTE ! Your bio say's you're from SC. Correct me if I'm wrong but, what the heck business is a NH sales tax to you?

Last edited by MFWIC; 08-11-2008 at 06:47 PM..

Old 08-11-2008, 06:49 PM

870 posts, read 1,628,857 times
Quote:
#1 The reason for a sales tax will be to help lower property tax...We now have the highest in the nation. EXAMPLE. friend of mine is moving to a state down south. They have an 8% sales tax. His property tax is $500 per year and a cost of $45 dollars to register his new truck...He is leaving NH. because it is too expensive to live up here..For Him and his wiff. Even though their house will be paid off here in NH. The cost of property tax and heat will be more than a morgage and taxes for new home in TN.
don't you people feel like you are arguing with a piece of wood or something. this guy obviously does not understand that a sales tax will not lower property taxes. it has not done it in other states so what makes you think it will do it in new hampshire? you sound like you belong in MA, NY, or CA. they all have plenty of taxes and very liberal ideas.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:55 PM

472 posts, read 1,711,999 times
Default I like beating my head against the wall, because it feels so good when I stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
don't you people feel like you are arguing with a piece of wood or something.
Everybody's entitled to their opinions. And if I want to point my index finger at my head, and twirl it in a circular, clockwise manner, well, it just feels right, what can I say.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
don't you people feel like you are arguing with a piece of wood or something. this guy obviously does not understand that a sales tax will not lower property taxes. it has not done it in other states so what makes you think it will do it in new hampshire? you sound like you belong in MA, NY, or CA. they all have plenty of taxes and very liberal ideas.
Yes! Lets look at CA.

I just went hiking this past weekend with a couple from CA.
They have a house in CA. another in NH, and another one in FL.
Yup! poor people are taxed to death.

And MA. Well, I have a brother who has lived in MA. his whole life.
His house is twice the size of mine and his property taxes are half of mine.

NY.? Seems to me they have plenty of money too. Yup, taxed to death they are. Poor people can't even afford a trip to NH. At least not
"every" weekend.

Last edited by MFWIC; 08-11-2008 at 07:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire