Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 07:08 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,176,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I used to joke about my electric cold. It was 39 deg in the BR this morning. The outside air was warmer. Looks like a couple more days.
And heeeeerrrrrreeee's Greg! You must be at work? Hope you get your power back soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 07:10 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,176,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2NCMom View Post
Well my other sister in Dover does have power, but my other sister didn't know that until Saturday night I'm sure my mother went to her BF house in Northwood I believe (don't care much for the boyfriend so don't pay attention LOL). I hope your DH's family in ME is ok, I know the outages are definitely in pockets at this point.
We heard from DH's daughter this morning - still no power and they're saying another 4-5 days. Her mom has a condo in North Conway - they're heading there today and will stay there until the power is back on at their house.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:43 AM

1,130 posts, read 1,538,650 times
Default private message

JFR - Did you get my private message in response to yours?
I'm new at this and may not have done it right.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:56 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,272 times
I'm back online (from work in MA, power still out at home). Our 4.5 acres of woods sounded like a battlefield Thursday night through Friday afternoon- there are huge branches and trees dangling in the woods or smashed on the ground all over the property/driveway; Thank God we took down the oak with the 20" diameter branch over the living room and the house/garage got hit with nothing. It's going to be a ridiculously busy cleanup in the spring (not going to mess with it now...I'll let the winter snow tug the dangling branches from the trees first).

Getting off our road was a challenge on Friday/Saturday/Sunday...downed lines/branches everywhere; it really looks like a battlefield. Fortunately it also looks like while the electrical lines are trashed as well as the roads- we saw no big branches/trees on houses. Now just to clear some fallen pines so that I can get the 2 cars that were in the garage out (project for tomorrow afternoon).

Since its supposed to get cold again and our fireplace does nothing (we discovered)...we're going to go stay with friends in MA (Thank God for them)...a nice hot shower will be great too.

Unfortunately it looks like they haven't even started work in our area on the lines...so I'm guessing no power for awhole...but fortunately we're heading to VA for the holidays; so I guess I might as well just winterize the house and recover when we get back...

PS: 37 inside on Sunday morning...was cold.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:59 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,272 times
Also found some good links for PSNH customers:
General Info (and where to get most up-to-date links):
PSNHNews.com - December Ice Storm (http://www.psnhnews.com/displaypage.cfm?pgid=73 - broken link)

Compares this storm's outages to the other 4 worst:
PSNHNews.com - Storm Restoration Comparison (http://64.140.220.121//displaypage.cfm?pgid=74 - broken link)

Outages by town (as of 5am on the 15th):
http://64.140.220.121//pdfs/12-15-05...AGE_UPDATE.pdf

Old 12-15-2008, 10:12 AM

1,281 posts, read 3,703,573 times
My family in Dover and Somersworth now have their power back, Somersworth just this morning! So relief may be coming soon as the numbers are coming down. Stay safe all, it's about 70 here today - warmest since October and I am actually enjoying it LOL. Windows are open for some air!

Old 12-15-2008, 11:50 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,946,618 times
Hey Tara, welcome back
For all of the trouble going on in this area, everybody that I've run into in stores buying water, filling gas cans and propane tanks, etc. is pretty darn cheerful. Maybe that cold air has just addled out brains... Palm trees and "easy living" just isn't for everybody, right Ken E?

Anyway, how ya doing back down in Naples? I'm happy that you found your personal paradise... you may have gone on forever being miserable in Florida had you not spent 10 months in New Hampshire

Old 12-15-2008, 12:09 PM

63 posts, read 132,546 times
Default Encouraging words

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2NCMom View Post
My family in Dover and Somersworth now have their power back, Somersworth just this morning! So relief may be coming soon as the numbers are coming down. Stay safe all, it's about 70 here today - warmest since October and I am actually enjoying it LOL. Windows are open for some air!
I'm encouraged by your posting. Maybe my family in Dover will have power today--nothing as of last night. They're close to Somersworth, so maybe they'll be on the side of town as your family and also be warm.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:19 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,246,580 times
I guess everyone has their opinion of what fantastic is.I wish your neighbor form Vermont all the luck in the world with their move to Florida.I really beleive you either like it up north or you dont. I also beleive you like it down south or you dont. Everyplace is nice when you go to visit. Its a different story to live there. One neat thing i noticed the other day when the power went out up there was all the people on Craigs List offering food and shelter to complete strangers who were without electricity. I saw the same offers around Thanksgiving for a free dinner to those who were without. Down here when there's a disaster all you hear is people bitching about when is Fema gonna give them some $$$$. Thats the difference between N.H. and down here. You find a awful lot of grattitude up there. Very little down here. That is why i think N.H. is Fantastic!

Old 12-15-2008, 12:21 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,043 times
To anyone who hears about this ice storm and you are thinking about moving to NH, just remember that one of the resounding themes on this board that all of us have said time and time again-research and visit before you make a big move. If you are moving somewhere that has long winters, visit in the winter. If you don't properly research and end up miserable in a move to anywhere, you have no one to blame but yourself.

No place on earth is perfect. I will say this-after spending the past 5 years going back and forth between NH and FL to help with sick parents and at one point living down there for 10 LONG weeks straight for my dad's surgery-I could never live there-ever. It is a nice place to visit but it certainly has it's share of problems as does any other place on earth. However, I don't feel the need to go over to the Florida boards under various names and continually post every thing that is wrong with Florida and bash bash bash.

Nowhere is perfect and NH has it's problems-which have been discussed rationally on posts on this board by the way. I, for one, have never been shy about writing issues or problems that I have with NH. Of course it is smart to discuss the good and bad points of a state. However, continually bashing a state and saying nothing good about it is something different altogether.

I, for one, have loved seeing the NH spirit come alive during these hard times-neighbors helping neighbors, caring for one another,even businesses helping out. Another thing, no reports of looting or other crimes that are seen in other states when people are in natural disasters, etc.. We have all seen the news stories of looting and crimes after hurricanes and other natural disasters in other parts of the country.

BTW- I am in the Lakes region, it is 50 degrees out and there is NO snow on the ground. I am fortunate to have power back on. I pray for those who are not yet so lucky.

I hope everyone stays warm and safe. I hope that everyone gets their power back soon.

Nicole

Last edited by nicolem; 12-15-2008 at 12:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire