Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 04:36 PM

122 posts, read 313,366 times

Advertisements

Jacqui~ I am glad that you find comfort on this forum. People have to find support wherever they can, and a lot of times it comes from unexpected sources. It has to be tough, at times, if your only family is your children. Nothing wrong with children, but the more support you have, the easier life usually is.
I have lived through a long, hard situation that was caused by weather, too, and know how difficult it is. If you ever need someone to listen, to sympathize with living without electricity for extended periods of time, or just to say hello, pm me.
I admire your strength. Just remember that you don't have to be strong every single minute.
Nancie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 02:12 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
we got power today! yippee!! a full week since we lost it on Thursday around 9PM last week.

we are luckier than friends in Derry though. They are still out and are expected to be out until the first week of January. My friend's car was crushed when a 200 year old maple fell on it.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:36 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,931,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
we got power today! yippee!! a full week since we lost it on Thursday around 9PM last week.

we are luckier than friends in Derry though. They are still out and are expected to be out until the first week of January. My friend's car was crushed when a 200 year old maple fell on it.
Woopee! I'm so glad things are improving for you, Buck!!
Wow! That's so sad about the car... and the tree! Hope your friend has good insurance.
Take care and let us know how the "recovery" is going!

Old 12-18-2008, 05:00 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Still no electricity here in my Londonderry neighborhood... No school tomorrow in Londonderry... I'm going crazy, wanna come?

Old 12-18-2008, 05:24 PM

I take it you have wifi???

it's amazing that everything we do requires power. even the pellet stove that I was so proud of installing couldn't run without electricity. Luckily I had a generator for heat and the fridge. We have power back, but no cable yet. The cable company says it may be a couple of weeks still.

The same goes for my friends in Derry...it could be January before they are back on line. Frustrating is too gentle a word for the situation we are in.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:24 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,931,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Still no electricity here in my Londonderry neighborhood... No school tomorrow in Londonderry... I'm going crazy, wanna come?
O, I'm so sorry! Cabin fever can often be alieviated by a party!!
Should I bring the salsa and corn chips, or the sangria??
(Not meaning to make light of your situation, of course.)

Old 12-18-2008, 07:08 PM

Not meaning to make light of your situation, of course.

no pun intended...

I realized in this power outage just what a redneck I am.... I was thoroughly PO'd to see a house totally lit up with christmas lights when everyone else was trying to just stay warm.

My son is an electrician and he told me stories about people wanting generators to heat their hot tubs, etc...PO'd again! People are dying because (in one case) their oxygen tank batteries died after 3 days!!!

Old 12-18-2008, 10:25 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Don't get me wrong--although the frustration is building, I am VERY lucky that our generator has been running 24/7 since last Friday morning. We have heat and water, refrigerator, phone, and a working Internet connection. Unfortunately the generator isn't powerful enough for me to use the stove, the microwave, oven or washer/dryer, or my PC (monitor sucks down energy!) So I've been cooking on the grill and on the wood stove. I've seriously considered going to the shelter at the high school for a warm meal. I feel like I could get a part time job at Sturbridge Village with my mad stove-top cooking skills (now looking for a cast-iron dutch oven for "next time"...

Overall it's not too bad and I really shouldn't complain... (but I will anyway!)

Old 12-19-2008, 05:36 AM

885 posts, read 2,661,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
I realized in this power outage just what a redneck I am.... I was thoroughly PO'd to see a house totally lit up with christmas lights when everyone else was trying to just stay warm.
Same here. I actually scolded myself for being annoyed at someone for their Christmas Spirit.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:41 PM

909 posts, read 3,363,878 times
We were very lucky to have very kind neighbors with a better set up. We had heat and a working sump pump, and one outlet that went back and forth between the fridge and the microwave. Our neighbors had everything, so they invited us up each night to take showers, and the checked on our generator each day to make sure it still had gas when we were staying in MA.

Last night I was at a rehearsal at church, and one of my friends still doesn't have power. A tree snapped her powerline and phone line, so even if her surrounding area gets power, no one will address her situation until the bigger things are taken care of
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire