Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 12:21 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
I am so happy your kids were able to experience both of those things. They will remember their firsts forever.

I havent ever seen a firefly. Another reason to move, lol. The list keeps growing.

Capt, your winter vacation sounds awesome. Hehe, I might stowe away this time.

Or perhaps you come in October and never leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 12:40 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,957,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
[/b]

Or perhaps you come in October and never leave.
Ohhh I like your idea better.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:45 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,176,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjob View Post
My Winter trip is December 27 - January 11th. My first winter and new years in NH. Renting a sno-coach several days along with planned ski trips etc to enjoy the experince.

Captjob
Hey Capt - I don't know about other areas of NH, but if you're up in this area again - if you see a bunch of bonfires on New Years Eve, DON'T PULL OUT YOUR FIRE-FIGHTING GEAR!!!!! Bonfires and house parties seem to be the norm up here on NYE

Old 09-01-2008, 03:35 PM

264 posts, read 616,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
Hey Capt - I don't know about other areas of NH, but if you're up in this area again - if you see a bunch of bonfires on New Years Eve, DON'T PULL OUT YOUR FIRE-FIGHTING GEAR!!!!! Bonfires and house parties seem to be the norm up here on NYE

Great Dare, What times your bon fire? We'll be right over with the snowmobiles, no fire gear.

Coming from Bethlehem. (sp?)

Captjob

Old 09-01-2008, 03:37 PM

264 posts, read 616,733 times
Quote:
I am so happy your kids were able to experience both of those things. They will remember their firsts forever.

I havent ever seen a firefly. Another reason to move, lol. The list keeps growing.

Capt, your winter vacation sounds awesome. Hehe, I might stowe away this time.
Plenty of room Suzet!! Get on the train and meet us there, we can share a little frost bite together.

Captjob

Old 09-02-2008, 12:15 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,946,618 times
Capt, I hope we have plenty of snow on the ground for your visit!! Last year we were COVERED with the white stuff at that time. The year before, it was 70+ degrees in early January (my son went swimming in the Atlantic Ocean on January 7 I believe it was) and all of my spring bulbs started to come up way too early! Maybe The Old Farmer's Almanac is correct in the prediction for a doozie this year!!

Quote:
My Winter trip is December 27 - January 11th. My first winter and new years in NH. Renting a sno-coach several days along with planned ski trips etc to enjoy the experince.

Captjob
Suzet, you've never seen a firefly?? I'm sorry to hear that! We don't have nearly the number of fireflies that we had when I was a kid. On summer nights, we would catch a dozen or more for each jar, and bring them into our rooms and watch them flash. My mom would set them all free after we went to sleep. It was pretty cool Firefly's will be most likely hibernating (or at least not flashing for a mate LOL) when you're here in October, but when you come back NEXT SUMMER you'll get to see them for sure!!!

Quote:

Old 09-02-2008, 05:27 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,176,855 times
Quote:
Great Dare, What times your bon fire? We'll be right over with the snowmobiles, no fire gear.

Coming from Bethlehem. (sp?)

Captjob
Hehehe - You'll be about 5 minutes from us if you're going to be in Bethlehem. Our first year up here, the party we went to was in Bethlehem.

I'll never forget it - We were told it was a NYE bonfire party and figured we'd be outside the whole time....and that winter was the COLD one! I looked like the Pillsbury Doughboy - I had on so many clothes I could hardly walk, let alone sit in the car to get to the house! Nobody told us that the party was also INSIDE.

We lived outside of town at the time and on the way to the party we could see fires at various places along the way - we didn't realize how "big" bonfires were up here on NYE.

We spent quite a bit of time around the fire at the party - it was easier than trying to take off layers, then put them back on, going in and out of the house The family with the party had a "run" set up for sledding. One of the guests decided to go down the run WITHOUT a sled - he was in his 60's - the party was cut short when he messed up his back and the ambulance had to come and transport him to the hospital - he fractured a couple of his lower vertebrae! He's doing fine now and swears he'll never go sledding without a sled again.

Last year we just hung out here at our house with a fire in the fireplace

Old 09-03-2008, 10:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,534 times
family matters try Hopkinton its a nice small little town of 6,000 and has very good schools!

Old 09-04-2008, 10:55 PM

607 posts, read 2,368,371 times
55...thanks, I'll look into it. Does it have an elementary school, middle school, high school? How would you describe the town? Is this a bedroom community for commuters or are most residents likely to work in or near this town? Keep me posted.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:34 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,035,160 times
I remember Hopkinton from years ago: Hollis did a chorus 'exchange' concert with them (or was it band?). Yes, it had it's own schools - they seemed pretty good, we thought they were kinda big compared to Hollis. the music program was also equal to ours (and we were.. and still are.. very good!). The town was nice, I'd say it was a bedroom town. Although does Hopkinton host a big fair?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire