Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 07:32 PM

1,281 posts, read 3,703,006 times

Advertisements

Well as you can tell from my name I WAS in NH and now in NC. I wasn't born in NH, as I was adopted in Germany and moved to the States when I was a year old. I lived in Dover until I got married - then lived in Kittery and Berwick ME, then moved back to Dover, Portsmouth, Rochester, and Somersworth. All my family is in the Tri-City area.

I do plan on moving back to NH when the criteria are met: finances, place to live, place to work!

I will be visiting though in 5 weeks

I found C-D when googling for something on NC and then searched C-D for NH and found y'all. I feel like I belong still in NH and not here in NC - so I hang here and "visit" NC LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 07:34 PM

63 posts, read 132,532 times
My sons both went to school in NH, married wonderful NH girls and have stayed there to raise their families. We've spent a dozen years visiting and browsing various towns, and now DH and I are looking to relocate from NJ to Dover in two years. I found the forum as I was beginning to look for information about several towns and have found the people here to be friendly, funny, and helpful.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:35 PM

1,281 posts, read 3,703,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
http://bestsmileys.com/lol/6.gif (broken link) Dare, I'm frequently confused - about many things!!!

I grew up in NH - Hollis & New Ipswich (yeah, I know: no one's ever heard of the latter). Still planning to come back in 4 years.
Hey now give us credit - I've heard of New Ipswich but can't say I've BEEN there

Old 08-24-2008, 07:49 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,169,472 times
I was born in Massachusetts and spent my childhood there in the nice town of Mansfield, before moving to Bristol, New Hampshire about 10 years ago. I also have family in Rhode Island and Maine so I consider myself a New Englander before anything else.

I'm very interested in geography and regional differences (linguistic, cultural, etc.), so that's probably what brought me to city-data. After I started going to college in southern California 3 years ago, I began to really appreciate my home region and so I love to provide info to those who are considering moving there.

And it also provides a good outlet for my photography hobby.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:23 PM

91 posts, read 307,782 times
My family moved here to NH when I was 8. I've pretty much grown up here my entire life and now live here with my family. We live in the Mount Washington Valley.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:02 PM

680 posts, read 2,439,854 times
My family is in NH and I grew up spending all my vacations there. Found CD when DH and I were hoping to relocate to NH. We are unhappy CA residents... We have spent so much time looking at real estate, checking out various towns etc but have now put plans on hold until we see what happens with our business. Ultimately, I don't know if we'll move to NH or have to move elsewhere for more career opportunity, but we'll always have the goal of ending up in NH eventually. We spend at least a month there every summer so the kids can have a taste of the country. Our family's near North Conway.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:34 PM

120 posts, read 785,815 times
I live in southeastern Louisiana, right outside Baton Rouge. We are going to definitely be relocating to NH in 3 years when my husband retires. We aren't sure exactly where / what town yet, but plan on making several trips over the next years to decide for sure which town / area is for us. Our daughter has her heart set on attending Dartmouth, but we'll have to wait and see. Also, I'm gathering information but I'm also here to just chat b/c I feel like I've gotten to know several people on here and really enjoy visiting and teasing back and forth with them. It has become part of my daily ritual to get onlline and check on my 'friends'.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:58 PM

248 posts, read 805,188 times
Talking Hey there!

Hey! I'm here for relocation..and just to meet some great people! : I'm was born and brought up in Northern NJ... moved across country to Northeast WA state in 2005. We have a fabulous 2 yr old daughter and we are trying to move closer to family... but not give up the country living that we have now

Our 2nd trip is in OCTOBER!! We can't wait... I think...we will see after our visit, that somewhere along the I-89 route is for us... depending on what we can find for jobs!

Nice to meet everyone!

Old 08-24-2008, 10:37 PM

132 posts, read 356,309 times
Grew up in So Cal but spent my summers in Maine visiting our very large family there (parents moved out here for better job opportunities). Lived in Maine from 95-98 when I returned to CA to take care of some real estate and ended up marrying my best friend.

Now have 4 small children (ages 5yr to 11 months) and are looking to make the move the NH in about 4 years. If the real estate market picks up before then and DH can find a job, we will move sooner.

I am a NE girl at heart and always will be. It will be so nice to be close to family.

Don't know which area we will ultimately end up in but I have faith it will all work out great. We can't wait to get home.

Hey- I just realized I have my second green bar-WOW I am so excited
PS: Thank you to everyone for your warm welcome to the NH board. You have all been so great!!!

Old 08-25-2008, 01:27 AM

257 posts, read 619,194 times
I remember that there was a big discussion in some legislative committee as to why so many young people were leaving the state of New Hampshire. Of course, being a young person, it's obvious. The Live Free or Die state has more restrictions on personal freedom (bars close at 1am, no strip clubs, no gambling, etc...) than most states, and there's just not much to do (museums, amusement parks, zoos, clubs, etc) because all of the 18-35 year olds who frequent those things have gone to other states.

There are a lot of benefits to living here, but there are still plenty of restrictions on the books, and we need more folks to show up in the legislature (and town hall meetings) to let these guys no that more restrictions are causing more problems than they're worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire