Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 09:18 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Tracking mileage certainly would be the ultimate pay as you go tax. What could be more fair you ask? Passenger car use pays nothing and commercial use pays for the wear and tear they put on the roads. That would be fair.
The MA proposal is for all vehicles. If anyone believes MA would exempt passenger cars to give the MA motorist a break , they are dreaming...

If they did this, a full size SUV would pay the same as a Prius per mile. That would not last as the next phase would be to charge the SUV owner more. Hybrids would probably get a discount... This would be another way for liberals to impose their beliefs on others and to diminish personal freedom....

I imagine GregW would get his car chipped so he can pay his fair share of MA taxes during those occasions when he visits MA....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 09:26 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
You have my position completly wrong. I do not support any sales or excise taxes. I do not want any gas tax in the first place. I also oppose any property taxes on residential (non-income) property. I think that income, and Federal tariffs to control imports, should be summed and taxed via a exponentially progressive system that exempts 80% of the citizens.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:37 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Sort of ironic, isn't it, that Massachusetts is where it all began...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthoskins View Post
Just keep adding tax after tax right Greg? History has shown that overbearing governments end up pushing to far. The United States is no exception to the rule of a government life cycle.

The Massachusetts state government is already at the point where it's sole existence is take money from it's subjects to keep it running.

History WILL repeat it self, it's not a matter of IF it's a matter of WHEN.

The American Revolution

Old 02-12-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
You have my position completly wrong. I do not support any sales or excise taxes. I do not want any gas tax in the first place. I also oppose any property taxes on residential (non-income) property. I think that income, and Federal tariffs to control imports, should be summed and taxed via a exponentially progressive system that exempts 80% of the citizens.
I'd like to see the numbers behind that proposal. The top 20% of citizens (by income? by net worth?) would have to be taxed at an 85+% rate to balance the budget....

Old 02-12-2009, 11:55 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
there is a lot of wealth in this state - I worked for a non-profit for a decade and requested a list of all the millionaires+ from the Secretary of State for fund-raising purposes. I received a BOOK, and not a small one.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
there is a lot of wealth in this state - I worked for a non-profit for a decade and requested a list of all the millionaires+ from the Secretary of State for fund-raising purposes. I received a BOOK, and not a small one.
Should the government tax wealth or income? If someone has wealth, it was probably taxed by the govt at some point when it was earned. Even when it grew by investment, it was taxed (as interest income or capital gains).

Old 02-12-2009, 01:03 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,117,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
I'd like to see the numbers behind that proposal. The top 20% of citizens (by income? by net worth?) would have to be taxed at an 85+% rate to balance the budget....

I don't think he's that sharp in math.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:22 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
Should the government tax wealth or income? If someone has wealth, it was probably taxed by the govt at some point when it was earned. Even when it grew by investment, it was taxed (as interest income or capital gains).

interesting question....capital gains tax is very low compared to the normal tax rate on earnings. If you are lucky enough to have inherited in recent years, you would not have paid any income tax on the inheritance. The Economic Growth and Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2001 has been phasing out the estate tax, and is set to repeal it in 2010. Oddly, in 2011 the tax will rise from the dead.

there are questions as to whether Madoff hid money in off-shore accounts. We know he tried to use his wife to hide his income and his possessions.

I would be willing to bet there is hidden income in NH as well. People who have money, know how to hide the fact. It isn't all earned $$$. For example, drug dealers and thieves don't report their income at any level.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:24 PM

1,200 posts, read 2,217,150 times
For the love of god, THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T NEED ANYMORE DAMN MONEY!

Old 02-13-2009, 09:01 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Motoracer - my math skills are fine. My proposals would have the income tax on incomes over the 80th percentile start at 15% and end for the very few wealthiest around 99%. I also like the net worth tax providing there is a similar deductable so the lower 80% do not have to pay. I would set this tax somewhat above the Treasury rate so the money would have to be invested someplace with higher returns.

My math skills are fine and my goal is to have the people that make the most and own the most to pay for the maintenance of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire