Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 03:56 PM

6 posts, read 22,060 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be retiring next year and we are looking to live in southern or central NH that would have both low humidity and low property taxes and houses in the $150,000. range. If you could so kind as to name specific cities, it would be great. We are not much into winter sports, or the “longer” winters of the mountain area.
Thanx, Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 04:08 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelebob View Post
My wife and I will be retiring next year and we are looking to live in southern or central NH that would have both low humidity and low property taxes and houses in the $150,000. range. If you could so kind as to name specific cities, it would be great. We are not much into winter sports, or the “longer” winters of the mountain area.
Thanx, Bob
If you don't mind being a little more isolated Carroll County has many low tax towns. Wakefield is a solid choice because it is a growing town of around 4,500 with a great variety of housing stock to choose from in all price ranges. This region of NH is a growing area, but retains all of its small town charm along with good lakes.

Old 09-20-2008, 06:25 PM

91 posts, read 307,757 times
Just as a side note, Carroll County would probably fall into the "longer winter" catagory as we are in the mountains.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMishy View Post
Just as a side note, Carroll County would probably fall into the "longer winter" catagory as we are in the mountains.
Carroll County is fairly large. The southern portions of the county are all in the Lakes Region which is less cold compared to the Mount Washington Valley. (Laconia often records milder overnight temperatures than Concord. The surrounding lakes tend to slightly moderate the local climate).

To the OP: Most areas of NH will have higher humidity levels. However, the humidity is nothing like most areas further south. The "mildest" climate in the state is in the Seacoast region, which is the southeastern 1/2 of Rockingham County. (This is in the USDA plant hardiness zone 5/6 which means the coldest temps you would see in the winter would be around the -10 to -15F range at the worst. The further you go away from the coast the colder the temperatures get at night. The Manchester urban area has a warmer micro-climate and records temperatures about as mild as the Seacoast!

Old 09-20-2008, 09:15 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
hmmm... Wilton? Mont Vernon?

You may have to do a bit of 'leg work'. You can download a pdf of last years tax rates for all towns in NH at NH Department of Revenue Administration - Divisions - Municipal Services (http://www.nh.gov/revenue/munc_prop/municipalservices.htm - broken link)

Verseau created a wonderful thread that has shifted down a bit: it has all sorts of maps showing major roads, school districts, population density.. the school district map and another that I posted a few down show each town. The thread is at //www.city-data.com/forum/new-h...geography.html

This way, you can print out the tax rate, highlight the ones that are within cost range, and then look on the map for where the town is located.

and you can get an idea of housing costs by going to NNERENNorthern New England Real Estate Network - Official Website of the Northern New England MLS and checking out the towns you're thinking about.

But a word of warning: that doesn't always tell the whole story (sometimes everything is low because there are no jobs in the area, or taxes may be low but appraisals really high), so choose your first tier of towns and then check back. This just helps you narrow things down from the entire state.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:02 AM

91 posts, read 307,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
The southern portions of the county are all in the Lakes Region which is less cold compared to the Mount Washington Valley. (Laconia often records milder overnight temperatures than Concord. The surrounding lakes tend to slightly moderate the local climate).
Laconia is in Belknap County.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMishy View Post
Laconia is in Belknap County.
Unforunately, I had to use Laconia because it is the only automated weather station in the Lakes Region that shows up on the NWS page. The closest weather station for Carroll County on the NWS site is Fryeburg, ME.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:06 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,135,202 times
Quote:
Thanx, Bob

that's a tough one - to get a home in that range with low property taxes puts you in the isolated northern part of the state where longer winters are the norm...

good luck in your search - maybe you could find a duplex or a condo in Manchester or south of there

Old 09-23-2008, 05:00 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
If ya are bringin' ya own income just about anywhar in Na Hampsha is good. Cold wintas but good. If ya tryn' ta make livin' anwhar but south o' Concord good luck ta ya.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:58 AM

6 posts, read 22,060 times
Default Amateur weather or climate techs wanted

Quote:
Thanx, Bob

The humidity factor is really important to me! That is one reason I'm moving out of central NY. We are in the Mohawk Valley and near Lake Ontario. I don't know if somewhere that is located at a higher elevation would be the answer ---since I figure it may be more breezy more often. I still would not consider moving to the mountains of NH but there must be somewhere that would feel cooler in the summer????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire