Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2009, 08:55 AM

571 posts, read 1,320,131 times

Advertisements

This being New Hampshire and all, I was wondering how many out there have met a Presidential Candidate or volunteered in a National campaign like Senator, Congressman or President?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 09:14 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,337,958 times
I have met or been to speeches and events for a good number of presidential candidates.

On the presidential level/VP level, I have met or attended a speech or event for:

Alan Keyes
Ron Paul
Tom Tancredo
Sarah Palin
Pat Buchanan and Ezola Foster
Joe Biden
Duncan Hunter
John Edwards
Dennis Kuchinich
Obama
Steve Forbes

I may have forgot one or two.

On the federal races, I have volunteered for Jeb Bradley for congress and also John Sununu for senate. In addition, I have volunteered for local Belknap county politicians. When I lived in Merrimack county, I did some volunteer work there as well.

I also attended events for Joe Kenney and Craig Benson when they ran for governor.

There are probably things that I am forgetting.

I will be volunteering again for the 2010 elections.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:20 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,855,481 times
I am an active member of the New Hampshire Democratic Party on the Town and County committees. I have met most of the Democratic candidates. I have met a Republican candidate, Jeff Bradley, but was not favorably impressed.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:53 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,858,443 times
The height of the activity is the primary. Most of the candidates come to the state. Bush spoke at the high school in my town one time. Gore spoke at the swim & tennis club we belonged to. The 4th of July parade in my town attracts a lot of politicians. I met Joe Biden at the parade in 2006, but was not favorably impressed. Bill Richardson and Duncan Hunter were at the parade in 2007.
I've met Gov. Lynch and Senator Sununu.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:56 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,071,351 times
Oh wow...

Counting:
Current/Past Presidents (at that time)
Current/Past Presidential Candidates (could be Senators, etc that ran at a later date)
Current/Past Congressman (Senate & House)

I'd say no less than 50 (being conservative) in the past 5 years.

None of these interactions were at-all related to NH though...
I do not volunteer/participate in political campaigns.

Edit: I met one of our house members as a result of NH.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:53 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,455,782 times
Does meeting a mayoral candidate in a different state count? As a young child I was introduced to William F. Buckley Jr.

I campaigned for Reps in Hillsborough County last year.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:43 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,147,313 times
I think I've met the majority of any candidate campaigning in NH. I've attended lots of functions and DD has performed at multiple political rallies for both parties.

I was interviewed about Bill Clinton once for WMUR-TV. They were randomly interviewing people on the street.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:22 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,478,390 times
I have met and talked with every sitting president with the exception of Obama, sense president Reagan's 2nd term. I have met with about 90 percent of the senators and Congressmen from our state as well, over the stated years. Although I don't actively volunteer time during the campaigns. I do tend to open eye's up of people who don't look at the issues like they should. I have changed votes, and like to think Influenced what and how people vote. I don't really care if they Vote for who I wish to win, at that point and time. But I do hope they look at the issues aside from TV and see where the one they want really stands. Looking at voting records etc, to see where their candidate stands. I have been told by a lot of people they changed votes after doing as I suggest. As long as they Vote as they Believe And on issues they want my work is done. As far as meeting Obama I really had no interest, He is more of a Bernie Sanders personality. I don't trust him. Obama has a Higher than tho Mentality.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:34 AM

571 posts, read 1,320,131 times
Since moving to NH 14 years ago, I have found the political scene here unique. In my old home's area, politicians were only seen on TV and in newspapers. It seemed that they only met face to face with business and Union delegations. I could write letters but that was all.
In New Hampshire, I have met our Senators and Congressmen, the Governor, the Secretary of State, Mayors of Manchester and Nashua, Several State reps and town council people. And I am not a political activist!
I was originally amazed to see the State Governor walking of foot in parades and going to the sidelines to shake hands and greet people. Another thing is how many parades there are. St. Patrick's day parade in Manchester is big, so is the 4th Of July in many towns. Milford's Labor day parade is a big affair and at these and many others politicians actually try to meet ordinary people.
As for the Presidential Primary -Well! that is a show by itself! I have met or seen several candidates - some when their candidacy was just starting and before they dropped out. I have found these rallies or meetings very educational as you can hear the politicians speak and not their press agents.
Sitting Presidents come often too and I have been to rallies with Bill Clinton and George Bush.
NH is amazing!

Old 02-16-2009, 07:49 AM

709 posts, read 1,499,866 times
What makes New Hampshire great is its libertarian activism, not the farce of partisan primaries!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire