Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2007, 12:26 PM

24 posts, read 126,165 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
We are originally from upstate NY, we moved to Gig Harbor Wa. 2 years ago and miss the east coast. We are relocating to the Exeter school system, Stratham Brentwood area looking. We have two children that will be attending school son 11 yrs and daughter 16. How are the girls in Exeter high with new students, our daughter is worried about making friends etc. our son is into hockey and is really looking forward to the move. We will be moving in June. Any info would be greatly appreciated school and area. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2007, 07:19 PM

Thanks for all your help up there in New Hampshire it must be true how they don't accept outsiders in. Once again thanks

Old 02-09-2007, 04:55 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,174,827 times
Hi,

I don't know why people haven't responded to your note yet - maybe those who know the area you're looking at haven't been around - be patient, I'm sure someone will show up eventually........I can't answer your questions because I know nothing about the area you're talking about, but I do know the people on here and in NH for the most part do "accept outsiders" because I'm one of them

Just be patient and I'm sure someone with knowledge of the area you're looking at will show up eventually....really!

Old 02-10-2007, 02:11 PM

3 posts, read 3,828 times
I am sure they will answer you soon, as they are probaly busy with sports, schools, ect

Old 02-14-2007, 02:07 PM

562 posts, read 659,630 times
Not sure if this will help, but I have quieried the responses of people who belong to different nation wide clubs I belong to on their web sites and have gotten a few good responses to my own questions. I try to take the blanket approach. Just keep asking, and ask all over!

Old 02-14-2007, 06:09 PM

Thanks, I will post a new message.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:15 AM

205 posts, read 946,424 times
First, please don't assume that because someone hasn't answered your questions that it means that NH residents don't except outsiders. Yikes, that is kind of a blank statement! There are not many people that I have seen on this forum that could respond to your questions. That being said, I am reading this thread for the first time and live in the Exeter area and have children who have attended the middle and high schools. I have been very pleased with the schools and my kids have enjoyed attending in this school system. (They were 12 and 8 when we moved here and found friends quickly through their activities at school.)

Your question "How are the girls at Exeter High with new students?" is another blank statement that can't be answered. One would have to assume that the vast majority of all students at the school are welcoming to new students. I'm sure your daughter will connect with other girls at school and then she'll be on her way to making more friends. It can't be easy for any 16 year old girl or boy to walk into a new high school and not feel like an outsider. Since your son already has hockey and will most likely fit right in the other hockey players and have instant friends, I would suggest to your daughter to join clubs and get involved with any of the activities she does at her old school. Good luck!

Old 02-17-2007, 10:13 AM

Thanks for your reply..truly appreciate it...its scary coming to a new place and not knowing anyone not only for my children but also for myself and husband.Thanks again

Old 02-17-2007, 11:10 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,174,827 times
Gig - I can emphasize with the feeling of being scared and not knowing anyone - Although our children are grown with families of their own and we didn't have to "worry" about them, it was still scary! The best advice I can give you is to be friendly with all those you come in contact with, be yourself, don't have any "hidden agendas" and everything will fall in place for you. As I think I posted and others have posted, the people of NH are very friendly - a bit reticent until they get to know you, but once they know you are "for real", they accept you as "one of their own." At least that has been our experience. It takes time, but you and your family should be fine.

Once you are in the area - get out into the town/city and explore, explore, explore. Ask questions - be honest, say you are new to the area and people (at least in our case) will go out of their way to make you feel comfortable, answer questions, etc. You won't make "instant friendships", but in my experience, 99% of the time the "instant friendships" don't last - they develop over time.

Your children will adjust to the new school and new environment and you will be meeting people through them <g>......Kids are very resilient, even though one is a teenager and one is an "almost teen" and will probably give you some grief about the move and new school/people, etc., they will survive and most likely flourish once they find their "niche."

Again, stay positive, stay open, be friendly but not pushy and you'll do fine. When we moved here we knew absolutely no one, but over the past few months, we've met some great people and are starting to develop what I believe will be some pretty long-term friendships, but it did take time, so you need to be patient.

I hope this allays some of your fears and makes it a little less scary for you. Again, I know nothing about the Exeter area, but the town we are in and the surrounding ones have all had very good people so I'm assuming that is the case almost anywhere.....I believe you "get back" what you "project" so if you show your willingness to learn the area, the traditions, the whatever, you will get a positive response.

Old 02-18-2007, 01:22 PM

thank- you so much for your beautiful letter, we think the state is a beautiful place with the ocean mtns ect... Hopefully we get neighbors as sweet as you are and will give us a welcoming feeling. thanks again for the kind words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire