Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 08:27 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,450,823 times

Advertisements

Thank you, J!! These are the kinds of details that help complete the picture!

What a tempting dish, Val. It looks good to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 08:34 AM

452 posts, read 1,732,150 times
If any of you wish to know more about the story of the Acadians, The Canadian Broadcasting Corp. offers this 44 minute DVD entitled "Expulsion". I found it very educational as well as heart rendering. And, yes, my family is mentioned in the movie!

CBC Shop Online (http://www.cbcshop.ca/CBC/shopping/product.aspx?Product_ID=ETDOC00116&Variant_ID=6188 &lang=en-CA - broken link)

Old 08-15-2008, 12:45 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,195,604 times
Talking HELLO VERSEAU!:0) Thank you!

YOU ARE WELCOME VERSEAU!

I have always been impressed with you! You do not seem like your

typical College student! You always have a wealth of information!

And the FRENCH being on your Mother's side, actually makes more sense

because I have always heard & read that a child will always tend to be fluent

in the Mother's native tongue (read that in College) since she tends to

spend more time with the child during the first 5 years of its life

Obviously, it has helped that you have a lot of French Canadians in the

area & on the other side

By the way, CONGRATS on your FIRST LIGHT GREEN REP BAR on

the upper right corner WOOHOOO!!

Take care!

GREAT POSTS & INFO EVERYONE!THANK YOU!

Countrylv22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
Thank you, country, for your very nice introduction. Actually, it's my mother's side of the family that is French-Canadian, but I do speak French fluently.

However, I picked up the Parisian accent from school. I can still understand the Canadian accent but sometimes I have to listen carefully, especially if they're using "Joual," a very colloquial style of speech. It just takes some exposure to the accent to get used to it.

There is indeed a lot of French-Canadian influence in NH. Over 40,000 people use French as the primary language in the home. Most of them live in Coos County and in the big mill towns, especially Manchester. A lot of churches in Franco-American communities still offer French masses.

And of course, we're right next door to Quebec, so a vacation across the border is a great way to practice your French. In the summer, you'll encounter a lot of vacationers from Quebec in northern New England as well, especially at the beach and during bike week. If you go to Old Orchard Beach or Hampton Beach in August, you might hear so much French that you'd think you were in Canada.

If you're interested in learning more about the French-Canadian influence in New England, here are two great documentaries on the subject:

Franco-Americans: We Remember
Réveil: Waking Up French

Last edited by countrylv22; 08-15-2008 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: SMILE & WE WILL SMILE WITH YOU! :0) ATTITUDE IN LIFE IS KEY! :0) PEACE! :0)

Old 08-16-2008, 11:15 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,168,736 times
Thank you so much, country! You're too kind.

There's been a lot of great information in this thread! Speaking of Longfellow's poem "Evangeline" about the Acadian expulsion, there's a great French-Canadian song with the same title that was written 40 years ago or so. You can listen to a contemporary interpretation
here, with English subtitles. It's one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.

You can find a bunch of different versions of the song on youtube.
This is the original.

Also, if any of you are interested, Josée Vachon (a Franco-American singer who was born in Quebec and grew up in Maine) is giving a concert in Laconia on September 5th. I've never seen her perform in person, but her music is beautiful.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:34 AM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,195,604 times
Talking HELLO VERSEAU! :0) WOW! :0) Thank you!

HELLO VERSEAU!

Thank you for your nice post VERSEAU! I appreciate it!

You are very kind, as well!

I love music, and tend to like different types of music. If it speaks to my

soul, then I like it. And I have to say THANK YOU for sharing theses links

with us! I really LOVED both versions of the song!It has to be one of the

most beautifully written songs that I have ever heard! The lyrics are so

BEAUTIFUL, the first link brought tears to my eyes, it really moved me!And

the slides were lovely as well!Thank you so much!

I really enjoyed it!

I would really love to listen to the other singer you mentioned, however I will

not be in town on that date. Hopefully, I can catch her later on!

I love going to different types of concerts, so in the future if you hear

of other concert dates, please post them!Thank you!

Take good care Verseau!

HAPPY SUNDAY EVERYONE!

Countrylv22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
Thank you so much, country! You're too kind.

There's been a lot of great information in this thread! Speaking of Longfellow's poem "Evangeline" about the Acadian expulsion, there's a great French-Canadian song with the same title that was written 40 years ago or so. You can listen to a contemporary interpretation
here, with English subtitles. It's one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.

You can find a bunch of different versions of the song on youtube.
This is the original.

Also, if any of you are interested, Josée Vachon (a Franco-American singer who was born in Quebec and grew up in Maine) is giving a concert in Laconia on September 5th. I've never seen her perform in person, but her music is beautiful.

Last edited by countrylv22; 08-17-2008 at 01:35 AM.. Reason: SMILE & WE WILL SMILE WITH YOU! :0) ATTITUDE IN LIFE IS KEY! :0) PEACE & BLESSINGS EVERYONE!:0):0)

Old 08-17-2008, 10:00 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,450,823 times
Thanks for the song link, Verseau!
Maybe this should be a thread in the ME board, but being college age, do you (or anyone) have any thoughts on Boudoin College? I've read about it, just wondering if anyone has real word of mouth type info.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:08 AM

452 posts, read 1,732,150 times
Great links, Verseau. Just great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire