U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 10:31 AM

32 posts, read 167,735 times

Advertisements

Hi there - relocating to NH or VT. Looking at houses from North to South in both States! Fiance is out there now ( we currently live in Colorado) and just checked out a great house in Whitefield.

Could anybody advise me on the towns to check out that are a bit more on the liberal side? Liberal isn't the best word, can't think of the best word, but folks that tend towards being more spiritual as opposed to religious, open-minded, into organic food & health, etc. and where you're not considered weird if you're into yoga, meditation, etc. We also love good food and wine, so within 20 mins or so of non-chain good restaurants (not family diners) would be a plus.

We are looking for property that's in a rural area with acreage (have horse & donkey and want to start a greenhouse business) but not in the boonies. My fiance is a carpenter and will need to find work so any thoughts on that appreciated too. How much would a reliable and efficient carpenter with all his own tools make, approx., per hour?

Many thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 11:37 AM

90 posts, read 262,947 times
Definately go to Vermont then, they are way more liberal there then in NH.

Old 02-09-2007, 12:04 PM

3,042 posts, read 8,448,877 times
definitely go to Vermont if you want liberal, or very liberal for that matter(bennington, brattleboro, middlebury, montpelier, burlington)

Old 02-09-2007, 12:34 PM

3,423 posts, read 9,475,938 times
You are definately describing Vermont. However, if you want NH, check into the Hanover area. It's on the NH/VT border and home to Dartmouth College. On the Vermont side I like Thetford.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:21 PM

3,712 posts, read 10,353,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopyLou View Post
Hi there - relocating to NH or VT. Looking at houses from North to South in both States! Fiance is out there now ( we currently live in Colorado) and just checked out a great house in Whitefield.

Could anybody advise me on the towns to check out that are a bit more on the liberal side? Liberal isn't the best word, can't think of the best word, but folks that tend towards being more spiritual as opposed to religious, open-minded, into organic food & health, etc. and where you're not considered weird if you're into yoga, meditation, etc. We also love good food and wine, so within 20 mins or so of non-chain good restaurants (not family diners) would be a plus.

We are looking for property that's in a rural area with acreage (have horse & donkey and want to start a greenhouse business) but not in the boonies. My fiance is a carpenter and will need to find work so any thoughts on that appreciated too. How much would a reliable and efficient carpenter with all his own tools make, approx., per hour?

Many thanks!
Too funny! My first thought before I read any responses, was .. Vermont! sounds unanimous .

Can't help with most of those questions, you may not be able to find all of that together. You might try around Putney, though (it's on the east side, off the main highway, north of Brattleboro)

Old 02-09-2007, 11:24 PM

5,698 posts, read 8,408,082 times
Peterborough. Surely there are others. It's a nice funky little town, 5000 souls, river runs through it, I have a very liberal relative there.
High taxes, but that goes with New England I fear.

Old 02-10-2007, 08:39 AM

Wow you guys - really?! Its not that Vermont just has that reputation? Or is it that they have that reputation for good reason! Is NH really that conservative? I've been to Hanover and love it but its definitely more pricey.

Another quick question if you don't mind: we've found a good property in Warren, NH. Is that close to anywhere? Any other comments welcomed.

Old 02-10-2007, 08:51 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,319,933 times
Any place in the Keene area or the Portsmith area will work for you. However you would be much happier in VT. NH really tends to frown on Liberals. Even the Keene area is not spoken of kindly usually. Although I personally like Peterbourough and the little towns in that area. And the only positive you hear of Hanover is the hospital. Aside from that most in NH dislike these areas and the ppl that live there. Often refered to the Hippies or liberals, Or the tax and spend border crowd. They are called names like wingnut, frootloop, and crunchies as well. But you get the point. They are very nice ppl just not very appreciated here in NH. You would be far better off in VT. Not everyone in NH refers to these areas as such, but it has been My exsperiance that for they most part they do. If I was you I would check out Brattleboro VT, it is right by Keene NH. Check out www.nneren.com and it has a map of the towns in the area's around Keene and Brattleboro, just click on the state, than the county and it breaks it into town. I hope this helps you.

Old 02-10-2007, 09:38 AM

That is fascinating! Well I guess I'm a crunchie! I'm from England originally and even there they are open to organic food, yoga, and the possibility that you won't burn in hell if you don't profess Jesus as your saviour.

Thanks for your feedback - definitely something for me to mull over today.

Kind regards,
Lou

Old 02-10-2007, 10:18 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,319,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopyLou View Post
That is fascinating! Well I guess I'm a crunchie! I'm from England originally and even there they are open to organic food, yoga, and the possibility that you won't burn in hell if you don't profess Jesus as your saviour.

Thanks for your feedback - definitely something for me to mull over today.

Kind regards,
Lou
2 things 1 I beleive Warren to be between Hanover and Littleton.
So yes there are things in the area. Just not what you are looking for. But the 2nd thing is you touched on Religion here ^ . Nh isn't a bible belt type conservative state AT ALL. We are a old Conservative state. We STRONGLY beleive in LOW TAXES, LESS GOVERMENT, and NO HANDOUTS. Everyone here has there own beleif on God. but your personal isn't inportant here. Frankly we don't care even if your a none beleiver. We do however Hate tax and spend. We would rather the goverment deal with what they have than give more. and vote that way as well. We are more Libertarian than Conservative in Views. But it is a strong View Here. Handouts are far and few between and welfare (TAX BURDEN )towns are incouraged to leave the state. LOL. None of them have a few have tried. With encouragement. We don't like wasting money. If it is needed you better find a place besides our pockets to get it. Need a cop CUt the welfare budget. Need more welfare money tough. Elderly get help as they deserve it. Paid taxes all there life they need help it is there. But the young will get limited help as we wont support them. Help yes support NO. Thios is the mentality of NH ppl in genral. But to call NH bible thumping per say, well that isn't accurate at all. If realigon plays a roll in your thoughts it shouldn't both NH and VT have the same Views in this 1 area. Almost exsclusivly this 1 area. LOL but this they do share. Well that and besides opposites in politics and train of thought, If you look at a map and flip over VT or NH they fit on top of each other just opposite on map as well. LOL So see it isn't just the ppl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire