Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 08:56 PM

82 posts, read 238,115 times

Advertisements

What you will find in some of the towns surrounding Peterborough though is that the homes are valued higher, so even with a lower tax rate, you'll be paying higher taxes.

I can't remember what my home in Hancock was assessed for but I think it was around $249K and I paid about $5400 per year in taxes. It sold a couple of years ago for $329K. My house in Peterborough which is on the market is assessed at $226K and I pay $5100 in taxes.

The difference is that in Hancock there weren't many services. It was a beautiful small little town with a small police force and fire department but not much else. Peterborough is larger and so your taxes are paying for larger forces, the excellent recreation department and much more.

The smaller the town, the fewer the expenses, therefore, lower taxes. But like I said, some of those smaller towns are very desirable, like Hancock and Sharon for instance, so the houses will cost more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 09:11 PM

117 posts, read 425,136 times
Sharon is nice and the kids there are bused to Peterborough schools. You would be even closer to the Sharon Arts Center too . Sharon Arts Center

Old 08-30-2008, 09:45 PM

2 posts, read 5,796 times
OK, I'm feeling like the tax police, but here goes again...

If you have lower property taxes, you're probably giving up something. The something you may be giving up could be fire/ police coverage which WILL affect your homeowners insurance.

In addition, find out what the roads look like in the winter in that lower property tax town. I know a friend moved to the adjacent town because the property taxes were a bit lower. Come to find out, they do a less than stellar job at keeping the roads clear in the winter. Does the town have garbage collection?? recycling?? a rec department??? A lot of times, if you want to use the rec facilities in another town, you have to pay -- that assumes they have room for you.

As with most things, you generally get what you pay for. Before just jumping on the lowest property tax bandwagon, do your homework.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:50 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times
Yup, all very good points. I think that's why I said 'what are you willing to give up?'

Old 08-31-2008, 10:11 AM

34 posts, read 111,371 times
Thanks for the info on the towns surrounding Peterborough! I think we'll spend a weekend in the area this Fall and look at houses. It seems like an area that's perfect for us right now.

Did you see that the Manadnock region was featured in this month's Yankee Magazine? Cool!

Old 10-23-2008, 04:42 PM

587 posts, read 1,625,376 times
What do you think of the schools in Peterborough? (Do Harrisville residents go to Peterborough schools?) Also, what do you all think of the commute between Peterborough and Keene? If my husband is working in Keene and doesn't want to commute more than 30 minutes, is Peterborough an option? I was hoping to find a town with a main street w/a coffee shop, restaurants, shops that we could WALK TO from our home - home in a nice, safe area w/ very good schools. Sounds like that will be tricky in Keene as the downtown area/homes within walking distance might be tough. Do you think Peterborough is a good option? Oh - as far as schools - I have a 10 and a 13 y.o. Thanks so much for any information!

Old 10-23-2008, 07:05 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times
That commute might be workable. It's about 45min from New Ipswich to Keene (which is why my nephew pulled out of our plan on having him caretake our 'storage' house) in good weather. And NI to Peterborough is about 20-30 min. You might check on googlemaps just from the city centers and see what kind of time it gives you. And remember: that's good weather, not winter. Although the roads are plowed if it's actively snowing while you're driving, the drive time will go up.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:45 AM

Thanks Wanna - I'll check that. Do you think the other criteria - i.e., walk to main street, etc. are workable in Peterborough??

Old 10-24-2008, 10:00 AM

34 posts, read 111,371 times
There are quite a few homes on the market right now that are within an easy walk to the Peterborough downtown. There's a diner, some restaurants and a great book store and nice library all within the small downtown area. You can find out a little more about the town on it's website: Peterborough, NH -- Welcome to Our Town's Web Site!

The parks and rec department seems to offer a lot for the kids to do in the Summer. Check out Town Departments/departments/current recreation brochure

Old 10-24-2008, 02:45 PM

That sounds really nice gradRun!! I will look at those listings on MLS. Appreciate the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire