Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 07:59 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,831,697 times

Advertisements

Front page of the newspaper today: State worker layoffs inevitable.

So we have a govenor and a state legistlature that raised the budget by 17.5% and now they have to lay people off? This is simple incompetence. Imagine a corporation that spends money to grow by 17.5% and then finds it is not profitable so it has to lay off workers which costs more money in separation costs.... That CEO would be fired...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 08:53 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,296,778 times
But yet people in this state both-republicans and democrats have voted this incompetent governor in to his third term. He has a high approval rating. Why-what has he done? Other than sign in a 17.5% budget increase, sneakily sign Civil Unions in late at night (there is a backbone for ya ) and he flew around in a helicopter after all the floods. How people can have such a high opinion of this man is something that I will never understand.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:30 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,590,047 times
The 17.5% budget "increase" was a bookkeeping change to put the “off the books” spending into the budget where it could be debated. The money was being spent but not debated by the Republican administrations and legislature. This is an example of how you get better, if not politically popular, government under the Democrats.

Governor Lynch used a helicopter to coordinate recovery operations as the roads were closed and it was the only practical way to accomplish the task.

Apparently not enough visitors are vacationing in NH and eating meals at restaurants, buying booze in state stores, or buying Powerball tickets. Thus the state has to layoff underpaid and poorly represented workers. I suggest he start with the privately contracted snow plow operators and State Police patrolmen. That way the population would be reminded that State workers actually provide needed services.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:53 AM

758 posts, read 2,882,371 times
Quote:
sneakily sign Civil Unions in late at night (there is a backbone for ya )
IMO there's one thing he definitely got right....After all, we aren't the "Live Free or Die as long as you conform to my moral standards" State. Not allowing them flies directly in the face of our state motto. .

Old 01-30-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfool View Post
IMO there's one thing he definitely got right....After all, we aren't the "Live Free or Die as long as you conform to my moral standards" State. Not allowing them flies directly in the face of our state motto. .
Well, I was not commenting on whether or not I agreed nor disagreed with Civil Unions-reread what I wrote and you will see that I never stated my opinion on Civil Unions. However, this governor and legislature never ran for election on it, the majority of the citizens were against it and our governor signs it into law in the middle of the night-hiding it. To me that is a man with no backbone.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:10 AM

758 posts, read 2,882,371 times
Maybe not the middle of the night part, but signing unpopular legislation into law in spite of popular opinion (essentially risking political suicide) requires a backbone for any politician.

I think it's sad that the majority of citizens were/are against it in the first place. It speaks poorly of NH citizens......

Quote:
Well, I was not commenting on whether or not I agreed nor disagreed with Civil Unions-reread what I wrote and you will see that I never stated my opinion on Civil Unions.
Did I ever claim anything about your opinion????

Old 01-30-2009, 11:11 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,051,121 times
Is there anywhere (web site, etc) where you can see a breakout of the state budget? And I mean at a usable level of detail.

I'm very interested to see where the budget increases and cuts are occuring rather than trying to piece it together from dozens of different news reports.

As for civil unions; what two consenting adults want to do with eachother is up to them. Federal, state, and local governments should have no involvement as to who a "spouse" can be as long as it is two consenting adults (and obvious the decision to perform the marriage ceremony in a church is up to the church in question)- the freedom goes both ways.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:15 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,831,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The 17.5% budget "increase" was a bookkeeping change to put the “off the books” spending into the budget where it could be debated. The money was being spent but not debated by the Republican administrations and legislature. This is an example of how you get better, if not politically popular, government under the Democrats.
Please ignore GregW. He has stated this same 17.5%/"off the books" allegation before but has never provided anything to back up his statement other than that a politician told him this. He has been asked to "put up or shut up" before but has never presented anything; no link to an article in a newspaper, no report from the state, nothing... Ignore him until he backs up his post with some evidence....

Old 01-30-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfool View Post
Maybe not the middle of the night part, but signing unpopular legislation into law in spite of popular opinion (essentially risking political suicide) requires a backbone for any politician. I

I think it's sad that the majority of citizens were/are against it in the first place. It speaks poorly of NH citizens......

Did I ever claim anything about your opinion????
And that is your opinion and many agree with you and many do not. We are still a democracy or at least we are supposed to be so politicians should be listening to the majority of the voters-even if you or anyone else for that matter does not agree. Whether we like the issue or not-whatever that issue is, that is how democracy is supposed to work. But I suppose in 2009 the "will of the people" is outdated and not hip.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
Please ignore GregW. He has stated this same 17.5%/"off the books" allegation before but has never provided anything to back up his statement other than that a politician told him this. He has been asked to "put up or shut up" before but has never presented anything; no link to an article in a newspaper, no report from the state, nothing... Ignore him until he backs up his post with some evidence....

Don't hold your breath because we know it does not exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire