Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 06:23 AM

680 posts, read 2,440,233 times

Advertisements

I have two little kids who go through pancakes and French toast like oxygen. It's from the US and Canada. I love buying locally made syrup, but with the rate they go through it, that's reserved for special occasions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 11:58 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,266,886 times
Can't speak for the poster who just bought syrup at XMas tree shops, but when I buy it there it is usuallly Maple Grove Farms (St. Johnsbury VT) or McLure's (Littleton)

Old 02-11-2009, 12:21 PM

680 posts, read 2,440,233 times
Yes, mine is McLure's, but it has syrup from Canada as well as the US.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:29 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
Wow...
I love real syrup and it's a shame it is not more affordable for the people of NH/VT.

We have bought small amounts once in awhile but never spent more than a few dollars.

I can't justify spending $8 or $12 on syrup. (for us).

Old 02-11-2009, 10:02 PM

452 posts, read 1,733,513 times
Maple syrup is still bringing some pretty good prices. I've been collecting retail numbers for this season and, so far, 1/2 pints are being sold for $5.50 to $7.00. Pints are selling for $9.50 to $10.00 and, Quarts are in the neighborhood of $16.00 to $20.00.

It appears retail prices are 30 to 40 percent higher than last year. However, with a good 2009 season production, prices may drop a bit. I'm sure the economy may help bring down prices a bit for more local production purchases also but, is difficult to say. Many large producers use no. 2 heating oil to fire their evaporators and, thankfully, those cost have decreased for the time being.

With production cost increases and the economy, I'm considering $5.00/1/2 pint, $8.50/pt. and $15.00/Qt. would be very reasonable prices for this season and still affordable. What your opinion?.......

Old 02-12-2009, 01:56 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,137,371 times
I love real maple syrup and it's worth every penny. IF I had to buy it, I'd hate to think I was purchasing something that had corn syrup in it and wasn't labeled as such. I've heard this is happening with more frequency.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:59 PM

605 posts, read 1,842,777 times
yeah im from ontario
i heard last year wasnt cold because we had a cold march so it wasnt warm enough for the sap to run
and then by the end of march it got warm but the nights weren't cold enough

Old 02-12-2009, 03:42 PM
csw csw started this thread

31 posts, read 85,328 times
How would you know that they are mixing corn syrup into the maple syrup? Aren't they legally obligated to post this on the label?

I have to admit, growing up in Europe, I had maple syrup on pancakes only in my early twenties for the first time in my life - and I am now willing to pay any price for it, since I am totally hooked on it. But of course, it's also not an every-day-food in our house. Really looking forward to touring a sugar house...

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
I love real maple syrup and it's worth every penny. IF I had to buy it, I'd hate to think I was purchasing something that had corn syrup in it and wasn't labeled as such. I've heard this is happening with more frequency.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:21 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,137,371 times
How would you know that they are mixing corn syrup into the maple syrup? Aren't they legally obligated to post this on the label?

That is the point. You wouldn't know and there is no government agency that inspects and tracks whether products manufactured match their labels.

Vermont, OTOH, has specific laws that requires their maple syrup to be free from preservatives or any other additives.

Unfortunately, I recently had an awful experience at a restaurant in Canada. Waffles and pure maple syrup for breakfast...mmmmmm, right? That was my attitude until I saw the woman in the kitchen adding Karo syrup to the bottle of 'pure' maple syrup before she brought it out. I refused to eat the breakfast and I told her why. Of course, this is only one instance of 'bait & switch' tactics. I would like to believe that most people are not out there just to make a $$.

most people realize that the majority of syrups sold in supermarkets are made of corn syrup, I hope.
The maple syrup content in those products have dropped from 4 percent (1977) to 2 percent (1987) to 0 percent (1997). Unfortunately for anyone that uses them, the corn syrup also contains mercury. The Obama administration has just revamped the laws affecting the corn syrup industry and the products are not supposed to contain mercury after 2012.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:47 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,034,225 times
<sigh> and since corn syrup is natural, I think they can still say 100% natural (gotta watch those claims). When I first had brunch with my future in-laws, I was dismayed to find they used straight Karo for their waffles!!

BN: why would there be mercury in the corn syrup?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire