Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 11:03 PM

32 posts, read 177,407 times

Advertisements

Will somebody tell me more about this place, Campton, NH? Any pictures would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 05:32 AM

311 posts, read 993,620 times
I live right next to Campton, so I can tell you all you need to know!

Give me specifics of what you want...

Old 08-23-2008, 05:32 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,174,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabs View Post
Will somebody tell me more about this place, Campton, NH? Any pictures would be much appreciated!
I don't know much about Campton, but here's a link to the town's website:
Campton Board of Selectmen

*If* I have the right town, I think they have a fairly large bluegrass festival each summer, which is called a bluegrass festival, but also offers other types of music as well.

Hope the site helps!

Old 08-24-2008, 08:42 AM

Campton and the adjacent town, Thornton, are like one town. They share a fire department, reycling center (the "dump"), post office and Campton's little downtown (if you can call it that) is where Campton & Thornton folks do their business.

Since I don't know what you want to know about in particular (e.g. school, shopping, etc.), all I can say is that it is a nice little town but is somewhat lacking in the sense of community one might find in a town with a real Main Street-style downtown. That doesn't mean that people aren't friendly and helpful - they are. There are some attractive older homes in the upper village on Rt. 175 & Mad River Road and in the lower village on Rt. 175. There are some attractive subdivisions - some with nice mountain views. Campton is easily accessible from I-93 at exit 28 - hop off the exit and you're there. The highway divides Campton into Campton proper and West Campton.

Shopping is limited to Campton Cupboard (which is a good grocery store), Campton Falls Marketplace (caters more to the upscale 2nd home/vacationer market), and Quick Pik (may have a new name now) & Chesleys, both of which are convenience type stores. Dining: Mad River Tavern (popular with locals & vacationers alike), Chesleys Pizza, Bellas Pizza, & Country Cow (popular with the locals especially). Recreation: Owl's Nest Golf Course, Campton Mountain Ski Area (weather permitting), 15-20 minute drive to Waterville Valley & Loon Mountain ski areas, Pemigewasset River runs through town, which is nice for kayaking/canoeing, campgrounds, snowmobiling trails. Campton does have a bluegrass festival, a boogie & blues festival, White Mountain Light Park (a Christmas themed light park open Thanksgiving thru Christmas), new this year: Forest Jam, and a cooperative arts shop: Artistic Roots. Campton Garden Club is very active and was a prime mover in creating a "sense of arrival" to the town with landscaping and lights on the bridge that crosses the Mad River, located at the one traffic light in town. the Historical Society is active. I've heard from many friends who have or had children in the Campton Elementary School that there have been some administrative and academic challenges in the past. I think they're improving.

Anything else you wanna know?!!

Last edited by newhampshiregirl; 08-24-2008 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: Add info

Old 08-24-2008, 08:48 AM

I forgot - you asked for pictures. I don't have any, but if you google Campton, NH images, you'll find some that will at least give you an idea.

Are you thinking of moving up here?

Old 06-04-2012, 09:24 PM

320 posts, read 1,556,963 times
These posts are from 2008. Does anyone have an updated description of the Campton area?

Old 06-05-2012, 05:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
Google Street View is your friend.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,747 times
I would like to know about the schools and the economy.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:37 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,134,544 times
Yes...Campton has a school. :P

http://www.usa.com/campton-nh-school-district.htm

and the area is a tourist destination for Waterville Valley.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:57 AM

477 posts, read 899,537 times
Typical small White Mountain town. Fairly expensive property tax rate but a wide range of home valuations. Lots of second homes due to proximity to skiing and hiking, snowmobiling. It is right off 93 which is a plus in some ways. Lots of trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire