Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 02:12 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,956,258 times

Advertisements

Does anyone ever worry about the Yankee Power Plant leaking or having a problem? I noticed on a site, they were telling people to evacuate twards Keene. Is Keene in the direction of radation or fumes or whatever comes out of the nuclear power plant? I also was told that they are going to be shutting that plant down. Is this true? The thought of living really close to one of those plants is kinda scarey to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 01:36 PM

587 posts, read 1,624,885 times
I see there haven't been any replies to this, but I have the same question. Thinking about moving to Keene and this is a bit of a concern. Thanks for any info!

Old 10-21-2008, 01:53 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,136,422 times
because the air normally flows west to east - yes, the air flow goes directly to the Keene area. Yankee is only 20 miles away.

Rowe Yankee in MA was closed and Ct. Yankee was also closed, I think...I may have to double check.

Entergy says Vermont doesn't dare kill them, because they can't afford the funeral

Old 10-21-2008, 01:56 PM

also wanted to mention that VT Yankee is scheduled to close in 2012, but the plant will remain in operation for 20 years beyond the closing date.

Vermont Yankee, evacuation plans, & more

Old 10-21-2008, 02:23 PM

587 posts, read 1,624,885 times
Thanks buck. Do you live in the area? If so, is safety a concern for you and your neighbors or do you feel like the plant is safely run? I have read about some of the safety concerns, but not being a scientist, i don't want to assume to know the level of concern required.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:40 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,196,641 times
Talking Great thread & posts! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
also wanted to mention that VT Yankee is scheduled to close in 2012, but the plant will remain in operation for 20 years beyond the closing date.

Vermont Yankee, evacuation plans, & more

Thank you so much BUCK!

I truly appreciate the LINK & posts! Great info!

Take care!

Last edited by countrylv22; 10-21-2008 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: HAPPY FALL!:0) SMILE & WE WILL SMILE WITH YOU! :0)

Old 10-21-2008, 03:07 PM

105 posts, read 357,818 times
Well, I've lived in this area my entire life and actually worked for a subcontractor down at VY when I was in my early 20's (ages ago) during one of their shut-downs. So do I worry daily about VY? No, I go on with my life, but it could be a case of "out of sight, out of mind" Years ago we looked at a house for sale in Hinsdale NH right across the river from VY. It was ugly to look at and you could hear them on the outdoor loudspeaker all the time and it's always brightly lit at night. I'm sure I would have thought about it daily if we bought that home, but again it could work out the same as not hearing the highway or the train near your home, you get used to it and block it out.

I think I have a greater chance of dying trying to get out onto Route 9 from the road I live on.

The primary evacuation reception area is Bellows Falls, VT then Greenfield, MA and then Keene. Keene is outside the 10 mile Emergency Planning Zone(EPZ). Those zones are regulated by the NRC and FEMA.
The VY EPZ is Brattleboro, Dummerston, Guilford, Halifax, Marlboro and Vernon.

Neighboring states have towns in the EPZ as well. Those towns are Bernardston, Colrain, Gill, Greenfield, Leyden, Northfield and Warwick in Massachusetts. The towns of Chesterfield, Hinsdale, Richmond, Winchester and the Westport section of Swanzey are New Hampshire towns in the EPZ.

The plant is shutting down now to refuel for another 18 months. This bring a lot of business into the area due to the workers that travel from plant to plant. Does this make it better? Hard for me to say or judge. Lots of area people are employed at the plant in Vernon and their office on Old Ferry Rd in Bratt.

Oh yeah, there's a nuke plant on the NH seacost in Seabrook too and their EPZ includes 17 New Hampshire towns, all in Rockingham County: Brentwood, East Kingston, Exeter, Greenland, Hampton, Hampton Falls, Kensington, Kingston, New Castle, Newfields, Newton, North Hampton, Portsmouth and Rye. There are also six Massachusetts towns in the Seabrook EPZ.

I do think that VY won't be shutting down any time soon though.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:57 PM

205 posts, read 946,582 times
For the past 9 years, I have live 8 miles from the Seabrook plant. The total amount of time I have worried about living so close to it would be about 30 seconds. There will be a siren test this Saturday. Most residents of the seacoast will say, "oh yeah, that Seabrook siren thing is happening today. So that is what the siren sounds like."

Old 10-21-2008, 05:50 PM

I have no fear of the nuclears, worked in the industry - I would be more concerned with coal burning plants such as the one in Bow.

I like Vt's hydro-electric plants.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:49 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,065,346 times
I'm not too worried about nuclear power plants. I might keep some of the appropriate iodine tablets around and pay more attention to having a real evacuation plan but that's about it. Honestly that's a good thing to have anywhere.

I'd be a lot more worried about the long term affects of high voltage power lines and coal plant emissions...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire