Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2008, 01:27 PM

909 posts, read 3,364,714 times

Advertisements

So yesterday the gravel man comes to measure our house before laying stone. He asks what we want it for, and when I tell him for carpenter ants, termites and fungus, he gives me a look and says he thought I just wanted it for looks. He asks if I have a termite or carpenter ant problem, and when I say no his partner says I should just use cedar shakes. At least it sounded like cedar shakes, but maybe it was cedar stakes? Anyway, 2x2 sticks of cedar, about 8 inches long. I'm supposed to push them into the soil around my house, about 18 inches from the foundation, about 6 feet apart. They started chuckling and said if I really wanted to give them my money they'd take it, but really that's all I needed to do. Apparently termites don't like cedar. I'm to change the stakes out every 2 years. They also said if I called pest control they'd do the same thing, except use tube containers. They'd simply open the containers and change the sticks every 2 years.

We've never heard of this, and because we've gotten conflicting advice on every freaking issue concerning this house, I thought why not ask the folks on C-D and see if they can confirm or rebutt this claim. Any takers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 09:48 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,068,001 times
There is a lot of "home remedy" advice out there. First, they are right that most insects don't like Cedar (one reason cedar lined closets are so popular).

However Carpenter Ants and Termites are both very tricky pests to deal with (though I know more about Carpenter ants than termites). The majority of what the companies place in the ground is actually a poisoned food that the termites take to their colony and spread around. Similar baits are used for carpenter ants (the treatment at our place is primarily Dupont Advion gel- I can eat it and it does nothing, not that I would...but when metabolized by an ant it makes their feces a potent neurotoxin to them and the other ants around). If your "pest control" company would even think to just put out cedar sticks- they would be ripping you off.

A REALLY good option is to call the agricultural extension center (usually part of UNH); they have some very knowledgeable folks on staff that can talk intelligently to almost any natural issue that could face a homeowner/landowner.

There is a lot of bad advice out there so its worth asking someone who actually has a good background in the subject.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BF66389 View Post
There is a lot of "home remedy" advice out there. First, they are right that most insects don't like Cedar (one reason cedar lined closets are so popular).

However Carpenter Ants and Termites are both very tricky pests to deal with (though I know more about Carpenter ants than termites). The majority of what the companies place in the ground is actually a poisoned food that the termites take to their colony and spread around. Similar baits are used for carpenter ants (the treatment at our place is primarily Dupont Advion gel- I can eat it and it does nothing, not that I would...but when metabolized by an ant it makes their feces a potent neurotoxin to them and the other ants around). If your "pest control" company would even think to just put out cedar sticks- they would be ripping you off.

A REALLY good option is to call the agricultural extension center (usually part of UNH); they have some very knowledgeable folks on staff that can talk intelligently to almost any natural issue that could face a homeowner/landowner.

There is a lot of bad advice out there so its worth asking someone who actually has a good background in the subject.
Thanks for the reply! Now, what is UNH?

Old 10-13-2008, 06:58 AM

452 posts, read 1,734,469 times
University of New Hampshire.....

Old 10-13-2008, 12:47 PM

I was able to find the cooperative extension of UNH, which has a family, home and garden page, and an article on safely using wood burning stoves. Wow, there is tons of info on there, and I sent them an email. Thanks for the great reference!

Old 10-13-2008, 03:54 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,141,192 times
planting onions (or scallions) and marigolds will keep the critters away from the foundation.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:17 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,068,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
I was able to find the cooperative extension of UNH, which has a family, home and garden page, and an article on safely using wood burning stoves. Wow, there is tons of info on there, and I sent them an email. Thanks for the great reference!
No problem. They always seem to be a good reference. Even if you have a wooded property and want to know the best way to manage it they will usually provide advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire