Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 05:04 PM

909 posts, read 3,364,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2NCMom View Post
Ok I worked at Hannaford Bros way back when they first started out and was known as Shop n Save, and my sister currently works for Shaws, and my ex hubby worked at Market Basket. So here's my take:

MB - definitely cheaper, but stores are not as clean but not too bad. I definitely see this as those on a strict budget type of store - great prices for beer and cigs

Shaws - good for a bulk type shopping or for "shopping for what's on sale" because it will cost you a pretty penny at the end of the day. Has a "wharehouse" feel to it.

HB aka SNS - I LOVE this store - always a good variety, would prefer to buy all my produce and meat here, never a concern about the quality. Again you pay for what you get, and to me it's worth it - but if you want to shop at all 3 and get what's most important to you at HB. In Dover, we have all 3 of these stores within a 1/2 mile of each other - so it's awesome!
Thanks, that is very helpful! We have everything except Shaws. But for warehouse shopping we will go to Costco in Nashua.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 05:25 PM

259 posts, read 988,505 times
Default similar experience W my Heating boiler

When I bought my house here 22 years ago. I was lucky to call the oil serviceman that originally installed my boiler [ a real oddball model produced for a few years by GE in the '50's] installed in 1952, only to find that he would retire in a year or 2, due to health problems. The boiler was extremely efficient but would periodically require special adjustments on a special test bench, that would leave inexperienced technicians scratching their heads could only offer "I have heard of these!"It looked more like an old round wringer washing machine. Nobody knew how to properly adjust it which would need to be taken back to the shop by somebody familiar with it. Due to the retirement of the only guy that knew anything about it I had to replace it with one no more efficient, but more standard than the old one. For years I managed to keep it running on my own. At least now I can call anybody to work it.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:20 PM

216 posts, read 913,821 times
[quote=NH2NCMom;5006508]Ok I worked at Hannaford Bros way back when they first started out and was known as Shop n Savequote]

Oh my gosh! I worked there in high school, when it was Alexanders
That's going back quite a ways.....anyone else remember? It was the one on South Willow Street where Bradlees used to be.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:29 PM

216 posts, read 913,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
Thanks, that is very helpful! We have everything except Shaws. But for warehouse shopping we will go to Costco in Nashua.
When you go to Costco, you could also hit the Trader Joe's. It's maybe a mile from Costco. I used to go to Trader Joe's once a month or so and stock up, and bring coolers. In the winter you probably won't even need coolers if you are in Bedford, it's only about 1/2 hr or so down the highway.

The Shaw's in Manchester (on South Willow) has the biggest organic/natural food selection out of all the grocery stores in the area, and also, in the same parking lot is the A-Market which is probably the best organic store around. It is pricey, but it definitely has the best produce and it is all organic & lots of local and lots of hard to find stuff. They will also special order things for you.

We just moved from NH to Florida about 2 weeks ago. I am very thankful that there is a brand new, huge Whole Foods right around the corner!
Last I heard, they were building a Whole Foods in Nashua??

Old 08-26-2008, 06:45 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,704,126 times
[quote=miakelly;5008348]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2NCMom View Post
Ok I worked at Hannaford Bros way back when they first started out and was known as Shop n Savequote]

Oh my gosh! I worked there in high school, when it was Alexanders
That's going back quite a ways.....anyone else remember? It was the one on South Willow Street where Bradlees used to be.
In Dover we never had Alexanders - but dang Bradlees is a name from the past too LOL.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:36 PM

909 posts, read 3,364,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miakelly View Post
When you go to Costco, you could also hit the Trader Joe's. It's maybe a mile from Costco. I used to go to Trader Joe's once a month or so and stock up, and bring coolers. In the winter you probably won't even need coolers if you are in Bedford, it's only about 1/2 hr or so down the highway.
Yup, we will be making a monthly pilgrimage to both Costco and TJ's and stocking up on some essentials

Old 08-26-2008, 09:39 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
A-Market is without a doubt one of the bright stars of this area. The staff is very knowledgeable, and will spend time with you to find the best product or supplement for your situation. I've got 2 kids with completely unrelated medical needs, and I can't tell you how much the suggestions I've received from store employees have helped. I could probably get the same stuff cheaper elsewhere, but the knowledge and caring is something that I'm willing to pay a little extra for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miakelly View Post
The Shaw's in Manchester (on South Willow) has the biggest organic/natural food selection out of all the grocery stores in the area, and also, in the same parking lot is the A-Market which is probably the best organic store around. It is pricey, but it definitely has the best produce and it is all organic & lots of local and lots of hard to find stuff. They will also special order things for you.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:50 AM

461 posts, read 797,085 times
Word of caution if you choose Market Basket - always check the sell-by dates. I have never gone there without grabbing some stock person to have him remove some moldy cheese or expired milk. Once I heard one worker tell another to remove some bread because it was moldy. I stick to canned or frozen when I go there, even then I'm cautious.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:23 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,452,661 times
And I should add that the Shaw's in Milford has been completely renovated - sometime in the past 10 yrs- I used to shop there long ago when it was just an old supermarket and now it's not only renovated but they also sell a much wider variety of specialty foods. It's way nicer than it used to be, but also way pricier.

Where is A-Market again?

Old 08-27-2008, 08:44 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,329,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa g View Post
And I should add that the Shaw's in Milford has been completely renovated - sometime in the past 10 yrs- I used to shop there long ago when it was just an old supermarket and now it's not only renovated but they also sell a much wider variety of specialty foods. It's way nicer than it used to be, but also way pricier.

Where is A-Market again?

In Manchester on South Willow by the Shaw's. I agree with the others- I think it is a great natural/organic store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire