Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 04:30 PM

16 posts, read 39,917 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are considering a move to Keene, NH in a couple of years from Texas. We really love New England and are looking for a gay friendly semi small town with good schools and alot of nature. Is this the town for us? Thanks!

Old 10-13-2008, 04:48 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,064,282 times
I've only been in town twice but it seems like one of the more artsy/collegiate towns in the area and gave more of an "open to whatever" feel than many others. There was a variety of different folks with a variety of different interests. But again- that's only my take after 2 visits for a day.

NH has plenty of nature anywhere and many good school districts so that won't be an issue.

There is a "Take Back Keene" movement or something because some folks are angry over hippies and liberals or whatever...but I can't really imagine that gaining too much traction; too many believers of "live and let live". My guess is the whole concept of "Take Back Keene" probably stemmed from the pendulum swinging too far one way or another from the NH preferred "neutral".

In short- visit. It's a great town, if you like it- stay

Old 10-15-2008, 09:47 PM

105 posts, read 208,820 times
I would say that Brattleboro or Burlington VT, or Portland ME would be far better choices if you want to be in northern NE---Northampton MA in Massachusetts, than Keene. Not to say that Keene isn't a nice place--it is--but the other 4 towns are a lot more progressive, IMO.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:56 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,016,311 times
Northampton is the best choice- I cannot see a more welcoming environment for a Lesbian couple- the town has a great center and Main street; excellent restaurants, cafes, coffee houses & clubs- all very gay friendly. The proximity of Smith College (in town) plus UMASS in nearby Amherst- and also Mount Holyoke College add to the areas desirability. Mass has gay marriage (as does CT now)

Portland Me has a wonderful seaside location; I know a gay couple locating there from San Francisco. Portland also offers much in culture and recreation.

Brattleboro VT is incredibly liberal- with more of a bohemian feel. With a small urban like downtown surrounded by steep mountains along the Connecticut river. Many fine restaurants, theater groups, the arts, cafes etc.

Burlington VT is also very progressive and offers much- with a fine downtown with beautiful views of Lake Champlain.

Keene is a fine place- but the others are more progressive.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:28 AM

We will definitely check out Northampton, sounds like a really great place to be. I'm sure it has to be better than Texas.. Thanks for all the great info!

Old 10-17-2008, 08:41 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,216,147 times
Northampton MA in Massachusetts is IMO your best bet. Good luck on your move.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:47 PM

Well we would like to stay in NH if possible and we are necessarily looking for a "gay town" just somewhere that is accepting or doesnt really care. We aren't the partying type so a gay night life isnt really important to us at all. We just want to raise our family in a safe place. Any other place suggestions in NH are welcome, it doesnt have to be Keene. I figure anywhere has to be better than Texas..right?

Old 10-20-2008, 03:23 PM

6,567 posts, read 6,731,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicandblair View Post
Well we would like to stay in NH if possible and we are necessarily looking for a "gay town" just somewhere that is accepting or doesnt really care. We aren't the partying type so a gay night life isnt really important to us at all. We just want to raise our family in a safe place. Any other place suggestions in NH are welcome, it doesnt have to be Keene. I figure anywhere has to be better than Texas..right?
Try the area around Concord NH (It's the state capital) It's a nice mix of urban & rural.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:00 PM

92 posts, read 242,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicandblair View Post
My partner and I are considering a move to Keene, NH in a couple of years from Texas. We really love New England and are looking for a gay friendly semi small town with good schools and alot of nature. Is this the town for us? Thanks!

a homosexual town????

try Massachusetts or Vermont instead,

out of curiousity

why tell us about what you like sexually after all isn't it your private business what you do with sexual preferences???

Old 10-20-2008, 06:04 PM

Well, as a matter of fact, it is my business but I would like to live somewhere that doesn't demonize me in public (i.e. everywhere in Tx). We are looking for somewhere to live safely and comfortably just like everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire