Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 05:17 PM

909 posts, read 3,362,656 times

Advertisements

How much do you pay for a mother's helper? That is, a 12-13 yo girl who comes to help watch your kids while you are in the house? We have a girl coming over tomorrow to watch the (2) kids while the movers are here. I'm asking around, but I can't seem to get a definite answer. The girl's mother has no idea as she hasn't used a sitter in years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 07:06 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,135,202 times
$5. per hour per child.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:07 PM

282 posts, read 1,185,940 times
I do 5 an hour for a sitter that age too..........I would say if you are in the house and around, you should be able to pay her just 5, rather than 5 per kid...........if you were out and she was home alone, maybe 5 for each...........but, hey, maybe I am cheap.....??!!!

Old 08-21-2008, 08:33 PM

1,281 posts, read 3,702,676 times
wow $5 an hour for a 12 year old???? that's higher than minimum wage was 2 years ago!!! Especially with her in the house - I'd do more than $5 per hour (not per child) but I'd do more like a flat rate of $20 if it's like 5-6 hours or so. I'm sure you are feeding her as well. I'm sorry but I am cheap, I only make $10/hour with my airline job! Wow can I come work for y'all?? LOL Yall are too generous in my opinion

Old 08-21-2008, 09:21 PM

24 posts, read 89,396 times
Default $5.00 per hour for both seems right

As long as everything is in order and she doesn't ask you every 2 minutes about something and the kids aren't under your feet. If everything is spectacular when the day is over, I would give her a little extra, ie the dishes are done, their rooms and them are clean and tidy, she wasn't talking on the phone all day, no trips to the ER (LOL). A good sitter that is willing to do it is priceless now adays.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:28 PM

120 posts, read 785,778 times
My daughter babysits and used to do helper stuff - she now gets $10 per hour for the first 2 children and then $5 an hour per child above that per family. When she did the mom's helper jobs, she usually just got a flat fee - and that was dependent upon what was expected of her, i.e. if she had to do dishes, fold laundry, play inside, play outside, take them on a bike ride or to the park, if they had friends over, give baths, etc. Normally she would just be there for probably 3 -5 hours and would make like $20 or $25, but she always said that she'd try to do something extra like empty the D/W or make the beds or do crafts with the kids and clean it all up, or paint fingernails or just a little something extra. I know some of her friends used to complain that they didn't get paid that much, so I don't know if it's just our neighbors trying to be nice to her, or if the little extras mattered... I think whatever you feel she's worth after the experience is what you should pay her, but definitely not more than $5 an hour, for sure!! Heck, minimum wage is only $6 something here!

Old 08-22-2008, 06:37 AM

91 posts, read 307,757 times
$10 per hour?? Wow! People around here don't even make that working retail.

Hey, since I have 4 kids and I stay at home with them all day, does that mean I get $20 an hour?

Old 08-22-2008, 06:44 AM

it's funny how people complain about the price to take care of a child

unfortunately, this is seen throughout all the business that involve children

daycare people very often work for minimum wage and parents find it very hard to afford the fees to put children in daycare.

Quite often it becomes more economical for a working mom to stay home if there are small children involved.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:52 AM

my youngest is 25 - she has a college education and is employed full time

recently she took on a 2 day job as a nanny for someone who was attending a wedding at Wentworth By the Sea

she worked from 5PM until 11PM on Friday and from 3PM until midnight on Saturday

Three children under the age of 5.....15 hours. She made $400. She thought it was a fair deal, for the children were hard work. She has a degree in Child Psychology, but nothing beats hard experience. LOL

The parents felt it was WELL WORTH THE $$$$!!!

Old 08-22-2008, 08:26 AM

1,281 posts, read 3,702,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
it's funny how people complain about the price to take care of a child

unfortunately, this is seen throughout all the business that involve children

daycare people very often work for minimum wage and parents find it very hard to afford the fees to put children in daycare.

Quite often it becomes more economical for a working mom to stay home if there are small children involved.
not complaining about the price of taking care of my child, unless it takes as much as 50% or more of what I am making - because IRS and the state of NC take the SAME EACH - about 12% or more then Medicare and stuff take the other 8% - so now we are at 70% of my paycheck gone before I get a dime (oh and don't forget not paying for medical, life, std, ltd or any 401K) and the gas to go to work and then of course to go to the babysitter/daycare to pick them up and find out they didn't eat and now you have to go home and find something last minute to feed them LOL.

anyhow, good to see someone else agrees with the flat rate thing Carole - and yes I believe the extras do mean something. I just don't see a 12 or 13 year old getting paid too much since if they go out and get a job they'd be lucky to get more than minimum wage. Now if this was an adult we are talking about that's something different (ie., Buck's daughter).

I hope the move goes smoothly - and you are able to enjoy part of your weekend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire