Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 05:11 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,174,827 times

Advertisements

For those new to NH, especially northern NH, or will be driving through the area in the next few weeks - the moose are on the move in search of mates, so be careful when driving....below is a link to the WMUR site and one of our local radio stations has been saying I-93 just below Littleton is extremely active right now....

Drivers Warned: Moose On The Move - New Hampshire News Story - WMUR Manchester (http://www.wmur.com/news/17502114/detail.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 06:31 AM

311 posts, read 994,122 times
Yeah, I saw a car met a moose on Rt. 49 off Exit 28 I-93 earlier this week. Poor things (vehicle occupants AND moose).

Old 09-19-2008, 07:44 AM

My stepson met a moose up close and personal maybe 3-4 years ago...he was fine, the moose was fine, but his truck was totaled. He was EXTREMELY lucky....as was the moose

Old 09-19-2008, 11:58 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
wow! glad he's ok. I'd hear most encounters don't end so well (for anyone). Mythbusters did something relating to moose accidents (whatever it was, the myth was busted) - it was pretty scary how crumpled the top of the car was when it hit the moose subsitute! hard to believe anyone could walk away from anything like that.

Old 09-19-2008, 01:17 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,064,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
wow! glad he's ok. I'd hear most encounters don't end so well (for anyone). Mythbusters did something relating to moose accidents (whatever it was, the myth was busted) - it was pretty scary how crumpled the top of the car was when it hit the moose subsitute! hard to believe anyone could walk away from anything like that.
I think they tested the "myth" that if you are in a small enough car and accelerate instead of brake for a Moose that you will take out its legs and pass through the other side before it falls on the car. Obviously it doesn't work that way...

Old 09-19-2008, 04:15 PM

264 posts, read 616,563 times
Great info Dare! 15 days to go and I will be dodging Moose and hopefully running into a lot of leaves!

Captjob

Old 09-19-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjob View Post
Great info Dare! 15 days to go and I will be dodging Moose and hopefully running into a lot of leaves!

Captjob
Just be vigilent when driving - if you'll be on 302 at all, you may actually see some "moose tour buses" along the road Some of the trees are turning up here now.....last night we were somewhere in the high 20-low 30 degree range, so make sure you bring warm clothes!

Old 09-20-2008, 12:59 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,841,325 times
Appreciate the information and cautions. My wife and I are going to NH next week and are looking forward to driving north to "Moose Alley," in addition to spending time in the White Mountains.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:41 PM

311 posts, read 994,122 times
Here's another word of caution. If you're going to stop your car to look at the moose in or near the road....PLEASE pull your car off the road! I was driving out of Waterville Valley one night this summer and saw taillights a couple of miles in front of me. The lights disappeared as I went downhill and as I came up over a little hill BANG (well, almost) the darn car had stopped right in the middle of the road because a moose was crossing the road. OK, in a case like this, maybe you don't pull off the road, but please put on your hazard flashers!

Another word of caution. If there's a moose on the side of the road, don't park your car, get out and try to get up close and personal! They may be big stupid animals, but they may charge or chase you! A friend of mine was out jogging and was chased by a moose. We were driving along Rt. 115 one time and saw a moose on the side of the road. He charged our car and I had to speed away to avoid being hit by the moose

Old 09-20-2008, 09:00 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
Excellent advice! I've also heard that one shouldn't honk the car horn either. Patience is a virtue -I'm told
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire