Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2009, 12:32 PM

13 posts, read 38,683 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are torn between 2 houses, one is in Lee and the other is in Barrington. We're just starting out and can't afford our dream house yet. The house in Barrington would be brand new and we would be able to pick everything out ourseleves. Which would be sooooo nice but the road driving up to the new development is kind of tacky. There is a NH State inspection garage and a trailer on the opposite side of the development. I'm from a city and that road just reminds me of what I would think of as a typical NH neighborhood, now that I live in NH I realize how great this state is. The other house is in Lee and is cute, needs little work like replacing the carpet in the livingroom and upstairs bedrooms and maybe adding some nice shurbs in the front. Has good square footage and a pretty big yard. I've heard Lee has a great school system and am not sure about the Barrington school system. Any advice on these 2 towns would be great, we're new to the area. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 07:33 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,384,575 times
Guess you wouldn't have to go too far to get your car inspected if you lived in the Barrington development. Wouldn't bother me as long as I couldn't hear or see it from my house. Garages tend to make noise. As for the trailer, same thing. I lived next to a trailer at my last house in Vermont, and the guy was as nice as could be. A true Vermonter who would do anything for you. I wouldn't let that scare you away. Barrington schools are good - my neice and nephew go to the middle school. You can compare test scores at www.greatschools.net. That would give you some insight. Barrington is on my short list of places to move to when I retire.

Lee has a top rated school system with a very good reputation (Oyster River). Can't go wrong with schools there.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:39 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,955,713 times
There are a couple of tired old cliches in Real Estate. "Location, Location, Location" is one, and the other: "Buy the worst house in the best neighborhood". If you have second thoughts based on the Automotive Garage and trailer, guess what--other people will as well. While there is certainly nothing wrong with either (nothing worse than people moving to a new neighborhood and immediately wanting to change it to their taste) but it doesn't sound like the neighborhood is entirely residential (is the trailer by chance the builder's trailer, which will be removed once the subdivision is nearly complete?)

Take a 2nd look at the tax bill in Lee before you decide. Taxes in the Oyster River district are quite a bit higher than surrounding towns. Yes the schools are excellent, but you'll want to be sure that the higher tax burden will allow for living expenses, and doing those little jobs like replacing that carpet and doing some landscaping.

I wish you all the best in your decision
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire