Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 06:45 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,851,013 times

Advertisements

Along with Hollis and Amherst, check out Mont Vernon. It is a nice town although not a great location if you are commuting to MA. People who live in Hollis, Amherst and Mont Vernon shop mostly on 101A. When coming north, get off at Exit 7 on Rt 3 in Nashua and take 101A West towards Milford. Just about every store imagineable is on that stretch. When you get to 101, take it East to Bedford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 07:05 PM

17 posts, read 28,026 times
Greeley Park in Nashua has some nice neighborhoods near it. I like going there very much.
Also, consider Merrimack it runs long north/south connecting Nashua and Manchester, two of the 'big' NH cities. Good place to live and easy to drive to those two places, and about an hour drive into Boston. The only annoying thing is the toll road Rt3.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:49 AM

571 posts, read 1,318,163 times
Well, January may not be the best time to check out any neighborhood but among the areas or things I would check out would be the Pheasant Lane Mall and the businesses along the DW Highway North. The shops along downtown's main street, the big Library, the Conway Ice Arena (you can just walk in and watch hockey practice or public skating),the beautiful mansions along Manchester Street (Mainstreet North of the Civil War Monument) and the stores along Amherst Street (101A) are worth seeing.
Actually a lot of Nashua is suburb-type individual homes on lots with local elementary schools and there are a lot of churches of all types. We have our own newspaper , the Telegraph, and a local minded city government that is not full of stuffed shirts but rather local people who want to help out.
As for the Bedford village inn - my wife and I ate there once on a gift certificate. It is a nice place to go if you have money to burn or are on a company expense account. Small portions and very pretentious but tasty food. ( seating crowded)
We checked out Bedford before moving to Nashua.

Last edited by yinduffy; 01-06-2009 at 04:50 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-06-2009, 06:13 AM

452 posts, read 1,733,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaggard View Post
We have read a lot about Nashua and the surrounding area and would very much like to get a real feel about the kind of place that it is. We would be especially interested in comparing it to Northern Vermont, an area with which we are very familiar and like a lot. What we don't like about north VT is the poor job growth, patchy internet accessibility and the higher cost of living.
I hardly believe that Nashua and the surrounding areas will compare in any way to the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont or any other part of our neighbor to the west.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:24 PM

12 posts, read 36,050 times
Lived in the Nashua area for 19+ years before moving away last year. Although Nashua has seen a boom it's not nearly as bad as some locals make it out to be. To their credit they are used to the "old" days. Ask those same people how often do they go into the city of Boston and chances are the answer is never. What I liked about it was that it had a suburb feel to it with just enough "city" feel to it. Traffic can be a real pain at time but for the most part I liked the area very much. Bottom line to me is..although Nashua may be too city, just go a town or two over and you're right back in the country. Enjoy your stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire