Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 07:20 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,939,739 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I was just curious if anyone drives snowmobiles during the winter? Are they hard to learn how to drive? I know in VT there are a lot of trails and the VAST trail systems. Does NH have anything like that? My hubby and were talking the other night about buying a couple snowmobiles when we move there. What are the good brands to look into? Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 07:21 PM

1,281 posts, read 3,694,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
Hey all, I was just curious if anyone drives snowmobiles during the winter? Are they hard to learn how to drive? I know in VT there are a lot of trails and the VAST trail systems. Does NH have anything like that? My hubby and were talking the other night about buying a couple snowmobiles when we move there. What are the good brands to look into? Thanks for any info.
All I can answer is heck yeah they snowmobile in NH - from South to North and there are trails all over the place. Beyond that I can't give any advice - I was always a passenger

Old 08-22-2008, 07:25 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,939,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2NCMom View Post
All I can answer is heck yeah they snowmobile in NH - from South to North and there are trails all over the place. Beyond that I can't give any advice - I was always a passenger
Well we need to get a CD Forum ladies snowmobile club going then!! Lol. We will tear up the trails. Give the men a run for their money

Old 08-22-2008, 07:30 PM

1,281 posts, read 3,694,550 times
Quote:
Well we need to get a CD Forum ladies snowmobile club going then!! Lol. We will tear up the trails. Give the men a run for their money
Heck yeah - we can do it

Old 08-22-2008, 08:11 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,076,674 times
Up here in northern NH, we have a snowmobile club. My brother in law is the vice president and in charge of maintaining the snowmobile trails. All 132 miles of them up here in the northern woods. He's also part of the ATV trail club and maintaining that too. I learned something this week, snowmobiles can ride the ATV trails but ATV's cannot ride the snowmobile trails. And how do they maintain the trails you ask?? well, here's what they use... (my daughter standing in front of it) the snow trail groomer. It only costs pocket change of $180,000 for the whole set up. Every week volunteers of the club offer their time to groom the trails with this thing. I'm anxious to go for the ride in it this winter (it's heated of course). My brother in law likes to groom at night time because if the snow is deep, the wildlife like to hang out in the middle of the trails where it's not so deep. I enjoy snowmobiling. my brother has 4 machines of his own. Some of the common brands you'll see up here are Arctic Cats and Polaris for both snowmobiles and ATV's. Throughout the year the snowmobile club will host cookouts, snowmachine radar runs and different things like that to help in the expense of things. They are easy to drive. if you can drive an ATV it's no different on a snowmobile. You have a gas throttle and a brake throttle but i would recommend some heated grip pads so your little fingers don't freeze. Oh yes, they do have them heated. One other thing i learned, always wear Wool. Never cotton or polyester. Just pure wool. Wool will not make you sweat which if you sweat, your clothes get wet and you'll get cold.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:21 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,440,656 times
And down south where I live people snowmobile all over the place. Very common in winter, although I don't know about trails. Not an activity for me (too anxious) although it sounds like a blast.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:00 PM

230 posts, read 873,036 times
Quote:
According the the New Hampshire Snowmobile Association, there are 115 snowmobile clubs in the state, and 6,830 miles of trails. Snowmobiles are easy to learn to drive, but you have to have common sense and obey the rules, just like driving a car. When I was about 10 years old I started to snowmobile to school rather than walk. I used to drive Artic Cats and Ski Doos. FUN!!
New Hampshire (NH) Snowmobile Clubs and Snowmobiling Links

Old 08-22-2008, 09:32 PM

215 posts, read 581,963 times
During the winter it is very common to see the older kids going to school on their snowmobiles. The trail here in Colebrook goes through my property. On nice sunny weekend days it is a steady stream of machines heading into and out of town. I like to ride myself but my back shortens the time and distance before it starts to bother me and forces me to go home.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:34 AM

274 posts, read 625,737 times
Quote:
My hubby and were talking the other night about buying a couple snowmobiles when we move there. What are the good brands to look into? Thanks for any info.
I don't know about New Hampshire, but I grew up in Michigan and the majority of people drove either Polaris or Arctic Cats as far as brands/models go. You can't go wrong with either model. But Yamaha and Ski Doo's are a good choice also.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:09 AM

26,379 posts, read 46,272,694 times
The most snowmobile trails are in the northern part of the state. They have a huge number of corridor trails in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire