Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

New Hampshire native concerned about too many progressive ideas in state, too many transplants trying to change culture of the state, progressive ideas endangering NH

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 01:28 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,619,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
ridiculously high rent prices for living out in the middle of nowhere
The natural beauty is a key reason, since people who can afford to buy first or even second homes in those remote areas, thus driving up prices in relation to the local employment economy. The advantage comes hand in hand with the disadvantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 01:35 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,543,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
Those that do not work do have complete freedom..they have the freedom not to eat

And understand this has nothing to do with those who cannot work, there is a difference betwixt the two

Old 05-15-2015, 08:20 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
long, freezing, heavily snowed winters, cliquish borderline cold people socially speaking, ridiculously high rent prices for living out in the middle of nowhere, cars under carriages rust out, tough to pass car inspections, property taxes are ridiculous, no property exemptions for service connected veterans unless they are a double amputee or blind in both eyes........yea, .....a real veteran friendly state,.....my tush. NH has only two things going for it,......the beauty of the state, and the low population levels.....and that is it in my opinion. I like NH, but retiring there, imo, makes zero sense......unless one has a large income. just my opinion and view.
Being a veteran means that you've served your COUNTRY.. and thank you for that. But why should NH as a state give veterans a discount on their property taxes? If the federal government wants to pay a portion of a veteran's property taxes, so be it, just as the federal government supports the VA hospital network. However, NH as a state and their towns can't afford to give veterans a pass on their tax burden.

High rents are due to the property owners having high property taxes. The money to run NH and support public education and maintain our roadways has to come from somewhere.

And yes, our climate is particularly challenging in the wintertime, so again, why should NH give handouts to those who can't afford to heat their homes? Instead, just visit NH in the warm months and stay south in the winter. And keep your cars south too if you can't handle the road salt eating away at them.

Anyway, traditionally being a New Englander has never been a bed of roses. We are constantly striving to survive by living frugally, working hard, planning ahead and using common sense. If you didn't save a nest egg to retire on and/or want to loaf around into your old age, do so in a warmer climate. Go find a beach in Mexico and pitch a tent nearby. And btw being a veteran doesn't give you a magic pass for the rest of your life in the US. I know and respect many veterans of all ages who are hard working productive people. And they benefited from the higher skills they learned while in the military and are thankful for that. And being in the military was their only chance to get out of their small towns where they didn't excel in high school at the time.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:43 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,724,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Being a veteran means that you've served your COUNTRY.. and thank you for that. But why should NH as a state give veterans a discount on their property taxes? If the federal government wants to pay a portion of a veteran's property taxes, so be it, just as the federal government supports the VA hospital network. However, NH as a state and their towns can't afford to give veterans a pass on their tax burden.

High rents are due to the property owners having high property taxes. The money to run NH and support public education and maintain our roadways has to come from somewhere.

And yes, our climate is particularly challenging in the wintertime, so again, why should NH give handouts to those who can't afford to heat their homes? Instead, just visit NH in the warm months and stay south in the winter. And keep your cars south too if you can't handle the road salt eating away at them.

Anyway, traditionally being a New Englander has never been a bed of roses. We are constantly striving to survive by living frugally, working hard, planning ahead and using common sense. If you didn't save a nest egg to retire on and/or want to loaf around into your old age, do so in a warmer climate. Go find a beach in Mexico and pitch a tent nearby. And btw being a veteran doesn't give you a magic pass for the rest of your life in the US. I know and respect many veterans of all ages who are hard working productive people. And they benefited from the higher skills they learned while in the military and are thankful for that. And being in the military was their only chance to get out of their small towns where they didn't excel in high school at the time.

I think my mother gets a break in Londonderry on her property taxes because my father was in the AF. I for one am for that and especially with my SO being an AF Col.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:03 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,543,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

sometimes I almost like you

Old 05-15-2015, 03:34 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,186,882 times
It is funny now the majority of the states in America give very substantial property tax breaks to service connected veterans yet New England is one of the few regions of the United States that gives hardly any property tax breaks at all to service connected disabled veterans.....,.... the little bit that gives is not even worth applying for at the assessor's office. just my opinion and view on the matter.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 05-15-2015 at 03:50 PM..

Old 05-15-2015, 10:57 PM
miu

Quote:
It is funny now the majority of the states in America give very substantial property tax breaks to service connected veterans yet New England is one of the few regions of the United States that gives hardly any property tax breaks at all to service connected disabled veterans.....,.... the little bit that gives is not even worth applying for at the assessor's office. just my opinion and view on the matter.
But it's not funny. Consider that out of all the states, NH is quite tiny in land mass and also very rural... which means that we don't have the density of working population to spread around the tax burden. I love NH for being so devoid of crowds, but the downside is that it means fewer working people=higher taxes to pay. So no, we can't afford to give big property tax discounts to military veterans nor support large amounts of welfare/Section 8 recipients. We're talking very simple math concepts here.

On the other hand, MA has a huge population of people living in the Metro Boston area and many successful big businesses... and that translates into more better paying jobs and being able to be more generous to those in need.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:42 AM

2,919 posts, read 3,186,882 times
It may very well be true, as NH has I believe around 1.3 million residents. South Dakota has only 850,000 residents, no income tax, and still manages to give service connected veterans a $100,000 dollar off the asessed value of a home property tax exemption. it is what it is. Just my opinion and my view on the matter.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 05-16-2015 at 02:24 AM..

Old 05-16-2015, 05:51 AM
miu

Quote:
It may very well be true, as NH has I believe around 1.3 million residents. South Dakota has only 850,000 residents, no income tax, and still manages to give service connected veterans a $100,000 dollar off the asessed value of a home property tax exemption. it is what it is. Just my opinion and my view on the matter.
Nice! Well move to South Dakota then. And I will also highly recommend that move to anyone I meet who is a veteran. Thanks for that great information.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:05 AM

384 posts, read 398,373 times
Being a Navy veteran I don't see why my past service should qualify me for a break on my home property taxes or any other perks for that matter. If there was something fine, but I have no issue being treated the same as any other resident. There are no breaks for police officers or firefighters, which are also dangerous jobs. If anything, I'd rather see breaks given to the elderly than those of us capable of paying our own way.

Lou
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire