Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2008, 05:58 PM

7 posts, read 16,151 times

Advertisements

Hello
We are somewhat new to the area and to this forum and wanted to say hello to fellow New Hampshire- Hampton Beach area people.
Though I am familiar with New England (NH, ME) because i grew up and raised my family here we have been gone south now for 7 years (with quicky trips back & forth for family functions east coast).
I was unhappy to read an older post here shouting out how Hampton Beach has been known as a "white trash" area amongst other things.
I have to defend my home just a bit here.
We live in a year round condo now close to the Ashworth Hotel, have visited this area in and out of season and though the area is hopping during tourist season up until Labor Day, we have not experienced any if less noise, crime or many problems associated with winter renters, though I am very sure there are some real winners out there.
The area IS full of off season dwellers winters yes but it seems many owners have (hopefully) been a bit more carefull with renting out properties, as they should be!
I know here where we are the complex has a HOA in place which keeps a lid on who rents where if at all and tho HOA's have a bad rep in some areas winter is the best time of year if you ask me to have one lol.
If I had to say there was a questionable area winters here I would guess its south of the Ashworth towards the bridge.
Other than that the majority of people here seem kind, polite and well behaved winters.
As of Labor Day the rental units prices seem to be from 800 to 1200. for winter and the same depending on if or not utilities or other amenities are included and we have seen plenty of year round property available rent wise for the same cost even now, as of now there is also an over abundance of seasonal and year round rents still available too.
Anywhere we have lived in our travels state and citywide there is always an area some like to avoid but if I had to compare them to Hampton Beach in winter, I would have to speak up and say this location is alot safer than most and still desirable to live in.
Id give Hampton Beach a bit more credit here, after all it does help fuel part of the New Hampshire economy and there ARE many here year round and even off season who DO care about it and try to keep it a wonderful location for all.
By the way, we are middle aged and non drinkers so no we dont see alot of what goes on down the street winters where people tend to gather .

Last edited by jingles689; 10-24-2008 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 10:16 PM

758 posts, read 2,888,760 times
Welcome to the board. I think now along with you, I'm the only other member that calls Hampton home. I've come to realize something when characterizing anything about NH, or even northern New England as a whole (does anyone on this board REALLY consider CT or RI new england..totally different feel down there). You can't really apply your experiences from other states or cities to NH. The perspective from people who have lived here their entire lives is all relative to NH, not major cities or states around the rest of the country. I'm not trying to insult anyone and sorry if I offend anyone, but that is how I see it from my year and half here.

For example, when people say Hampton has a drug or crime problem, and isn't "safe" I just have to laugh. Compared to anywhere else other than NH, ME, or VT, Hampton is VERY tame. If you want to see somewhere "unsafe", go take a walk around downtown Detroit alone at night. A few drunks and a drug bust or two does not make Hampton a shady place. Even in my old hometown, which I felt was very safe and would walk around anywhere, our yearly murder and violent crime rate easily exceed the 10 year total for all of NH, possibly even 20 year total. Most people visit the strip once every 5 years and know nothing else of hampton. The town itself is very quaint, low key, and every bit of Mayberry that other small towns are. I like living here and would recommend it to anyone, retirees, new families, single young 20 somethings. That said, the actual Hampton Beach village is NOT my seen and I don't really care for the crowd it attracts, but I would never feel unsafe down there. I'm just not big on fried dough, arcades, busch light, and hundreds of people on a beach. Taking a quick walk to north beach with my cooler, kayak, and a beach towel though is just about perfect in the summer.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:03 AM

1 posts, read 3,091 times
we've vistited hampton since i was a baby, now 30ish and bring my family. drive from central ohio, and really enjoy the beach community. my only gripe would be the smoking on the beach (oh, yeah and the . they are the biggest offenders of smoking on the beach). last year some fatty allowed her kid (4 or so) to crap in his swim trunks and "you go in the water and wash up". when he came out a couple hershey kisses fell out and she just covered it up with sand. no matter how early or close to the water you put your beach stuff out......some bag will put there garbage right in front of you! once you get past the handful of idiots there (as with anywhere else) it's not that bad of a place.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-29-2009 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: language

Old 03-29-2009, 01:59 PM
SFT

79 posts, read 207,273 times
I've noticed quite a few punk kids and have witnessed a few fights/scuffles, but that can be expected most places I suppose. This is usually down the side streets by the bridge, but other than that the majority of people that regularly visit Hampton seem to be respectful. I don't live in Hampton though, but I visit it plenty in the warmer months.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,930 times
i beg to differ, i took my family there last summer and it was by far the worst vacation ever. that town is white trash central. you cant take a walk down the beach without choking on smoke (legal & illegal), seeing a fight, seeing a young person getting arrested or seeing groups of provacativly dressed young girls. its a dirty place to, trash everywhere, cigarette butss,botttles.bags etc. the kids/teenagers their are horrible, always yelling negative slurs at each other, doing what seems as gang signs, and yelling some "suuwoo" thing at each other, which my co-worker tells me is a gang slur. the motels are nasty. and i would never walk there at night.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:08 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,695,297 times
I don't really enjoy Hampton Beach, but, I certainly felt safe it just isn't what I personally enjoy I'm not a huge beach person anyway I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire