Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 07:34 PM

161 posts, read 645,451 times

Advertisements

I'm circling around trying to pin down my requirements. It seems inevitible that I will be working in Boston, at least initially. So I would like to be able to have a commute that is not insane.

I really don't want to take a bus. I hate buses. I'd rather drive. But I'd rather take a train, if it isn't insanely expensive. I see Exeter has an Amtrak. But $14 each way, man that would be expensive. Are there monthly passes?

I am considering the following due to proximity:

Derry
Nashua
Hollis
Salem (closest, but almost too close to Mass that I don't feel like I'm far enough into the state, lol)

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 10:14 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
MovingOver, keep in mind that while Exeter does have an Amtrak stop, the service is limited to 5 inbound/5 outbound trips daily. (schedule: http://www.amtrak.com/timetable/may08/W03.pdf) If you're wanting to ride the train, and wanting to live in New Hampshire, I would recommend getting to one of the T stations--commuter trains run from Newburyport (MBTA > Schedules & Maps > Commuter Rail > Newburyport/Rockport Line), Haverhill (MBTA > Schedules & Maps > Commuter Rail > Haverhill Line), and Lowell (MBTA Commuter Rail > Lowell Line Schedules and Maps) into North Station.

OK then... looking at the remainder of your email, I see that you're wanting to be in the greater Nashua/Londonderry area. IMO, Lowell would be your best bet from any of the towns that you listed. I understand what you mean about not being far enough into the state--Salem is right on the border, and there is HUGE Mass influence coming into the area for tax free shopping, cheap cigarettes, etc... Some really nice areas though, once you get away from the shopping and traffic nightmare that is Route 28

Last edited by Valerie C; 11-11-2008 at 10:16 PM.. Reason: never mind...

Old 11-12-2008, 03:10 AM

586 posts, read 1,506,420 times
I come down 93 and think that he Lowell station takes me too far West (out of my way) so drive to Anderson-Woburn rail station (exit 37C on I-93) and take the commuter rail from there. There are far more trains than Haverhill -- and there is long-term track work at Haverhill that really slows things down.

I might switch to the Andover station at some point but for now Woburn works for me. It's about 15 minutes into MA (depending on when you go...) and right off 93, and has TONS of parking -- some stations don't so you better get there by 7-ish if you want a spot! From Anderson it's about a 20-25 minute train ride, I think.

And with that -- off to make my coffee and get a move on... J.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:34 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingover View Post
I really don't want to take a bus. I hate buses. I'd rather drive.
Does it matter what KIND of bus? The only reason I ask is that I hate taking the normal transit busses (like the city busses); but don't really mind the motorcoach style busses...

I'm fairly sure there is motorcoach style bus service from Nashua- that's the only reason i ask.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:56 AM

Which is why I linked for the entire line in my first post. The Haverhill line includes Andover, etc. NDQ, how far up (down?) the line does the track work extend? I generally park at the Bradford Station instead of Haverhill (across the "new" bridge that took 5+ years to get built!)

FWIW, here's a graphic of the T's North Station Commuter Rail lines:

Plus, as BF mentions, there are buses and there are buses... Another option might be the Concord Trailways bus from Exit 4 in Londonderry (which GregW takes to South Station every morning). AND there is a huge transit station being built at Exit 5 (between Londonderry and Manchester) for park-n-ride and bus service to Boston.
Lots of options...

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdancingqueen View Post
There are far more trains than Haverhill -- and there is long-term track work at Haverhill that really slows things down.

I might switch to the Andover station at some point but for now Woburn works for me. It's about 15 minutes into MA (depending on when you go...) and right off 93, and has TONS of parking -- some stations don't so you better get there by 7-ish if you want a spot! From Anderson it's about a 20-25 minute train ride, I think.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Which is why I linked for the entire line in my first post.
Sorry - didn't mean to come across as critical of what you said Val. Just was trying to add an additional perspective and consideration. :-)

Jackie

Old 11-12-2008, 07:22 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Moving over - Concord Coach (the Trailways connection has been dropped) has opened service to Boston from Exits 2, 34 & 5 on I-93. I have been taking these busses from exit 4 to Boston and return for many years. INHO these intercity busses are more comfortable and faster than driving (even to a transit rail stop) and far less expensive than driving and parking in the city. The inbound trip takes about 40 minutes (I take the 5:30 to avoid traffic) and outbound leaving Boston at 3:45 in the afternoon usually gets to Londonderry around 5:00 PM. I have been doing this for long enough to be sleeping from Rt 102 to the elevated portion of I-93 on the inbound trip and from south station to exit 1 northbound.

Call
Concord Coach or stop by one of the stations to get more information and the new schedules.

When I do take the MBTA trains I think I should have paid more because I am on a museum train on antiquated track sitting in worn out seats. The Boston subways are worse.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 11-12-2008, 07:29 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,079 times
A friend of mine takes the Concord Coach bus every day from Manchester to Boston. It is a direct route with two stops in Boston. He works right near south station, so it works for him. You'll need to determine how far it is from your office to the end of the public transport. Say you lived in Hollis (nice town) and wanted to get to North Station. Drive to Lowell (30 minutes) and take the train to North Station in Boston. Not bad. But if you have to get to the financial district, you'd then have to get on the T and you'd have three legs - car, train, subway. Not good.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:37 AM

None taken It's definitely not a "one-size fits all" when it comes to commuting to Mass from NH. I'm just used to calling it the Haverhill line, Lowell line, etc. 'cuz those are the last stops. Haverhill from the 93 area of NH would be a PIA to get to, Andover or Ballardvale much easier. I would recommend the Haverhill (or Bradford) stops only if someone was coming from Plaistow, Newton area

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdancingqueen View Post
Sorry - didn't mean to come across as critical of what you said Val. Just was trying to add an additional perspective and consideration. :-)

Jackie

Old 11-12-2008, 07:58 AM

Totally take your point there, Val! I am not as familiar with the individual stops on each line yet - my bad.

The other piece that I think OP should consider is the amount of parking available at each station he's considering -- some stations have very little parking, some tons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire