Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 04:38 PM

27 posts, read 86,275 times

Advertisements

FYI - Property taxes in NH are very high and NH also taxes interest income. That is a big negative for retired persons. Services are limited and the winters are long, cold and dark. If you are healthy and can handle all the work that goes with snow and ice then you will be fine. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 05:10 PM

148 posts, read 389,334 times
Yes property taxes are high in a lot of areas but no State tax and no sales tax. I guess it is just a trade-off of one for the other either way they get you. Here in Kentucky they even have a property tax on your vehicle that you pay every year when you renew your registration. The newer the car the higher the property tax. Luckily my truck is old. It's crazy.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:15 PM

In NH - every year - on your birthday - you will pay a registration fee to the state and to the town for renewing your vehicle registration.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:31 PM

Is it a set fee for all vehicles or like here in Kentucky where you pay the state fee and the escalating property tax on the vehicle based on vehicle worth?

Old 01-23-2009, 05:39 PM

I think one fee is based on weight and the other fee is based on value? As your vehcile gets older the amount you pay on value will go down. The other remains the same.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:41 PM

139 posts, read 351,542 times
mt- i believe the fees are based on the value of your car each year(decreasing as the car gets older) as for taxes, we moved from long island and overall i think that our tax bill is a lot less.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:51 PM

That's encouraging skinut74. I guess it really doesn't matter where you live. If there is no State tax the property tax is higher. Here if you have a new car the property tax every year can be in the hundreds of dollars. It would be nice if they lessened the tax burden on middle America.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:04 PM

274 posts, read 952,493 times
I've heard several people talk about property taxes, but I've yet to talk to anyone who is paying more per thousand than we paid at any of the properties we've owned in Texas. It is true that NH taxes interest and dividend income at a rate of 5%, but there are ways to legally structure your estate plan for that. You just want to make sure it's set up correctly. The lack of sales tax on the other hand should be a big plus for retirees.

I suppose most of it comes down to where you want to live. Nevada has some wonderful tax laws for businesses and individuals, but I wouldn't move there if they offered me no taxes and $10K/yr as a bonus.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:28 PM

I lived in Texas too and it was nice not having a State tax but I was soooo glad to get out of there. Way to hot, terrible crime and many other minuses.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:16 PM

274 posts, read 952,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtDreamer View Post
I was soooo glad to get out of there. Way to hot, terrible crime and many other minuses.
Yep you were in Texas. Actually they'll probably rename it to Tejas in the next Legislature. http://www.sundance-communications.com/forum/graemlins/rotfl.gif (broken link)

"If I owned Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas.” -U.S. General Philip Henry Sheridan in 1866
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire