Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 09:11 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,146,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
. A bit further for trail rides, but you could bring them to the beach during the winter.

OH hey, I just thought of something. In the town of Weare, I know that there was a really nice house with barn for sale..
You can ride on the beach?!!! For a number of years my horses were boarded at a yard with direct beach access (not here in the US). There is nothing like a gallop down Mother Nature's racetrack to cure what ails you.

Yes, Weare has been on my radar. The areas around there seem to have a tremendous amount of conservation lands - which is great in our book. There just seems to be a lack of new suitable properties coming on the market (not just there really, but overall). Is this a seasonal thing with NH? I know in other places with a real winter, people wait to list until the spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinduffy View Post
From what I understand, Hay is about $7.00 a bale now and the State had just considered a $25 fee on each horse but I'm pretty sure it was squashed.
Hay price - same as where I'm now (at the feed store, cheaper if you go get it yourself). In all the states we've looked in the price of hay has been more or less the same. Farrier fees have varied wildly, but hay and feed have been pretty level across the board.

If there's anyone out there who knows about endophytes (I might of misspelled that) & fescue in NH (is this a national problem or does it vary by region?) I'd be grateful for any information as it isn't something I'm familiar with - nor was heartworm or West Nile for that matter.... It's all been a bit of a learning curve. (We didn't even have ticks!)

And this proposed $25 fee per horse... this was to be in aid of what exactly?! Doesn't seem quite in keeping with the "spirit of NH" really, does it?

I'd moved further from the Mass boarder in an effort to reduce price really - but I shall revisit. As for offering boarding... I've thought about it. The horses themselves (unless you get a real nutter) usually aren't any problem. The owners can be a different matter.

Thank you all very much for taking the time to reply. Umm - I'd post a photo if I knew how. Technology and I have a love-hate relationship. Unlike winter.... which is going to be my friend.

Any thoughts on Loudon?

Last edited by FiveHorses; 02-19-2009 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: Spelling - second cup of coffee hadn't kicked in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 10:45 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,031 times
no...you can't ride on the beach unless you are the mounted police.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
no...you can't ride on the beach unless you are the mounted police.
Fiddlesticks.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:42 PM

I know...it's disappointing. You can apply for permission through the state, but it has to be off-season. Dead winter.

people object to the horsepoop...and the hoofprints....etc., etc., etc.

amazingly, a lot of people are afraid of the beasts.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
people object to the horsepoop...and the hoofprints....etc., etc., etc.
OK, tell me, please, please, pretty please - tell me you are taking the proverbial.... object to hoof prints?

Old 02-20-2009, 05:01 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
five horses - I am pretty certain the Landaff properties are a lot less expensive than anything south of Franconia Notch. I suggest loking in that region if you want enough land to graze the horses and grow their winter food.

Incidentally the lady where I buy fresh eggs sells hay for about $5 per bale.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:07 AM

Thanks GregW, I appreciate your view on this... two major problems with the area you suggest: a) distance to Logan (it's going to be too frequent to stretch it to 3 hrs, a 6 hrs roundtrip quickly starts becoming a major pain in the backside) but, and in a way more importantly, b) it'll put me out in an "equestrian wilderness" insofar as shows, access to instructors & facilities, etc.

I currently live in such a wilderness and it is one of the two biggest push factors in me wanting "out".

Ref price of hay... somewhere in the area of $5 for decent hay is about the norm if you go collect from the grower. But hay is one of those things that you actually have to see, smell and take a random bale apart before you can get any idea of what it's worth.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:21 AM

And this proposed $25 fee per horse... this was to be in aid of what exactly?! Doesn't seem quite in keeping with the "spirit of NH" really, does it?

the woman that proposed the fee is a veterinarian...I think. She also proposed that each and every animal get a rabies vaccine annually.

She dropped her proposal like a hot potato when the state house was swarmed with horse owners. She never imagined such a reaction. One woman pointed out that she had 4 horses and an annual fee of $100 was too much. That is not even considering the rabies vaccine that can be very expensive.

Although I'm sure it's possible that a horse could contact rabies, it's not likely. I've never heard of an horse in NH, or anywhere in New England for that matter, coming down with the virus.

I'm not sure where she wanted the money to go to..... Information pamphlets maybe????

I'm glad the whole proposal was dropped. Live Free or Die.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:24 AM

Any thoughts on Loudon?

I lived in Loudon for a short stretch back in the '70's. It's a very nice town that has been built up a bit since that time. I'm sure you would like it. The only drawback I can imagine is during race season when the main road is one-way during the races and traffic is horrendous. However, there are back roads to get around on.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
the woman that proposed the fee is a veterinarian...I think. She also proposed that each and every animal get a rabies vaccine annually.

Although I'm sure it's possible that a horse could contact rabies, it's not likely. I've never heard of an horse in NH, or anywhere in New England for that matter, coming down with the virus.
We do vaccinate for rabies annually where we are - but in cities and urban areas small animals (cats, dogs) are good for three years. However they seem to do horses annually ... the exact logic of this escaped me, but as my horses were boarded when we first moved here ("here" being the US), I had no choice. Out where we are it's recommended that it be done annually for all animals that go outside. If I remember my stats, in 07 I believe there were somewhere around 7 (+/-) equine rabies cases statewide (which was lower than the total of bovine cases). That said, I've never encountered such excessive vaccination regimes as I have here.

In cities & urban areas - bats are the (overwhelmingly) main transmitters of rabies. Out here, it's Pepe Le Pew.

Still, I'd like to be able to decide myself how often and what vaccination any of my animals gets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire