Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 12:39 PM

26 posts, read 79,455 times

Advertisements

After a New England vacation last week, my husband and I are even more interested in moving to New Hampshire!

We prefer not commuting to Boston but it's worth a thought as we'd have the chance to transfer. What public transportation if any is available between New Hampshire and Boston? Is it worth the trek?

Also, on the job front, what larger New Hampshire corporations are looking good these days?

Thank you ahead of time,

Debra
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 06:06 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,733 times
You may want to checkout the middle ground- neither in NH or Boston. My wife and I both work in Bedford, MA. It's about a 30 mile drive from our home in Hollis NH (awesome town) and takes about 30 minutes (semi-frequently) to an hour (rarely).

There are a variety of companies ranging from defense contractors/technology firms to the financial sector. Some in NH and some within what I consider a reasonable commute.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:07 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,733 times
Oh- as for getting into Boston. I made it from our home (Hollis) to Logan Airport in an hour; leaving at 6am. I know that's early- but at least it gives you a starting point.

As for commuting at more on hours- there are buses from Nashua as well as a commuter rail line from Lowell.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:57 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
We are working on extending the commuter rail to Nashua. There is also bus service from Londonderry to downtown Boston.

FWIW - working in Boston will nearly double your take home. It seems worth the annoyance of commuting.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:21 PM

Senior Members, thank you very much for your replies - you offer great information that opens my mind to possibilities.

From the quiet response to this thread and from reading city-data, I get the idea that many New Hampshire folks aren't happy about the commuting idea. I can understand that, believe me - I'm no fan of Boston's liberal high tax mentality, either. But it's important for me to keep my options open in planning for a big move like this, from Chicago.

Thank you again!

Old 09-19-2008, 01:38 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
I lived in Derry and commuted to Boston for over 30 years. it used to be a 45 minute ride...

just before I retired, the commute had extended to 1 hour + due to the amount of increased traffic and more commuters than ever.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:17 PM

Thank you Buck Naked. I figured the drive wouldn't be easy. Wish there was a nice train ride back and forth.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:24 PM

63 posts, read 132,551 times
If you're looking on the Seacoast side of the state, there is a train. You can take the Downeaster into Boston from Dover or Durham.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:42 AM

Wow, that's great information to have! Thank you!

Old 09-24-2008, 06:52 PM

28 posts, read 76,078 times
Default relocating to bedford nh

Hi:

I moved from Massachusetts to NH about 8 years ago and I love it here, that is my personal opinion. My husband commutes to Boston from Bedford, NH and he doesn't seem to mind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcsherlock View Post
After a New England vacation last week, my husband and I are even more interested in moving to New Hampshire!

We prefer not commuting to Boston but it's worth a thought as we'd have the chance to transfer. What public transportation if any is available between New Hampshire and Boston? Is it worth the trek?

Also, on the job front, what larger New Hampshire corporations are looking good these days?

Thank you ahead of time,

Debra

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-25-2008 at 06:07 AM.. Reason: no advertising, please
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire