Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 07:46 PM

680 posts, read 2,439,670 times

Advertisements

Hi, we're here, we love it and we're browsing real estate. I have a question about septic systems (I did read the threads in the archives but they didn't answer this particular question.) One of the houses I saw has a dry well system rather than regular septic. The solids go into one tank, the grey water goes into holding tanks to get pumped out rather than into a leach field. So we're thinking for our family (owner is an individual) we'd need to have a proper leach field installed.

- How much land do you need to have a septic system with leach field AND a private well 100 feet away? The plot is exactly one acre which is supposedly the minimum for the septic alone - but we'd also need a private well.

- Also, is it safe to garden above the leach field and eat the fruit and veggies that grow there?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 05:34 AM

Also, is this dry well system considered safe/adequate? Would it even be necessary to update?

Old 10-05-2008, 07:14 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
Hi NH2008,
I have no info for you, but just letting you know: I think CometVoyager is a hydrologist and Jthibodeau is a housing inspector. So they would probably have the best info for you. I think we're probably all waiting for one of them to chime in!

(didn't want you to think you were being ignored)

Old 10-05-2008, 12:31 PM

Thanks! The whole thing has been a whirlwind and of all the issues I thought might come up with finding a house, this wasn't one of them!

Old 10-05-2008, 08:30 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,064,634 times
It might not be a bad idea to call 3 different septic system designers (phone book) and run the question by them. I'd call 3 different ones because 1-2 might just be looking for more business.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:21 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
Just be sure that the septic company is familiar get familiar with what the town code is for septic. Many times, a system will be grandfathered in until it fails, then needs to be brought up to current code.

Also, while it's tempting to grow fruits and veggies over the leach bed, I wouldn't recommend it. You would never want to grow any root veggies there, and leafy greens would be suspect for contamination (from rain-spash, etc). In addition, it's the opinion of my favorite septic guy that the grass and root system assists in the taking up of water and soil stability. I'd be interested to hear JThibodeau and Comet's thoughts on the subject

Old 10-06-2008, 06:21 AM

452 posts, read 1,732,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2008 View Post
One of the houses I saw has a dry well system rather than regular septic. The solids go into one tank, the grey water goes into holding tanks to get pumped out rather than into a leach field. So we're thinking for our family (owner is an individual) we'd need to have a proper leach field installed.

- How much land do you need to have a septic system with leach field AND a private well 100 feet away? The plot is exactly one acre which is supposedly the minimum for the septic alone - but we'd also need a private well.

- Also, is it safe to garden above the leach field and eat the fruit and veggies that grow there?

Thanks!
It sounds as if your looking into an older home or one that is near a water source such as a lake or pond. The older style system may allow water to permeate the soils where one near a water body is simply a "Holding System" that will require periodic pumping when the system is full.

If it's an older system, it may be able to be nursed along until failure. At that point, a state approved septic system will be needed to replace it.

The state has set guidelines for minimum safe distances between the well and the septic system. The town that the building resides in may have more stringent requirements and have distances further then the 100 feet you previously mentioned. Check with the local building inspector or building department for that town's requirements.

As far as planting over a leach bed, Don't plant trees or other bushes over the septic area. Roots have a tendency to grow towards a water supply and can, eventually, clog the piping of the system. And, a vegetable garden planted over the leach bed area may not be the best idea. The possibility of contamination exist, as Val has mentioned. However, sometimes this area is the only viable sunny spot on the lot. If this may be the case, consider planting in large raised containers to avoid direct contact with the natural soils or back slash from rain water.

Hope this helps....

Old 10-06-2008, 10:45 AM

472 posts, read 1,709,500 times
If the property is too small to handle a complete replacement with a modern septic system and a new well, with the correct distances in between, then I would pass. Let's say the system fails and the town won't grant you an exception or variance, you'd be out of luck, or in for an expensive legal fight. So not worth it.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:52 PM

Thank you for the good advice. Scone, that's exactly what I was thinking. I talked to the septic company today and they referred me to an inspector. I guess the dry well system is an older system but can work ok. We're going to put a contingency in any offer that the septic has to pass inspection AND be up to code for a family of 4. The office thought there would be enough land for a well & septic.

re the gardens...yuck! My parents have this big beautiful garden growing right over the leach field...never really thought about it before but I will never look at it the same way again!

Old 10-07-2008, 07:00 AM

452 posts, read 1,732,150 times
Quote:
We're going to put a contingency in any offer that the septic has to pass inspection AND be up to code for a family of 4.
I would also include a contingency concerning a water quality test as well. A home inspection goes without saying.

Quote:
The office thought there would be enough land for a well & septic.
I'm assuming your speaking of the "Real Estate" office. No offense to any of our resident Real Estate Agents on our board but, not all Real Estate Agents or Brokers are up on their knowledge of all local building codes due to variations from town to town. Please do your homework before your purchase by contacting the local building department to determine your actual requirements.

Quote:
re the gardens...yuck! My parents have this big beautiful garden growing right over the leach field...never really thought about it before but I will never look at it the same way again!
In all truth, I wouldn't be overly concerned about your parents garden. The professional in me wants to say never do this because the possibility of contamination exist. However, my nearly sensible side says there really shouldn't be a problem unless the leach field is in or near failure. If such were the case, then you may not want your children to play over the system due to the contamination possibilities also.

Granted, I'm no scientist and, never stayed at a Holiday inn either so, I'll get off my soap box and allow those in the know to fill in the blanks.

Everyone have a great and colorful day.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire