Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 06:17 AM

105 posts, read 208,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
This would involve educating ones self and dealng with facts. Something you and other race card users would rather not do.
I understand and know the facts, I suppose I just look at things differently.

Our country has created a permanent underclass, and illegal aliens are going to be here whether we like it or not. They will never be rounded all up and deported. Do I want people here illegally--of course not. But i'd rather try and deal with the reality of the situation.

I guess it seems to me that when the situation of illegals is discussed, it's easy to point at the people who look different----illegal! I'm not saying that you do that--you're intelligent, and I wasn't pointing the finger at you, so, sorry.

There are loads of illegal Canadians, Irish, English, etc. in the country, and no mention seems to be ever made of them. In the early 90's I was living in Boston and wanted to get some working painting or hanging sheetrock--couldn't do it--seems like the illegal Irish had it sewn up. I didn't necessarily like it, but that was just the situation. Somehow, that wasn't seen as much of a bad thing. If they were Dominican or Mexican (not too many Mexicans around then though), it was often seen a bit different.

Just my experience, and sorry if it doesn't make much sense.

Since we're moving back to NH soon, we're looking to rent something before we buy a house, and the rents seem really high in Nashua (especially compared to Oregon--even though it's gone up a lot here--an these days you'd be lucky to find a 1000sq ft bungalow in a decent area for less than $250,000 these days)--except for in the obviously lousy parts of town. Made me wonder where all the really low income people (illegal or not) who must work around the city live.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:46 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,450,823 times
jmatt - Regardless of how it may 'seem', an illegal is an illegal is an illegal, regardless of country of origin. However, it is a fact that the majority of illegals are Mexican, then the next largest group are combined latinos. Is it racist then if one is opposed to illegal immigration, to want to discourage the many benefits (this is where workforce housing comes in...mark my words) liberals have made available to these groups? Is one supposed to be immune to judgement and law simply because they do not have a white anglo-saxon appearance? Criminality is allowed then?

You are wrong to assume that US citizens contributing to this thread have simply ogled at illegals from afar based on physical appearance and have not connected and communicated with people living in the US from a variety of cultures. Do not underestimate, it is offensive.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:56 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatt View Post
I understand your point, but what about the people who provide basic services in the town and who barely make enough to live on. Tough luck I guess--they'll have to live somewhere they can afford--which may be pretty far away. Sure, they can work hard and educate themselves and move up, but they'll just be replaced by another group. A sort of permanent underclass serving the people who can afford to live there. If you're OK with that, then I guess we just disagree.
Yup, I"m ok with that. Sometimes you can't live where you work. It's nothing new. I'm fine with disagreeing, but my main point is that it has nothing to do with ethnic, religion, hair color, job, or whatever you feel like putting out as hot buttons. It's really to do with where you live is a privilege, not a right, and most important of all (and pardon me for shouting but this keeps getting lost in the bigotry whining) IT DOES NOT GIVE THE STATE THE RIGHT TO TELL THE TOWNS HOW TO RUN THEMSELVES. As long as a town isn't doing anything outright illegal, the state can darn well keep their noses out of their business. It's the townspeople responsibilities.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:15 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,962,441 times
Cool Arguments that lose

When race and sexual preference are injected into an argument that alone reveals that the argument is weak and has no logical basis! I notice that many who are inclined towards the left always cry out with their bleeding do good hearts especially when they ice their mindless argument with a homosexual and racial frosting!

This tactic alone shows those who are not of the devious and malicious mind and nature what these misanthropes are all about!

Old 02-27-2009, 11:53 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,450,823 times
Wanna, thank you for yelling exactly what I feel should be yelled. The state should not pass laws which override existing town regulations - like zoning. Taking away local control is the beginning of the end.

And I see nothing wrong with multiple classes of people. Isn't that just natural? We all know people of a variety of intelligence, skill, ingenuity and motivational levels, right? Why should we assume that someone in an 'underclass' as you put it would not feel fulfilled? People have individual definitions of contentment, so an argument for workforce housing based on an assumption that the 'underclass' should be given a handout is a demeaning one to a lot of folks.

And, yes, Comet, about race and sexual preference - where is the pride in people who would sooner expect special treatment due to race or sexual preference than based on their ability and ethics? I don't see where any of it should come into play, period. Yet our public schools push diversity and pop psych at our great expense and our children's. That way when they grow up they can vote for the builders to come in and build more welfare slums for those poor poor people.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
Buildings do not make a slum. People do.
FiveHorses, you are very correct! My office is right next door to section8 housing. I have not noticed a preponderance of trash or anything outside (of course we're annoyed because they keep filling up our dumpster that we have to pay to have emptied...), the buildings were just recently re-sided (I didn't think they looked bad, but..), the kids in the neighborhood seem perfectly well behaved, I've only had trouble once in the 5 years I've been here (a couple rocks thrown at windows). I have no idea what these places are like on the inside, but from the outside they appear the same as any other neighborhood.

But I still object to the state overriding the town's voted-on regulations.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:25 AM

34 posts, read 101,107 times
Derry and Londonderry have enough low income housing. Why the insiders want to let this push them around and let the state dictate is beyond me. Maybe some of these politicians ought to pay our property taxes insed of bleeding us Windham , Chester, Atkinson, Pelham, Litchfield==all the towns surrounding Derry and Londonderry have NO low income housing -at all. I guess the town officials don't lick the boots of politicians or developers like . If you want cheap housing, Londonderry and Derry have it. -too much of it. It has already scummed up the towns. Pick up the Derry News, look at the apartment rentals. MANY. Look at the cond, apartment , trailer parks single family homes in Londonderry and Derry. WE ARE BEING LIED TO PEOPLE BY THIS WORM OF A DEVELOPER. HE DOESN'T WANT TO WORK IN A FACTORY, HE WANTS TO TAKE OUR SACRED LAND AND PUT UP WELFARE HOUSING. WE WELL BE A REFUGEE DUMP , LIKE MANCHESTER AND LOWELL IS. PEOPLE HANGING OUT, NO JOBS. WE ALREADY HAVE TROUBLE IN OUR TOWNS BECAUSE OF LOW INCOME HOUSING. WE DON'T NEED MORE. THE SANDWICH SHOPS WILL GET MORE BUSINESS, THE POLICE WILL GET MORE BUSINESS, AND OUR PROPERTY TAXES WILL GO UP BECAUSE THE PEOPLE IN LONDONDERRY WILL BE FORCE TO GIVE FREE HOUSING.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-05-2009 at 04:33 AM.. Reason: No names!

Old 06-05-2009, 05:49 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I have lived in Londonderry NH for 28 years and believe me there is no housing available for anyone making less than $20 per hour with overtime. Yes, we do have a couple of trailer parks but I do not know of any apartment buildings. I think there are some in Derry but not many.

With a median income of over $90,000 Londonderry classes as a very wealthy, hence, exclusive suburb. Apparently Clark Bush had to sacrifice to live in the sacred suburbs on his own sacred land and is terrified that somebody else might be able to move into town without paying the price he was charged. Too darn bad. We need to eliminate the economic discrimination and have a place for people from all levels of income work and live in our town. There are plenty of places available to build higher density SFH’s and/or apartment buildings but they are not allowed. I am not in favor of big lot exclusionary zoning and am not afraid to say so.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:04 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,324,295 times
No one has a right to live any where they want. Government should certainly not be mandating that towns have to accept/build/etc. any kind of housing.

If you cannot afford to live in a certain town, then you need to find a town that you can afford to live in. If you really want to live in a certain town-then work hard-two or three jobs, whatever it takes-sacrifice and save. Put your hands to work instead of extending them for a hand out. I know plenty of people who have done it and still do it instead of expecting a government law/ handout/whatever. Hardwork and sacrifice-extreme ideas I know.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
No one has a right to live any where they want. Government should certainly not be mandating that towns have to accept/build/etc. any kind of housing.

If you cannot afford to live in a certain town, then you need to find a town that you can afford to live in.
Hear! Hear!!
I'd rep you, but I'm in jail)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire