Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2009, 08:30 PM

5 posts, read 13,807 times

Advertisements

It's a beautiful place - but are newcomers welcome (single woman/50's)? I'm kinda going all over the boards getting info on New Hampshire and Vermont. I'm trying to get near Keene (within a couple of hours). I'm sure I'll have more questions now that I've discovered this wonderful site - thanks for all the advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 12:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,505 times
here goes again, now that I registered.....Hancock is a quintessential NE town. Lots of old families that have been there for ages, a pretty good group of newcommers attracted to the beauty of the place. Yes, you would be welcome. Meeting people is easy: Hang out at the deli for two hours and you will probably meet everyone in town within three visits. My wife's company has an office there, and the Hancock agent meets everyone in town at least once a month....not for business, but people stop in just to say HI!. During the recent ice storm there was an incredible community effort to help each other out. I live in New Ipswich, about a half-hour from there, and it is nowhere near the same quality of town. Hancock is quite politically liberal compared to the region--whether that is good or bad depends on your politics. Peterborough is right down the street and offers a modicum of nightlife and food places. Keene is about a half-hour drive and is a great place to hang out. We go to Keene at least one a week just to walk around and do things. Here in New Ipswich I am limited to one bad restaurant, one decent coffee shop, and my choice of two gas stations to visit. Keep this in mind if you are out to find a companion: Small towns , as attractive as they are, have a very limited pool of resources, if you know what I mean. Good luck!

Old 01-07-2009, 07:05 PM

5 posts, read 13,807 times
Thanks NHbob - my son actually lives in Keene - and I love it there - but really don't want to relocate to the same town he's in - I love the look of Hancock - and the location close to Peterborough and Keene would be perfect - or I can go further out - but no more than 2 hours from Keene. I guess I just needed to know that I wouldn't be moving to any town where I seemed like an alien to everyone - the only older (54) single woman on the planet! I like to be active in volunteering in the community as well as church, animal shelter, etc. - so I don't ordinarily have trouble making friends - but definitely need a place that's receptive to new comers. I'm Southern by the way - the good thing is that I have plenty of time to look around and I still have a home in Rhode Island so have somewhat of a base in New England - btw - do you read the Keene Sentinel ever? My son is one of their sportswriters!

Old 01-09-2009, 05:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
In some of our smaller NH towns 54 is considered a youngster. We are reaping the reward of having many kids move out of these towns to get work in the cities and surburban rings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
View detailed profiles of: