Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 01:23 AM

257 posts, read 619,441 times

Advertisements

One major problem that the NH residents are having to deal with is the need to avoid work in other states. Businesses are actually moving up here because they often find that they have to pay NH residents dramatically more to get them to work in Maine, Vermont, Mass, or other states that gouge you and your spouse's income. I find it incredible how aggressive the public sector unions have gotten in coming after taxpayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 06:04 AM

105 posts, read 208,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxoccupancy View Post
One major problem that the NH residents are having to deal with is the need to avoid work in other states. Businesses are actually moving up here because they often find that they have to pay NH residents dramatically more to get them to work in Maine, Vermont, Mass, or other states that gouge you and your spouse's income. I find it incredible how aggressive the public sector unions have gotten in coming after taxpayers.
This makes no sense. If the businesses are moving to NH, isn't that good for NH residents and taxpayers?

Anyway, if you can't pay the state tax, you just shouldn't work there. No one's forcing you to, and it's not a RIGHT to be able to live and work in a tax-free state, it's a PRIVILEGE. Live somewhere where you can find tax-free work, if that's so important.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:15 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times
JMatt, while I have a feeling that you're mocking me , the problem is that I agree with what you said.

You have a right to look for a job, where the job is..... well, sometimes it can't be helped. Otherwise, we wouldn't be stuck down here in MD! Sometimes you have to go where the job is. sometimes life s^cks and you do what you have to do until (hopefully) you can do otherwise. It is certainly not any state's responsibility to provide you with a job simply because you want to live there.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:31 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatt View Post
This makes no sense. If the businesses are moving to NH, isn't that good for NH residents and taxpayers?

Anyway, if you can't pay the state tax, you just shouldn't work there. No one's forcing you to, and it's not a RIGHT to be able to live and work in a tax-free state, it's a PRIVILEGE. Live somewhere where you can find tax-free work, if that's so important.
Jmatt,
I could pay the state tax if I wanted to, and may yet do that if I really want to work at the shipyard. It's my choice if I'm offered a job in ME. It's obviously worth it for many NH residents to work at the shipyard and for many NH residents to work in MA. Not sure if MA taxes spousal income not derived from MA, though.

I know the difference between a right and a privilege - I defend the Constitution for a living. I believe I have a right to live in NH if I want to and can support myself - there is no test to become a NH citizen, or a qouta or application that I have to fill out to be approved. I have a right to SEEK employment where I choose.

All I'm really saying is that shipyard job would have to pay a lot more than a comparable job in NH for it to make economic sense for me to take it if I lived in NH.

I do think that it's a bunch of crap those vampires in Augusta will tax my wife's income too, even if it's derived in NH. That's plain unfair. Do you think that's fair?

Given that, I will probably work in NH if I live in NH. I have no problem with that. It's good to have choices. That's what our great country is all about, right? The opportunity to settle down wherever you feel comfortable and earn a living where you want.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:29 AM

586 posts, read 1,506,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
Spouses income also, even if she didn't work in ME? That seems unfair! You'd think they'd just tax my shipyard income (and leave my military pension alone since I'd be a NH resident). Can they really do this?
NO - I'm pretty sure they don't. Like MA, they "only" tax the income EARNED in-state, but (here's the kicker) at the RATE of your combined income (assuming you file married/joint).

I work in Boston several days a week in a fed job...find out if ME is like MA because if it is, you need to keep track of whatever days you are not actually working in ME -- for the days I telework or traveel TDY, income earned those days is NOT taxable by MA.

Jackie

Old 03-02-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdancingqueen View Post
NO - I'm pretty sure they don't. Like MA, they "only" tax the income EARNED in-state, but (here's the kicker) at the RATE of your combined income (assuming you file married/joint).

I work in Boston several days a week in a fed job...find out if ME is like MA because if it is, you need to keep track of whatever days you are not actually working in ME -- for the days I telework or traveel TDY, income earned those days is NOT taxable by MA.

Jackie
That sounds less evil than directly taxing her non-ME income. Probably wouldn't make much of a difference in tax rate anyway, since the highest ME tax bracket is pretty low from the figuring I did. I'd probably pay the highest bracket whether or not her income was counted.

I'll have to do some digging on the ME tax webpage to see if they'd try to touch my military retirement income.

Thanks for the info...

Old 03-14-2009, 10:06 AM

257 posts, read 619,441 times
The public sector unions (and other interest groups that get your tax money) are getting really aggressive at going after taxpayers. They have been totally unforgiving, and lobby hard to get more money from ordinary working people. The middle class is seen as a target, and many of the higher level bureaucrats, school superintendents, state contractors, and union officials have expressed open contempt for the taxpayers. Decades of trying to squeeze that last billion dollars out of working stiffs has made them callous and uncaring. It's impossible to express how bad things have gotten if you haven't spent a lot of time involved in state and local politics.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:33 AM

38 posts, read 116,331 times
I know this is going to sound like a stupid question...but as far as income tax... How does it work if you are a freelance computer person who works from home for companies all over the US. Do you pay income tax based on the state you live in or if you are contracted to work for a company based in CA, do you pay CA income tax? It seemed obvious to me, but after reading this thread, I am concerned.

TIA

Old 08-18-2009, 10:43 AM

880 posts, read 2,345,476 times
Have you checked out Pease? That is in NH so you wouldn't have to deal with the tax issues of Maine.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
Have you checked out Pease? That is in NH so you wouldn't have to deal with the tax issues of Maine.
Pease would be my first choice. I believe there's a lot of private development there, and less civil service opportunities though. Numbers-wise, the shipyard probably has more opportunities, although I'm not entirely sure of everything that's going on at Pease these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire