Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2008, 12:11 AM

14 posts, read 46,747 times

Advertisements

Ive been looking at several places in and one of them is New Hampshire. Im another disgruntled California resident.

I have several questions--

I am 34 and have DJ, Hotel and Insurance (auto and health) background. Im looking to move to someplace quiet with scenery, community as well as nice people; and yet close to "civilization" for shopping, enterainment etc.

Also, is it expensive to live and I heard NH has 4 seasons (snow?) Lastly does the job market suck and I am single so is there a chance for me to meet a nice New England female?

Just a few concerns

Thanks friends
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 07:10 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,039,146 times
lol, yes NH has 4 seasons (some add mud season in there as well). oh yes: it surely gets snow! sometimes more than you ever want to deal with. But that's just part of New England life, you get to take the good with the bad.

I'm afraid the job market is not great in NH or anywhere! You're best bet might be to pick a nice town in commuting distance to one of the bigger cities.

You mentioned DJing.. radio or private function? if it's radio you'll want to be near the cities where the stations are. And also that's where you'll find more singles action - of course Portsmouth is said to have some good possibilities for singles activities. (and don't forget that many people meet doing regular things like church activities, grocery shopping.....).

If you want to pursue the hotel industry - there are hotel/motels all over, it's a bit more touristy up around the lakes and the mountains.

I'd try to find the job first and then look for a town near it to live. But first, if you've never been to NH, come and visit for a couple of weeks in deep winter (Feb - Mar) and see if you can stand it. Coming any other time of the year can make you fall in love with it.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:57 AM

91 posts, read 307,876 times
The area I live in does have many hotel and insurance type jobs, but I wouldn't say it's quiet (except maybe in the off seasons). We get a lot of tourists and traffic can be bad in the summer. We also get a lot of snow. Last year, the snow was so deep it began to block our windows, but last year was unusual. It can also get very cold! Subzero temps with even colder wind chills. I think it's a bit warmer in Southern NH and the closer you are to MA. NH does have a high cost of living, but I doubt it's anything compared to CA. We love it here even with the cold and snow! There's nothing better than cuddling up in front of the fireplace with a cup of hot chocolate, a good book and watching the snow fall outside of your window.

Good luck with your search!

Old 08-18-2008, 10:52 AM

WannaComeHome: I DJ club and functions. Im taking a vacation in Mar/April so Im looking to visit then.

JMishy: Re the cost of living examples; right now gas is about $3.80 and rent for a 1 bdrm apt is anywhwere from $750 to $950 depending on where in Sac you live.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:56 PM

91 posts, read 307,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt B View Post
JMishy: Re the cost of living examples; right now gas is about $3.80 and rent for a 1 bdrm apt is anywhwere from $750 to $950 depending on where in Sac you live.
The cost of gas seems to be the same and the rent is comparable...maybe a smidgen cheaper here, depending on how close to the town center you want to be. I'd say $550-$850

Old 08-18-2008, 05:03 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,704,624 times
Seacoast is probably your better bet - and gas about the same, but I'd say for a 1 bdr apt you can probably do a bit cheaper than Cali.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:44 PM

Thanks Mishy and Mom! Ill look at Seacoast.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:24 PM

885 posts, read 2,661,835 times
Sacramento is cheaper than the bigger cities in Cali. So expect rent to be similar on the Seacoast. Cheaper in Manchester/Nashua.

Are you in insurance sales or underwriting/actuary? I ask as Liberty Mutual has major offices in Dover and Portsmouth - but it's back-office type stuff (IT, HR, etc.)- not sales. A few bigger hotels in Portsmouth, and then lots of them as you get closer to Boston.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:16 PM

793 posts, read 1,343,725 times
Quote:
(snow?)
Ha-ha. Good one.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:39 PM

62 posts, read 180,263 times
(snow?) ... maybe just a little... (hahaha... I'm from up there and I like to call my old friends and tell them what the weather is down here in February just to hear them cry!!!!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire