Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 02:29 PM

103 posts, read 317,438 times

Advertisements

#(1) New Hampshire needs a 3-5% sales tax. I am tired of watching these out of staters come up here in thier big trucks, pulling their big boats, raping and pilaging NH's natural resources and taking up 3 parking spots while they stuff their faces and then leave a buck tip for the waitress.

The only ones who make out because of no sales tax are the big ticket sales people like boats and car sales. I say, "If they want to give out of staters a deal, let them take 5% off the sale price instead of screwing NH tax payers with their tax portions.

A 3-5% sales tax will raise billions for NH citizens to help lower property taxes and other state obligations such as road repairs, snow removal, education, etc.

AND! It Fair. All the other states around us have a sales tax and their not falling into a deep dark hole. As a matter of fact ! They seem to be doing pretty darn good compared to some of New Hampshires citizens.

Think about it NH. Lets say you pay 4k per year for property tax. Now! Lets say that you go to the store and buy a hammer. The hammer is $20 but with a 5% sales tax it is $21.00 WoW! Big deal. BUT ! because of that $1, Your Property tax is now only 2K. Which is better for you? And which is better for the out of stater?

Not only that, but don't let them make you believe that nobody will come here and spend their money because we have a sales tax. If that were true, nobody would go to Vermont or Maine either.

#(2) We need to immediately install a law for manditory automobile insurance. I am tired of paying almost double in car insurance because my insurance Co. knows that there are un-insured drivers running around in NH. and if one hits me, they will never get paid. If they can't afford $500 dollars a year for insurance, then they shouldn't be on the road !

#(3) New Hampshire needs a freaking HELMET LAW!. How many are killed from head injuries in this state each year? Here's a hint...We lead the nation in head injury deaths. And there is no reason that a father and mother need to get a phone call about their son or daughter who was a passenger on a motorcycle and was killed in an accident because she, or he didn't have to wear a helmet. It is our duty to protect lifes here in NH. even if some of them aren't that smart. (to put it nicely)

#(4) Cell Phone Law.....I know of at least 3 people, most of them young teens who have been creamed while driving and talking on the cell phone. You CAN NOT talk and think at the same time. And I would like to know that the car heading towards me at 65 miles an hour has an operator who is thinking about what they are doing. There must needs be a law here to stop fondling with, and talking on the phone while driving. (I am sooo tired of these cell phone zombies) Put the freakin phone down and step away from the car !

#(5) We need to get rid of that stupid state moto. "Live free or Die" It is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.
The only thing free in this country is "Freedom of Speech."
And which of you would die if it wasn't free ? Let me guess. None!
So, lets get rid of the stupid moto and come back down to earth.
In fact! How about a new thread for a new state moto?
Mine would be. Thank you for visiting NH. Don't let the door hit you in the back! (only kidding, I love everyone)

Old 08-10-2008, 02:50 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,334,873 times
First of all-we do not need any more taxes-we need less spending and less overinflated budgets. I have to live within a budget-so should the state of NH.

If you really think that property taxes will become lower to any significant amount-if at all-due to NEW taxes-then I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. Are you seriously suggesting that property taxes will be CUT IN HALF if we implement a sales tax? Are you trying to imply by implementing a sales tax someone who currently pays $4,000 in property taxes would only pay $2,000 if a sales tax were implemented? Please give me one example of another state where implementing a new sales or income tax cut property taxes in half or significantly lowered them.

If we implemented a 5% sales tax-what incentive would there be for people from Mass to come here to shop? Especially at near 4.00 gas? There would be none. Then would that not defeat the whole purpose of your proposal?

Massachusetts has mandatory insurance-NH does not. Mass rates are higher than NH. In this case mandatory insurance does not make insurance rates go down.

No we do not need a helmet law-we need personal responsibility. Something that this state and country lacks in these days.

No we do not a new state motto. If anything, we need to elect politicians who are going to abide by the "Live Free or Die" way of life. More now than ever, we need to back away from additional taxes and nanny state mentalities. Sorry but I am not conceding to become Masschusetts north yet.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:05 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,583,816 times
All I can say is... WOW!

I'm in Maine and we went down that path. Nope, RE taxes are not any lower. The Legislature will grab every penny and beg for more once they smell a golden goose.

Her we pay comparable taxes on twice the house. That makes a smaller place in NH worth twice as much as a lager Maine house, right off the bat.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:08 PM

311 posts, read 996,529 times
All I have to say MFWIC is I DISAGREE. nicolem keeps beating me to the punch. I say ditto to what she said.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:10 PM

311 posts, read 996,529 times
And my husband just read this over my shoulder and said NO WAY.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:11 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,334,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
All I can say is... WOW!

I'm in Maine and we went down that path. Nope, RE taxes are not any lower. The Legislature will grab every penny and beg for more once they smell a golden goose.

Her we pay comparable taxes on twice the house. That makes a smaller place in NH worth twice as much as a lager Maine house, right off the bat.
Absolutely!!

Nicolem

Old 08-10-2008, 03:15 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,454,806 times
NO to NH sales tax and YES to personal responsibility!!!

Old 08-10-2008, 04:20 PM

951 posts, read 1,657,467 times
The last suggestion aside, just take a look at your neighbor to the south. None of the proposals worked for Mass so you think it will help NH?

If you think property taxes will fall to the numbers suggested, think again. Remember which party is in power in NH. This "lower the property tax" cry is a typical liberal sound bite. They want to get deeper into your pockets, don't you understand this? Increased revenue from a sales tax will just feed liberal programs and create a hack-a-rama that will rival Mass. No thanks. Your diatribe about tourists "taking" natural resources is off base as well. NH needs these people summer and winter. Tourism creates tens of millions of dollars in local revenue and is the basis of thousands of local businesses. Taxing them and yourselves would just drive them away and increase the costs of everything. Tax free is a major draw!!! Don't screw it up! Believe me, I live in a heavy tourist area. I love tourists!! They make my year, business wise. If it weren't for them, it would be difficult to make a living. Don't bite the hand that feeds!!!

Living in the only state in the union that had regulated insurance has cost me thousands of dollars over the last 25 years. I couldn't get competitive rates until just recently and I did see a reduction. But it still is not a free market. When I move to NH, I will save literally hundreds of dollars a year. Compulsory insurance is not the answer. Trust me.

If people want to drive a motorcycle or ATV without a helmet, it's their problem. I don't go fifty feet without one, but I'm not going to tell anyone else to wear one either. That's their choice along with wearing or not wearing a seat belt. I make the decision that makes sense to me, some are just a bit more naive. That's their problem. Not the states.

Cell phones are a nationwide problem, I'll give you that. But a law? Please, the cops have enough to do. What did we do before them anyway. It's just another distraction. I personally wear a Bluethooth earpiece when I drive long distances. My job is spent on the phone quite a bit, so it's the safest for me. It leaves my hands free to keep both hands on the wheel and make good use of my turn signals. Again, it just boils down to making smart decisions. Some people are just dumb and it shows.

Now, as for the motto....you are way off base there. We have many freedoms in this country besides just freedom of speech. The motto has it's roots in freedom. I wouldn't want it any other way. LONG LIVE NEW HAMPSHIRE AND IT'S MOTTO!!!!!

Old 08-10-2008, 04:22 PM

951 posts, read 1,657,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
First of all-we do not need any more taxes-we need less spending and less overinflated budgets. I have to live within a budget-so should the state of NH.......etc,etc.
Excellent post Nichole!!!!! I'm in rep jail or else I would give one!! Huzzah!!

Old 08-10-2008, 04:22 PM

103 posts, read 317,438 times
At 4% sales tax, shopping in NH would still be a deal. And ! we wouldn't have to be a prostitution state. Bad enough a citizen of NH can't even get near their own lakes anymore.
Shopping? Ha ! What are you thinking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire