Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 08:50 AM

1 posts, read 897 times

Advertisements

hey there.
I don't know much about either city, and I was actually looking for info on both. I am from R.I. and have been living in Melbourne, Fl for the last 5 years. I want to move back up north in a few years and thought either Manchester or Portland would be good. (i'm NOT moving back to R.I.!) So I was hoping I could get some insight on both cities. Maybe you can give me some info that you have gathered up. Crime and all that really isn't an issue. I'm more interested in work, living, costs of everything, what to do. Thanks for the info. Hope you have had luck in your decision! Good luck with school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 01:58 PM

758 posts, read 2,889,470 times
I think the only reason I would choose Manchester over Portland would be because of a better job offer. It's nothing so much against manchester, but Portland is a great town with much more activity, street appeal, restaurants, bars, etc. It's on the ocean and not horribly far from the ocean.

Manchester is okay but it seems like a much more subdued city with less character and culture. It's a drive to the ocean, and to the mountains. You might pay a little less overall though to live there.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:09 PM
SFT

79 posts, read 207,354 times
I personally really like Manchester, but have not ever lived right in the city although I do enjoy visiting it.

Of all the people I have heard speaking poorly of the city, I doubt many, if any of them have tried to do anything to help the community. It is far easier to complain about something than to try to make things better.

In terms of SNHU, if you are going to be a student and living on campus, it really is not in the heart of Manchester and more to the outskirts, unless you would be getting an apartment in Manchester. The great thing I find about the area is that there are a good mix of towns around the area ranging from decent sized towns to fairly rural, so even if you don't like living right in the city, but would like the convenience of living near it, you can find somewhere.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:28 PM

28 posts, read 76,078 times
Manchester is a nice place to live, it has it's nice areas and it's not so great areas like any city. I don't know as much about Portland other than it's become quite expensive. In Manchester you are pretty close to MA if you want to expand your job search.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:59 PM

247 posts, read 538,276 times
You could look at living in Concord, you may find it a more enjoyable atmosphere and it is only 20 minutes Manchester.The crime is lower and there is a little more "culture".Manchester is not bad but nothing special.Lots of laziness.Dont know about Portland.

Last edited by No attitude; 07-21-2009 at 08:13 PM..

Old 07-22-2009, 12:12 AM

544 posts, read 1,471,967 times
Crime in Manchester wouldnt be the concern with me.
I went to Manchester and found it quite boring especially for a city its size.
No decent bars that I seen really, a few ok places maybe, but I wouldnt move to Manchester myself. I like Nashua more if Im picking.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:11 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,544,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltinjohn View Post
Crime in Manchester wouldnt be the concern with me.
I went to Manchester and found it quite boring especially for a city its size.
No decent bars that I seen really, a few ok places maybe, but I wouldnt move to Manchester myself. I like Nashua more if Im picking.
Personally I think you should have opened your eyes a bit more, but hey that's just me.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:32 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
I agree with Dave...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire