Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 08:40 AM

885 posts, read 2,651,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by proud American View Post
what on earth does most kids know at 18 and have just left high school
At 18 they know enough to be allowed to pick up a rifle and defend this country. If they can fight for us, they can vote with us.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:36 AM

311 posts, read 981,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcewan View Post
At 18 they know enough to be allowed to pick up a rifle and defend this country. If they can fight for us, they can vote with us.
Good point. I hardly dare enter this discussion because I may not be able to express myself as eloquently as some on here. BUT, who's to say if someone is smart enough, educated enough, experienced enough (let the list go on and on) to vote. It's a basic right that every American has and whether we think someone's capable enough (which really means whether we think someone's capable enough to see MY way) to vote intelligently, they have the right to do so.

I can tell you for certain that when my son was 18 years old, he was better read and informed about political candidates than I'd ever been in my nearly half century on this earth.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:10 PM

92 posts, read 241,483 times
NH girl
you always make sense and good posts.
Your child knew this because you did a great job as a mother, well done.
I'd give you a rep if I could

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcewan View Post
and yet they cannot drink

thank you for saying what I wanted to say and you never knew it, have you a crystal ball?
I can only go on what I have seen and what i have experienced but when they have been through training yes

You're from England right? out of curiosity.

I joined the military, I was as everyone else a kid who had a chip on my shoulder and thought I knew everything.
We got off that train and thought no probs, the the sarge came up and EEK .

It was the military who made me see straight, it was the military what made me grow up and it was the military what made me act more maturely

Until those kids and not all but many get in the military and finish training then they are for the most part a kid who has no idea about responsibility and do not know much about life.
Notice I said not all as NH girl did a great job

BY the time at 21 I had travelled, seen thing and done things most people will have never done in their life time.
Others were just finishing school a the same time along with doing their parades , demo's etc.

So if any exception is to be made to that rule it is for military men and women who have been through training and know what responsibility is.

for the most part I have met students at 21 and even 27 who think they know much , go on their demo's, but have no idea what they are on about .

Now I also mentioned a draconian measure of taking 5 questions and have had to have paid tax. Mostly in jest.
Asking 5 questions would at least have people know what they are voting for.
Course not sure who or what party would not want it

As we are on about our service men and women then I have to say this

God bless them past and present

Old 09-30-2008, 06:08 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,535,221 times
I could both vote and drink, at age 18, when I went into the military. It was not too bad because I was raised by a drunken Irishman which made the normal military absurdities a break from home life. A major effect of 'Nam was I sobered up because a hangover made me slow and, where I was, slow could make you dead.

I think NH is a RED state, becoming purple, because the Manchester paper has been loosing its effect. It has always been extreme right wing propaganda that, since the death of the publishers, has been becoming a tiny bit less fanatically right wing. It has also been loosing readers to the Boston and northern Massachusetts papers. The same can be said about the TV viewers.

The Boston media can afford better shows and gets more viewers. The editorial stances of the Boston media are also much more realistic and, thankfully, more liberal.

As a veteran I thank you for your blessings but what our wounded Veteran's really need is more understanding and a lot more money on medical facilities and personnel. I am not asking for myself. I know what happened to my mind and am living with it fairly well.

Sending a person to war and not taking responsibility for the damages done to his body and mind is completely irresponsible. We know who consistently votes against any help for veterans. Changing this is a good reason to shift to the blue end of the spectrum.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:46 PM

641 posts, read 2,363,571 times
If you can fight for your country at 18 and vote at 18, then why can't you have a beer at 18?

Old 09-30-2008, 03:37 PM

49 posts, read 132,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal rooster View Post
If you can fight for your country at 18 and vote at 18, then why can't you have a beer at 18?
It would make you a sloppy fighter and a stupid voter.

Though I know an awful lot of drunks who vote. What is an unemployed drunk to do besides push for universal healthcare. Livers ain't cheap.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:30 PM

641 posts, read 2,363,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguyrighthere View Post
Though I know an awful lot of drunks who vote. What is an unemployed drunk to do besides push for universal healthcare. Livers ain't cheap.
Ha, ain't that the truth? My liver's got some miles on it, but it's got many good years left in it.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:28 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,825,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal rooster View Post
We had that when I was young. Too many young people died while driving drunk....

Old 10-02-2008, 07:48 AM

311 posts, read 981,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
We had that when I was young. Too many young people died while driving drunk....
Seems to me too many people are still dying due to drunk driving - young & old. Education and enforcement are the key to ending death by drunks.

I, too, came of age when the drinking age was 18...and I support lowering the drinking age to 18 again. If my son can be sent off to Iraq and other war-torn countries and chance getting killed or injured, then he should certainly have the right to responsibly imbibe in an alcoholic beverage if he so desires. If we can trust 'em with a gun, then you'd think we can trust 'em with a beer.

My 2 cents...and BTW, I'm the mom of two teenagers.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:57 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,287,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhampshiregirl View Post
Seems to me too many people are still dying due to drunk driving - young & old. Education and enforcement are the key to ending death by drunks.

I, too, came of age when the drinking age was 18...and I support lowering the drinking age to 18 again. If my son can be sent off to Iraq and other war-torn countries and chance getting killed or injured, then he should certainly have the right to responsibly imbibe in an alcoholic beverage if he so desires. If we can trust 'em with a gun, then you'd think we can trust 'em with a beer.
My 2 cents...and BTW, I'm the mom of two teenagers.
Absolutely- I feel the same way.

Nicolem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire