Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 12:10 AM

5 posts, read 11,966 times

Advertisements

Well, now I am a little scared. We have been living on small air forces bases for the last 9 years, where everyone knows everyone, and generally helps everyone when the time comes. I have always been friendly with my neighbors, some have become great friends. We are moving in July to Farmington, which now I am not reading great things about, but since we have already purchased a home there, we will be there for a while anyway. We plan to retire in the area, and had hoped to retire in the home we purchased. We will have 5 acres, and apparently a pedophile down the street , but can't change that I presume. So, I would like to get to know MOST of my neighbors, but I am fairly shy as well. I guess being shy can come off as aloof sometimes. Now I am a bit scared that we will not be accepted into our new community like I had hoped. (Okay, unrealistic visions of making friends right away, motorcycle rides together, kayaking, bicycling, BBQing with a nice wine (Its after 12 somewhere right? ). I will try to remain positive. See, my husband has it made, he knows he has a job, he knows that because of that job he will meet people. I do not know when I will be able to get a job, and or meet anyone. We dont have young children, our youngest will be in bootcamp when we arrive, so that is one ice breaker that we will no longer be able to utilize. So, how does everyone suggest meeting people with similiar interests in small town Farmington? Any suggestions you have will help and may ease my mind a little bit! Domo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 04:12 AM

259 posts, read 988,089 times
Default ** Perhaps you're being self-consious too??

As with any relationship, it takes time to build some affinity with your neighbors. Perhaps they are afraid they don't have much in common with you. It probably is not just you . Sharing your overproductive zuchini fruits or tomatoes is a sure way to build some rappor with your neighbors. Once they realize you do not have 4-5 heads they will warm up, and that you don't belong to some weird religiuos cult.

Maybe ask them what civic activities they participate in, or what neighbors kids that sell girls scout cookies that you can buy from? Or maybe ask about who's a good handyman to hire for cleaning out the leaves from your gutters or paint your deck, come fall.

share your interests and hobbys with them.

Joke of the day to tell them;
Q.What do you get when you cross an elephant with a rhino? A. [elephino??]or [hellifino?]- just clean enough to bring a smile!just dirty enough to bring a smirk.
I'm sure you have much in common.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:46 PM

6,568 posts, read 6,732,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSingtoNH View Post
Well, now I am a little scared. We have been living on small air forces bases for the last 9 years, where everyone knows everyone, and generally helps everyone when the time comes. I have always been friendly with my neighbors, some have become great friends. We are moving in July to Farmington, which now I am not reading great things about, but since we have already purchased a home there, we will be there for a while anyway. We plan to retire in the area, and had hoped to retire in the home we purchased. We will have 5 acres, and apparently a pedophile down the street , but can't change that I presume. So, I would like to get to know MOST of my neighbors, but I am fairly shy as well. I guess being shy can come off as aloof sometimes. Now I am a bit scared that we will not be accepted into our new community like I had hoped. (Okay, unrealistic visions of making friends right away, motorcycle rides together, kayaking, bicycling, BBQing with a nice wine (Its after 12 somewhere right? ). I will try to remain positive. See, my husband has it made, he knows he has a job, he knows that because of that job he will meet people. I do not know when I will be able to get a job, and or meet anyone. We dont have young children, our youngest will be in bootcamp when we arrive, so that is one ice breaker that we will no longer be able to utilize. So, how does everyone suggest meeting people with similiar interests in small town Farmington? Any suggestions you have will help and may ease my mind a little bit! Domo!
Don't worry so much And there's nothing drasticly wrong with Farmington. Don't take what people out here say to heart so much.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:10 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,064,634 times
Have no fear, it's been a year and we now know our neighbors! Are we "friends"? Not yet & we also have a big age gap so that doesn't help. But we're all very friendly/talk frequently now when we're all outside/offer to help each other with stuff.

All it took was being here for the spring thaw...as opposed to arriving after it. As soon as that weather got warm for the first time during the year- people woke up.

That said- once we get some things in order- we're going to have that barbecue still.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:26 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,381,728 times
As someone who lives on a base considered to be one of the friendliest and closest (Minot), I can say that it's not that much different than living downtown. I came from duty in Vermont at a university, and the town that I lived in was very friendly. Go up the road to Montpelier, however, and it was a little different. They gave a bad vibe towards military. Parts of Vermont are very military unfriendly, as you can imagine. Other parts of Vermont were very military friendly, however. Depends where you go.

One advantage of living on base is the proximity to your neighbors, which makes social interaction easier, whether you want it or not. The houses are crowded right together. It was tougher for me to interact casually with my neighbors in VT because we each had 3-5 acre wooded plots. Didn't "run into each other" too much. But they were still friendly and I knew many of them well. You just have to make more of an effort to meet them.

IMO, Farmington and the surrounding area seems like they would be very friendly towards military - just a vibe I get. Most people I meet in the area when I'm home on leave are very interested in where I've been and what I do. It can make for good conversation and a good icebreaker. You should have nothing to worry about concerning the friendliness of your neighbors. One thing we military people are is adaptable. While your neighborhood definitely won't be like a base housing community (everyone works for the same employer), you won't be shunned and people should accept you just fine. Don't be afraid to go meet them. Good luck, and based on what Buck Naked said about the schools, maybe I'll go check them out next week when I'm home - maybe we'll eventually be neighbors. Let me know if you need anything (don't know if you've actually been there or not).

BTW - I read about the "active duty going to ANG bases" initiative and it seems like a sweet deal. The folks at Pease are a very tight bunch, and I think you'll enjoy the mentality of that unit. They are very experienced and good at what they do, but don't have to deal with all the BS that most active duty bases have to deal with. You will love the NH seacoast area and its people, probably as much as anywhere else you've been. I am so envious...

Old 05-04-2009, 08:24 AM

371 posts, read 1,822,566 times
Here's an article on making neighbors: From Nod and Wave to Know and Share - washingtonpost.com

Old 05-07-2009, 09:27 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,100 times
i keep to myself. im not a people person. i cant even believe im still doing customer service work

Old 05-07-2009, 04:12 PM

817 posts, read 2,188,243 times
Maybe that's the reason you're not a people person? I did customer service jobs for years and years. Now I don't really want to see people. My tolerance was used up prematurely I guess.

I had a real bad neighbor at my last house too. Left me with the impression that it's best to make your friends across town and not know the immediate neighbors too well.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:55 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
Maybe that's the reason you're not a people person? I did customer service jobs for years and years. Now I don't really want to see people. My tolerance was used up prematurely I guess.

I had a real bad neighbor at my last house too. Left me with the impression that it's best to make your friends across town and not know the immediate neighbors too well.
nah, being in customer service has actually helped me a little bit in not being so introverted. however i still pretty much keep cool and to myself. im just not as shy anymore and just dont care what people think anymore. i used to only be that way when i was drunk but now thats how i always am now.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:50 AM

27 posts, read 121,555 times
Default Best way to know your neighbor--get involved in your community

People in small towns in New Hampshire are actually very friendly and there is ample opportunity to get to know your neighbors, even if you live way out in the country. Church suppers are a good place to start (you will be welcomed even if you aren't religious). You will find similar social events posted at the town hall, library, post office, general store, etc... And of course in the really small towns, the premier social event is the Annual Town Meeting. New Hampshire towns, for the most part, are run by volunteers, and there usually are many opening on various town boards--this is a good way to meet neighbors who share a common interest. These are just a few ideas--you will find that people will leave you alone if that's what you want, but there are also lots of opportunities to make friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire