U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2008, 05:38 PM

14 posts, read 50,244 times

Advertisements

Hi - I will be staying with a friend in Berlin, NH for a year or two. I am willing to travel to work even if that means I have to drive or take a plane every once in a while. However, I'm wondering about the road conditions and the airports during the winter. (I have images of Minnesota snow storms in my head.)

Can we chat about traveling in NH?

Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 10:03 PM

452 posts, read 1,604,128 times
Sure we can....just give me a sec though....I need to plow the driveway, shovel the stairs, snow blow the walkways and clear the mail box. While your waiting for me, here is a little reading material. I believe there's an article or two concerning a couple of your questions.

UnionLeader.com - New Hampshire news, business and sports

Old 01-01-2009, 01:02 AM

14 posts, read 50,244 times
Wow. Thanks much for the link.

Do the airports have to close very often? I may have to fly in and out of Manchester every week for a few months and I want to set expectations with my job about the potential for closed airports or even roads that are impassable. We had a storm much like yours just a week ago or so and it closed our airport for a few days but it doesn't happen very often so I can count on getting to the airport without too much thought. I love snow, but need to be able to tell my manager that although it snows in NH, I'll be able to get to East coast customers when I make a committment to do so. Thoughts?

Thanks for the quick response.

Happy New Year!

Old 01-01-2009, 07:02 AM

452 posts, read 1,604,128 times
I'd be very much surprised if MHT averaged more than one closure a year. The run way maintenance crews in Manchester are the best at what they do. You'll usually require a "Nor Easter" with 2 feet of snow or more to shut down Manchester Regional Airport. Delays are far more likely.

Here's a link that may help.....
(MHT) Manchester Municipal Airport Delays

Old 01-01-2009, 08:23 AM

406 posts, read 1,475,127 times
Default Snow? what snow?...

MHT is great in the snow... there were a couple times that I was surprised it was still open. I flew in once where you could see the plows just getting off the runway, which they had cleared right before we landed. NH does a great job with clearing the roads, too...

Depending on where you are flying from/to, weather at the other end or en route was more likely to cause delays... especially if you are still commuting in the summer. I did 9 months of a weekly commute to/from DC, and it was the thunderstorms along the eastern seaboard and/or storms in the Midwest that delayed flights making it to the east coast that were the biggest headache.

Good luck... even though MHT is a great airport and easy to get in and out of, dealing with it on a continuing basis can be incredibly wearing... I don't envy you at all!

Old 01-01-2009, 11:41 AM

2,536 posts, read 5,270,326 times
NH is not as bad as Minnesota. I lived one winter in the midWest and the temp would go below zero and stay there for three weeks. Our weather is more moderate. It does not stay that cold for long...
Manchesters airport is better than Boston for weather closures. Manchester is 40 miles inland while Boston's airport is on the waterfront.
Berlin is pretty far north. I'd get an AWD/4WD vehicle or some good snow tires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire