Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 08:43 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times

Advertisements

Greetings gang - Thank you for sending a couple of PMs asking about the last week or so. On Thursday the 11th we had a bit of an Ice Storm that did a royal number on the electric power distribution system in New England. When I went out on Friday morning the local road was nearly blocked with downed branches and debris. Our local mid voltage distribution line had one 11,000 volt wire on the ground. This wire stayed on the ground for the next 6 days. Unfortunately this connection fed the underground wiring for our half of the condo.

We eventually ran out of water and I had to bail water out of the local pond to provide sanitation. All I could think of was a simple loss of power sets civilization back to ancient Egypt and a bucket on a rope. We slept at home during the event. Even thought the inside temperature dropped to 39 deg one morning in the living room we did not risk freezing the plumbing. The place is insulated well enough that a two mantel Coleman propane lamp actually brought the temperature up a bit. Finding a Colman propane bottle on Saturday morning was impossible.

The Town set up a Red Cross shelter in the school gym. We did not use the shelter except for showers. If the kids that generally use these showers have to put up with, OK now I am griping, barely warm water then we have one tough bunch of kids. The shelter was quite full with mostly elderly and more than a few families. At least the place was warm because they have a big enough stand by generator to handle the lighting and furnace loads using natural gas as the fuel.

Eventually the power was restored about 2 AM on Wednesday morning the 17th. Anne was scheduled for surgery that afternoon in Boston. She was in the hospital until Friday morning. I brought her home before the weekend snow part 1. We spent the weekend at home with interesting things like heat, water, light and TV.

I am going to be on vacation until January 5th. I will try to continue our correspondence during that time. Thank all of you for your concern and have a happy holidays and a good year.

Greg W
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 09:13 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,137,371 times
hey greg! welcome back to the land of electricity! I'm with you on the pond water. I went through the same thing, although we got our power back last Wednesday so we were only a week without power. I can't say the same for friends in Derry. They were told January would be the earliest.

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-22-2008, 10:19 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,034,225 times
and I think my DH is nuts for hoarding water: One time I ventured down into the basement and found at least 60 gallon jugs of water down there (mostly from either the dehumidifier or decanting at the sink waiting for it to get hot)! His excuse was that if the power ever went out, we'd be all set for flushing. Mind you, the number of times out power has gone out for more than a few hours over a 25 year stretch of time....

I can't let him read this or he'll start hoarding when we move up!

Old 12-22-2008, 10:32 AM

We are instituting a new policy. We fill a couple of large buckets with tap water and keep them in the bathtub if an ice storm is forecast. Then we will have a flush warer supply next to the flusher.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:34 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,137,371 times
why not just fill the tub? I was thinking I should have done that when the ice storm was first forecast. I should have filled both of them. Hiking to the pond and carrying two full buckets through knee deep snow is not my idea of fun.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:42 PM

I have more faith in the buckets than in the tub drain stopper. We never use the tub as a tub but as a shower with a really high curb.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:45 PM

586 posts, read 1,506,208 times
Good to see you back online, Greg, and that is a great new policy. I think I'll adopt it as well.

have a great vacation and I hope Anne recovers speedily. Jackie

Old 12-23-2008, 05:02 AM

ndq and all the rest - thank you and a happy holidays to ALL.

Old 12-24-2008, 04:40 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,176,486 times
Greg - Glad to hear you are back among the land of modern conveniences! It sounds like you made the best of a bad situation Here's to a quick postop recovery for Anne and a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to both of you!

Old 12-24-2008, 07:07 AM

452 posts, read 1,733,513 times
Good to see you made it back, Greg. Having no water pressure isn't fun at all. I had to haul a few buckets myself.

The bathtub idea is good until, as you say, that leaky stop will dry you up by morning. There are a couple of other locations however. Your hot water tank, if you have one, usually contains 40 gallons. Just make sure power or fuel is shut off and don't relight or re-power until the tank is refilled FULLY with water and all air has been evacuated from the lines and the water runs full blast.

Another location is your washing machine. If you expect to have a power outage, fill your washing machine ahead of time. If you survive the storm, simply add detergent and do a cold load before pumping it out. But lets hope your power stays on for the rest of the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire