Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 05:13 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,450,823 times

Advertisements

Good point Nicole. We were used to snow, but our kids weren't. They loved it so much they celebrated every time it started snowing!! And to us it was more of a joyful reminder of having left CA than an irritant. We are so relieved to be here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 05:30 PM

6,568 posts, read 6,732,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
I agree. But if someone has never experienced a full winter and is used to mostly sunny California-it certainly will be an adjustment. I could only imagine a person who had never experienced snow in their life moving to NH last winter-when my city had the snowiest winter on record. I think it is wise that Captjob will spend 2 weeks here in the winter. He has already spent time here before. He seems to really educate himself and spend the time coming here. Some people come here once and then are surprised by the snow. I think too many people don't educate themselves enough about the winter and other things about NH and move here quickly and find themselves miserable and complain. I think more people should follow Captjob's lead when they move to a new state-where ever that may be.
I would take the snow any day over endless heat & sun. Lol, but that's just me. They plow the white stuff up really well in this area.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:40 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,324,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
I would take the snow any day over endless heat & sun. Lol, but that's just me. They plow the white stuff up really well in this area.
Me too! I love the 4 seasons and I enjoy winter.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:41 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,324,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa g View Post
Good point Nicole. We were used to snow, but our kids weren't. They loved it so much they celebrated every time it started snowing!! And to us it was more of a joyful reminder of having left CA than an irritant. We are so relieved to be here.
It must have been real neat to watch your children experience snow for the first time.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:00 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,955,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
That was a very nice post!
I agree with you Nicole!! Capt great post. I love this thread. I cant wait for my girls and DH to experience their first snowfall. There is nothing like it. Yes, I know, snow and cold weather gets old after awhile, but to me, there seems to be much more things you can do in the snow as opposed to the constant heat and smog. Last night, I actually got sick to my stomach due to the heat. As I type this, I have a cold rag on my neck. This heat is way too much to take. Plus I am getting um, hot flashes, so I am extra hot. Atleast out in NH, when I get a hot flash, I can run out in the snow

Old 09-01-2008, 12:39 AM

38 posts, read 95,455 times
Default Good Idea to check out winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
These fears of winter are very much overblown IMHO. Until the middle of December, even in central NH, most days are still close to 40 degrees. I'm not saying it's a cake-walk up here, but by no means is this area anyway as bad as a place like up-state NY.
I think you're definitely on to something to check it out. I am planning a trip after Christmas before the kids go back to school. We have a long break this year. I agree winter can be a turned into a great adventure for all of us. It's all perspective. Thanks also to the others who posted great notes. It helps to confirm my decision. I'll definitely be spending time on here while I get all my research done. Plus, it's just interesting to hear what everyone has to say. I'm leaning to Exeter but nothing is carved in stone yet.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfSwamis View Post
I think you're definitely on to something to check it out. I am planning a trip after Christmas before the kids go back to school. We have a long break this year. I agree winter can be a turned into a great adventure for all of us. It's all perspective. Thanks also to the others who posted great notes. It helps to confirm my decision. I'll definitely be spending time on here while I get all my research done. Plus, it's just interesting to hear what everyone has to say. I'm leaning to Exeter but nothing is carved in stone yet.
Keep hanging around this forum SurfSwamis, you will learn a lot from these wonderful folks who post here. My family and I are in Santa Clarita, and are planning a move this coming year. We are going out in Oct to check out some towns. My hubby really likes what he has seen in Portsmouth. That is where we are going to be staying when we go out there.

Going to NE after Christmas will be beautiful I bet. I am sure you will have a great time.

Have a great Labor Day also.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:34 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,450,823 times
Yes, watching my kids marvel about experiencing snow and seasons is something I'll never forget - this summer they got to see fireflies for the very first time too. Again, magical!

Old 09-01-2008, 09:15 AM

264 posts, read 616,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfSwamis View Post

My Winter trip is December 27 - January 11th. My first winter and new years in NH. Renting a sno-coach several days along with planned ski trips etc to enjoy the experince.

Captjob

Old 09-01-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa g View Post
Yes, watching my kids marvel about experiencing snow and seasons is something I'll never forget - this summer they got to see fireflies for the very first time too. Again, magical!
I am so happy your kids were able to experience both of those things. They will remember their firsts forever.

I havent ever seen a firefly. Another reason to move, lol. The list keeps growing.

Capt, your winter vacation sounds awesome. Hehe, I might stowe away this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire