Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 12:24 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,902,479 times

Advertisements

Hey Mom 70 sounds good--I'll be looking for some of that in a couple of months! Thanks for the update on the Dover/Somersworth area. Glad to hear that things are doing better there! I was supposed to visit Somersworth over the weekend for some cookie baking--needless to say I didn't make it....

Was talking to a fellow agent today who lives in Candia. She has heard rumors that power may not be fully restored for a week or possibly two. I don't know how true this is, and not sure where she heard it (hopefully it's one of those false rumors--you know how some people like to make the worst out of a bad situation!)

Gaffer, you mentioned that you are concerned for family in Fremont. If you want to DM me the contact info (address) I'll check in on them when I am out that way tomorrow (Tuesday).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2NCMom View Post
My family in Dover and Somersworth now have their power back, Somersworth just this morning! So relief may be coming soon as the numbers are coming down. Stay safe all, it's about 70 here today - warmest since October and I am actually enjoying it LOL. Windows are open for some air!

Moderator cut: the text you are referring to has been deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_glasses View Post
<SNIP>
Naples is fantastic compared to what you guys are going through.. I wish I hadn't spent the 10 months in Keene or NH at all. It really ruined us in wanting to live up north. The nasty people, terrible road conditons and horrible weather in the winter really left a sour taste... 3 months of "summer" and less than a month of autumn is hardly enough to contend with the crap thats going on there right now...Especially considering you'll be dealing with this till what at least another 4 months maybe 5 far inland...
Hmmmm, I'd have thought that Naples would be FANTASTIC without comparing it to what we're going through. Times like these are when people's character comes out, and I see it every day when I go out. Have you ever wondered why you seem to attract all these "nasty" people and why even though you are living back in wonderful Florida, you still feel the need to continually return to a place with such terrible memories. Isn't that sort of like reliving the drama over and over and over and over and over again? Can't you just accept that you made a poor decision, and move on? As you can see by the postings, even people who have no power and are posting from work are not bitter and angry, but determined to make the best of a bad situation. For example, last night was steak and burgers on the grill, toasted marshmallows on the woodstove, and we'll finish decorating the Christmas tree tonight (yeah, I'm a little late) Get over it, and accept the fact that NH isn't the place for you, for many reasons. Maybe if you could have taken part in even a few of the winter activities that we love, it would have been better. Maybe not, but ya never know

Last edited by vter; 12-15-2008 at 05:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 01:32 PM

817 posts, read 2,183,819 times
Ya know, I have yet to come across one nasty person in New Hampshire. Maybe they've all moved back to where they came from. My husband and I are both shocked at how nice everyone is.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:47 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,157,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
Ya know, I have yet to come across one nasty person in New Hampshire. Maybe they've all moved back to where they came from. My husband and I are both shocked at how nice everyone is.
Be Free - We're transplants and like you, have not experienced "nasty people" either - some are more reserved than others, but you find that anywhere - I believe you "get back" what you "project"....some people give off "good vibes"....others "not so good ones" and that's what they get in return......

Old 12-15-2008, 02:08 PM

26,380 posts, read 46,282,142 times
I am officially calling this a snow drought until we get a storm with at least a couple inches of snow. So far the official reporting station in Concord has only measured 1.5 inches. The central part of the state southward has not seen much snow at all yet.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:44 PM

122 posts, read 312,399 times
Ha! Was that Naples, Florida?? If so, you can thank God that you haven't experienced power outs like the NH people have! Miss Naples, you live in HURRICANE territory. Just because you haven't been hit, doesn't mean you won't. Thank God that you haven't, but don't think it won't happen. In Miami, we lived through Hurricane Andrew in '92. We were without power for 6 weeks (not a typo) and without running water for 3 wks. Our area has hit head-on, and our lives were mangled and put back together slowly. There aren't many areas in our country that are safe from extreme weather situations. Naples (and I have relatives there) could be slated for one of next year's hurricanes. One thing I've learned is never to think that fate can't knock you upside the head. Remember: Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:10 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,224,747 times
From the description you just gave of that area, where does the Fantastic part of living there come in? I must be overlooking something.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:15 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,535,029 times
Hey Valerie C - Thanks for the offer to check on my son and his family in Fremont, but he was in his office today in Wakefield and we had several e-mails back and forth. His wife and family are staying with friends. Power is back on Main Street and they are 3 (telephone) poles away so hoping they'll have power bck shortly.
As for JFR I hope we get hit with a lake effect 3 or 4 feet overnight before he leaves as a going away memory. Don't sell the snow blower yet JFR

Old 12-15-2008, 05:36 PM

120 posts, read 785,141 times
Dang, Val, that was quick!!! You get 10 brownie points!!! I love it!

Green (does that mean jealous? hmmmm....) :Ya' know, I've been affected by power outages in the southeast U.S. by hurricanes, and it's hot and humid as hell! I'd much rather try to get warm than cool. I'm not trying to be mean (okay, maybe a little bit) but isn't there some kind of police benevolent society for NH haters charity you can join and just leave people the heck alone unless they want you around? If you are truly a southern girl, then your mama taught you better!!! You're giving us belles a bad name.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:56 PM

142 posts, read 572,349 times
Hi Everyone,I've been living in the White Mountains for a 1 1/2yrs now,before we moved here I did my research of different area's,visited many places before we decided to move to New Hampshire. We visited NH
for four years,we talked to the towns people,went to bussiness's and talked to the workers etc. We have NEVER found anyone to be rude or nasty,I have found the people of New Hampshire willing to help and give info of their towns. Yes their are a couple that are cautious,and reserved in the info they wanted to give,but can you blame them. They do have a beautiful state and they don't want outsiders coming in to ruin it.
I have many relatives that live in Fla. they tell me how you can't drink the water there because of the high water table from the ocean and how you have to drink bottled water. Also how many people can't get home owners insurance because of the hurricanes and tornadoes. Florida in the summer is so hot you can't even go outside,so you spend your time in a/c is that living,I would rather have the weather of NH even with our snow you are able to get around. Today is Dec 15 and it's 53 degrees out so far this year our weather is mild but I'm hoping we get snow soon because if we don't our ski resorts are going to be hurting last year they had a great year and I'm wishing them the same for this year. Tara if you don't like NH that is fine,but you need to get a life and move on all of your anger and hate is making you a very bitter and ugly person.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:53 PM

885 posts, read 2,653,442 times
Back to the topic in hand...
No power in this part of Madbury still. However Amazon came thru and my overnight delivered generator is humming outside and we have a fridge and lights. Even got my sat tv running for MNF. No Internet yet (this written on iphone). Will attempt to get furnace and well pump on genny pwr tomorrow for a long awaited shower and maybe I can get back to work on weds.

Saw a crew from Quebec working in Durham today. I have to say I felt like jumping out the car and thinking them in schoolboy French. Lots of hard working local, out of state and even international folks out there. Thank you and merci.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire